Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun June 24th, 2018, 01:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 09:21 GMT 

I had never seen this before. Maybe others hadn't.

Set List:
- Don't Think Twice
- It Takes A Lot To Laugh
- Born in Time (duet)
- Leopard Skin Pill-box Hat
- Not Dark Yet
- Crossroads

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQMI8XSMV8

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FShJGepmjT0

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4k8M9YbBpc

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 12:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Russ333 wrote:
I had never seen this before. Maybe others hadn't.

Set List:
- Don't Think Twice
- It Takes A Lot To Laugh
- Born in Time (duet)
- Leopard Skin Pill-box Hat
- Not Dark Yet
- Crossroads

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQMI8XSMV8

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FShJGepmjT0

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4k8M9YbBpc

I love how Bob takes the lead breaks in Not Dark Yet while
one of the world’s greatest guitarists looks on.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 12:33 GMT 

I think I've got this show on Dvd, isn't it a benefit concert for Clapton's drug rehab charity?

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 13:30 GMT 

Yeah, but limited to only two songs; Don't Think Twice, and Crossroads if memory serves.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 

I didnt know he did Leopard Skin Pillbox hat. Every few years it seems like I have found out about a new song on this performance. I originally thought the only did Crossroads.

Still, I have no real impetus to listen to it. Eric Clapton is of course a technically incredibly skilled rock guitarist. But I just don't really care to hear these, which speaks to my feelings about Clapton's music more than anything about Bob.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 17:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Dylan/Clapton "Don't Think Twice" is possible one of the greatest duets of all time.
The late great Bennyboy made that observation, and I tend to agree with him. The song itself is one of Dylan's greatest, and his delivery here is superb, subtle yet nuanced in a number of ways to show his virtuoso capability of varying his vocal delivery. Then...Bob's electric leads matching the work of guitar god Clapton is the icing on the cake. The video and audio quality of this recording is superb, and Bob is
in a very comfortable, natural mood. Clapton correctly and impressively takes a back seat to Bob, but throws in some sweet guitar licks to accentuate what Bob is doing, with equally subtle, yet spectacular results. That's the good news.

The bad news? Russ333 has committed a Dylan Fan Felony in admitting he was not aware of this performance. Inexcusable. However, this being Christmas, the fine and permenent scar on his record are being waived, which is great, because the fine is being forced to listen to 6 hours straight of Barry Manilow.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

ApocalypseKurtz wrote:
I didnt know he did Leopard Skin Pillbox hat. Every few years it seems like I have found out about a new song on this performance. I originally thought the only did Crossroads.

Still, I have no real impetus to listen to it. Eric Clapton is of course a technically incredibly skilled rock guitarist. But I just don't really care to hear these, which speaks to my feelings about Clapton's music more than anything about Bob.

They did Leopard Skin Pill-box Hat?

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 11:42 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
The Dylan/Clapton "Don't Think Twice" is possible one of the greatest duets of all time.
The late great Bennyboy made that observation, and I tend to agree with him. The song itself is one of Dylan's greatest, and his delivery here is superb, subtle yet nuanced in a number of ways to show his virtuoso capability of varying his vocal delivery. Then...Bob's electric leads matching the work of guitar god Clapton is the icing on the cake. The video and audio quality of this recording is superb, and Bob is
in a very comfortable, natural mood. Clapton correctly and impressively takes a back seat to Bob, but throws in some sweet guitar licks to accentuate what Bob is doing, with equally subtle, yet spectacular results. That's the good news.

The bad news? Russ333 has committed a Dylan Fan Felony in admitting he was not aware of this performance. Inexcusable. However, this being Christmas, the fine and permenent scar on his record are being waived, which is great, because the fine is being forced to listen to 6 hours straight of Barry Manilow.

I always thought I was the only one who appreciated this performance of Don't think twice. It's truly sublime and unique. Shame he never followed through. And how young and vibrant he looked there...

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 01:52 GMT 

Is there a better place than YouTube to find a recording of their entire set together? The YouTube selections, above, cut off the end of Crossroads at the end of the second link. It finishes on the beginning of the third link.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 02:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Steverino wrote:
Is there a better place than YouTube to find a recording of their entire set together? The YouTube selections, above, cut off the end of Crossroads at the end of the second link. It finishes on the beginning of the third link.

You can buy the official DVD on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 04:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

I've seen songs here and there but don't remember seeing the whole thing like this. A few cuts seem new to me altogether. What a real treat, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 16:57 GMT 

A real treat indeed, great footage thank you for posting.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 17:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

It makes you wish Bob had done a whole record with Clapton, or a live one of this stuff plus a few more. It would easily surpass the "Dylan and Dead" fiasco, probably one of the biggest musical disappointments in history.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 18:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

chrome horse wrote:
It makes you wish Bob had done a whole record with Clapton, or a live one of this stuff plus a few more. It would easily surpass the "Dylan and Dead" fiasco, probably one of the biggest musical disappointments in history.

Considering Dylan & The Dead only has 7 tracks and the above performance has 6 tracks, there's pretty much a live album's worth already.

Edit: Bob also played on the final encore Bright Lights Big City - so there is 7 tracks. Go make your own live album! :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 18:24 GMT 

" Not dark yet " is fantastic, but also the rest.