Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu July 19th, 2018, 00:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 06:41 GMT 

It his original recordings of songs that inspired the stage play 'Girl From The North Country'. Track listing follows.

CD1
1. Sign On The Window
2. Went To See The Gypsy
3. Tight Connection To My Heart (Has
Anybody Seen My Love)
4. Slow Train
5. License To Kill
6. Ballad Of A Thin Man
7. I Want You
8. Blind Willie McTell
9. Like A Rolling Stone
10. Make You Feel My Love
11. You Ain’tGoin’ Nowhere
12. Jokerman
13. Sweetheart Like You

CD2
1. True Love Tends To Forget
2. Girl From The North Country
3. Hurricane
4. All Along The Watchtower
5. Idiot Wind
6. Lay Down Your Weary Tune
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Señor(Tales Of Yankee Power)
9. Is Your Love In Vain?
10. Lay, Lady, Lay
11. Forever Young
12. My Back Pages

Due for release in the UK on Jan 12th, 2018. I'm booked to see the play in March.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 07:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well that was anti-climatic...

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 08:21 GMT 

when Isis sent an email out I was excited to read New Dylan CD.... and yes Id have taken more covers!!!

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 10:53 GMT 

Having Hurricane and Watchtower as consecutive tracks is an odd choice, given that the chord structure is practically identical.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 13:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quite true. They should have followed Rolling Stone with Handy Dandy as well. Looks like a nice selection of tracks, some of which don't get on anthologies often.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 15:29 GMT 

Will there be a bonus disk with the songs that inspired Hamlet?

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 16:14 GMT 
Senior Moderator

One more I just need to buy.. it's hard being a collector.. :P

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 16:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
It his original recordings of songs that inspired the stage play 'Girl From The North Country'. Track listing follows.

CD1
1. Sign On The Window
2. Went To See The Gypsy
3. Tight Connection To My Heart (Has
Anybody Seen My Love)
4. Slow Train
5. License To Kill
6. Ballad Of A Thin Man
7. I Want You
8. Blind Willie McTell
9. Like A Rolling Stone
10. Make You Feel My Love
11. You Ain’tGoin’ Nowhere
12. Jokerman
13. Sweetheart Like You

CD2
1. True Love Tends To Forget
2. Girl From The North Country
3. Hurricane
4. All Along The Watchtower
5. Idiot Wind
6. Lay Down Your Weary Tune
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Señor(Tales Of Yankee Power)
9. Is Your Love In Vain?
10. Lay, Lady, Lay
11. Forever Young
12. My Back Pages

Due for release in the UK on Jan 12th, 2018. I'm booked to see the play in March.

If this was the set list for the 2019 NET I would be half tempted to max out a credit card to see the show! If he threw in a gospel tune or two, the temptation would be over... acquire another credit card and max that out too!!!

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 16:54 GMT 

Interesting compilation, anyone who hasn't heard the originals might be in for a shock (good and bad, I guess). But all these songs were used for the play?? Did anyone see it? I'm curious to know how they used some of these songs. I saw Tight Connection and I thought it was something else, it was funny to see them using that song in particular in a dramatic way.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 17:41 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
Interesting compilation, anyone who hasn't heard the originals might be in for a shock (good and bad, I guess). But all these songs were used for the play?? Did anyone see it? I'm curious to know how they used some of these songs. I saw Tight Connection and I thought it was something else, it was funny to see them using that song in particular in a dramatic way.

19 of them ended up in the final version but they went through all the rest during rehearsals and previews.
They use the songs in the play as ways to show the inner feelings of the characters, rather than make them part of the narrative.
I really liked it, although I know many didn't. But then, I also think Dylan ghost wrote it. All the jokes and themes are so him. And those song choices? They're exactly the songs Bob thinks are his good songs. #conspiracytheory

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 07:27 GMT 

Well, obviously this collection is for people who don't know Bobs music yet, but have been to the stage play.
Does this make sense? How many people are interested in listening to the original versions of songs they might have heard at the stage play the night before? How many of them are willing to buy a double album? Aren't there enough compilations around to introduce Bob Dylan to the uninitiated?

Of course this product could be just another attempt at milking the cow: there are probably enough completists out there to justify yet another compilation of songs that have been available a million times before.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 07:47 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Well, obviously this collection is for people who don't know Bobs music yet, but have been to the stage play.
Does this make sense? How many people are interested in listening to the original versions of songs they might have heard at the stage play the night before? How many of them are willing to buy a double album? Aren't there enough compilations around to introduce Bob Dylan to the uninitiated?

Of course this product could be just another attempt at milking the cow: there are probably enough completists out there to justify yet another compilation of songs that have been available a million times before.

Agreed, for someone who's actually going to see the production I now have the choice of buying the Original London Cast Recording Soundtrack or the 2CD set of Dylan originals. As I have all those original tracks I was thinking of buying the first mentioned although some of the tracks are shortened versions of the originals. Here's how the Soundtrack CD pans out:

1. Sign On the Window (Karl Queensborough;Bronagh Gallagher;Kirsty Malpass;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
2. Went to See the Gypsy (Debbie Kurup;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
3. Tight Connection to My Heart (Sheila Atim;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
4. Slow Train Coming/License to Kill (Michael Shaeffer;Arinzé Kene;Debbie Kurup;Sheila Atim;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
5. Ballad of a Thin Man (Instrumental) (Scarecrow Hat)
6. I Want You (Sam Reid;Claudia Jolly)
7. Blind Willie McTell (Instrumental) (Scarecrow Hat)
8. Like a Rolling Stone/To Make You Feel My Love (Shirley Henderson;Debbie Kurup;Kirsty Malpass;Bronagh Gallagher;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
9. Like a Rolling Stone (Reprise)/I Want You (Shirley Henderson;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
10. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere/Jokerman (Karl Queensborough;Claudia Jolly;Tom Peters;Sheila Atim;Debbie Kurup;Kirsty Malpass;Bronagh Gallagher;Shirley Henderson;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
11.Sweetheart Like You/True Love Tends to Forget (Bronagh Gallagher;Debbie Kurup;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
12. Girl from the North Country (Kirsty Malpass;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
13. Hurricane/All Along the Watchtower/Idiot Wind (Arinzé Kene;Sheila Atim;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
14. Lay Down Your Weary Tune (Instrumental) (Scarecrow Hat)
15. Duquesne Whistle/Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)/Is Your Love In Vain?/License to Kill (Jack Shalloo;Claudia Jolly;Michael Shaeffer;Stanley Townsend;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country;Bronagh Gallagher)
16. Tight Connection to My Heart (Underscore/Reprise) (Scarecrow Hat;Sheila Atim)
17. Lay Lady Lay (Instrumental)/Jokerman (Reprise)/Clair de Lune (Scarecrow Hat;Sheila Atim;Bronagh Gallagher;Claudia Jolly;Debbie Kurup;Kirsty Malpass;Shirley Henderson)
18. Forever Young (Shirley Henderson;Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country)
19. My Back Pages (Scarecrow Hat)

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 07:57 GMT 

I've put together a Spotify playlist of random Dylan tracks. You completist collectors can buy it off me for the very rrasonable sum of your diminished dignity.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 08:22 GMT 

McG wrote:
I've put together a Spotify playlist of random Dylan tracks. You completist collectors can buy it off me for the very rrasonable sum of your diminished dignity.

Thanks, are there any obscure gems included. I'm looking for the cheque book right now!

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 11:01 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
McG wrote:

Thanks, are there any obscure gems included. I'm looking for the cheque book right now!

Yes, the album versions of 'Like A Rolling Stone' and 'Tangled Up In Blue' are on there. Deep cuts, man.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 14:00 GMT 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Which-In ... A382528011

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 14:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Aren't there enough compilations around to introduce Bob Dylan to the uninitiated?

Yup. And enough covers too.
Won’t be throwing a penny at either of these.

This also seems to throw water on the notion of
a possible new Bob album in the Winter/Spring.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 16:04 GMT 

Will the songs from Street Legal be remastered for the umpteenth time?

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 19:46 GMT 

keithdylan wrote:
Will the songs from Street Legal be remastered for the umpteenth time?

I've lost count exactly how many times that album or tracks from it have been remastered. How many versions are there now?

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 19:51 GMT 

I have no clue how many versions there are, but I sure wish there was a remastering with the backing singers edited out... sorry if that comes across nasty.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 21:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
I have no clue how many versions there are, but I sure wish there was a remastering with the backing singers edited out... sorry if that comes across nasty.

I dunno. Pretty hard to imagine New Pony without the:
“How much? How much? How much longer?”

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 22:54 GMT 

Can to wait to see how you react to the news that women got the vote in the early 20th Century.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 06:52 GMT 

Couldn't agree more. I'd love to hear the Street Legal demos, without the 'wall of noise' production.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 07:17 GMT 

McG wrote:

Can to wait to see how you react to the news that women got the vote in the early 20th Century.

Can't wait to see how you react to the news that I happen to be a woman myself, and I assume I have the right to dislike some singers, male and female.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 08:14 GMT 

Diffusing the situation I'll try and paste the artwork!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.