Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat January 20th, 2018, 08:58 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 08:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 548
Location: Homer, AK
https://youtu.be/-_zSACFYoQk

Nice to see 8-] Usually he mangles his words and confounds expectactions beyond belief and recognition.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 12:20 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21548
Deja vu all over again.
Someone started the same thread a few days earlier,
and at least used a descriptive subject title for the ER reader, so people don’t get sucked back into the same ole singalong with Bob Dylan you tube that’s been going around.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92474

Not meant to come off as snarkish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 13:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:46 GMT
Posts: 1004
One gig I was at in 1984 he actually directed a singalong to Blowing
in the Wind with 'now the men, now the women'. Very surreal & funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 18018
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
A testament to the greatness of '80s Dylan. It has to make you wonder what people are thinking when they dismiss his '80s work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 17:01 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1304
Why have I never seen this before??? This is some of the most jaw-dropping Dylan footage I've ever seen (first clip).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 21:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 548
Location: Homer, AK
Thought that too. Never seen that 84 footage before. There's some great stuff from then, some with Santana where Dylan is on fire and very animated.

Someone should start a dylanvideo.onion where WebSheriff is powerless. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 

Joined: Tue October 2nd, 2007, 00:13 GMT
Posts: 126
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Why have I never seen this before??? This is some of the most jaw-dropping Dylan footage I've ever seen (first clip).


Hey, I'm the person who put this video together. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The first clip comes from a concert Dylan staged in Barcelona, alongside Carlos Santana, on June 28, 1984, parts of which were professionally recorded for broadcast on Spanish television. "Blowin' in the Wind" was the night's encore performance; you can see it in full, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwmFTIfl1tY

Clinton Heylin has called it "one of the most exciting performances of Dylan ever filmed," which is a sentiment I would heartily second. Here's Paul Williams describing the scene, in "Bob Dylan: Performing Artist: The Middle Years, 1974-1986":

"The footage of the last encore, 'Blowin’ In The Wind' is priceless. Dylan had been encouraging the fans to sing along on the choruses to this song for about two weeks, but on this evening the crowd – who had been wonderful all through the performance – caught Dylan by surprise. They started singing – loudly and in fine harmony – at the first chorus, and Dylan is visibly and audibly startled, and then deeply moved."

There's also footage of Dylan doing "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" from earlier in the evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXYLqEpJ74

And, if you're interested, the entire concert is available in audio form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751XoZ25fj8


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 548
Location: Homer, AK
Untrodden Path wrote:
A testament to the greatness of '80s Dylan. It has to make you wonder what people are thinking when they dismiss his '80s work.


As long as he wasn't singing new material, he was bringing in tens of thousands to venues. By 85, he was hittin' the bottle [farm aid], got drunk married in 86 [his new bride said whenever hed come home he was drunk and would stay drunk], the petty and dead tour were a mess [the booze money tour], and by 88 he realized he had to tour forever to stay out of bankruptcy since Carolyn would soon get 20mil, half his worth. Poor guy didn't learn from Sara when she took 40mil back in the late 70s plus half his royalties for life. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 14th, 2017, 05:18 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1304
hjh wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Why have I never seen this before??? This is some of the most jaw-dropping Dylan footage I've ever seen (first clip).


Hey, I'm the person who put this video together. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The first clip comes from a concert Dylan staged in Barcelona, alongside Carlos Santana, on June 28, 1984, parts of which were professionally recorded for broadcast on Spanish television. "Blowin' in the Wind" was the night's encore performance; you can see it in full, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwmFTIfl1tY

Clinton Heylin has called it "one of the most exciting performances of Dylan ever filmed," which is a sentiment I would heartily second. Here's Paul Williams describing the scene, in "Bob Dylan: Performing Artist: The Middle Years, 1974-1986":

"The footage of the last encore, 'Blowin’ In The Wind' is priceless. Dylan had been encouraging the fans to sing along on the choruses to this song for about two weeks, but on this evening the crowd – who had been wonderful all through the performance – caught Dylan by surprise. They started singing – loudly and in fine harmony – at the first chorus, and Dylan is visibly and audibly startled, and then deeply moved."

There's also footage of Dylan doing "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" from earlier in the evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXYLqEpJ74

And, if you're interested, the entire concert is available in audio form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751XoZ25fj8


Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 14th, 2017, 05:54 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1304
Where does Heylin mention it? Behind the Shades?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 14th, 2017, 16:56 GMT 

Joined: Tue October 2nd, 2007, 00:13 GMT
Posts: 126
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Where does Heylin mention it? Behind the Shades?


Not Behind the Shades. I believe it's in "Dylan Day By Day: A Life in Stolen Moments."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue April 14th, 2015, 06:34 GMT
Posts: 987
Location: In a tropical storm
dylanswife wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
A testament to the greatness of '80s Dylan. It has to make you wonder what people are thinking when they dismiss his '80s work.


As long as he wasn't singing new material, he was bringing in tens of thousands to venues. By 85, he was hittin' the bottle [farm aid], got drunk married in 86 [his new bride said whenever hed come home he was drunk and would stay drunk], the petty and dead tour were a mess [the booze money tour], and by 88 he realized he had to tour forever to stay out of bankruptcy since Carolyn would soon get 20mil, half his worth. Poor guy didn't learn from Sara when she took 40mil back in the late 70s plus half his royalties for life. :?


dylanswife: The money 'Sara...took' was to support their five children (including the daughter Bob adopted). By all accounts, she was not wasteful. It is the mark of a decent parent to support his/her children as well as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 20:22 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu July 10th, 2008, 15:11 GMT
Posts: 11604
Location: brighton uk
Debatable; I tend to think it is the mark of a good parent to give a child the ability to support itself, ultimately. That can (maybe should) be done in ways that do not involve passing on large amounts of money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 21:18 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1944
Location: Ireland
There's no debate-you are both right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 05:46 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 548
Location: Homer, AK
There are no winners in a divorce-custody battle; it always comes down to how badly do I have I fùck up my kids by doing this.

I feel for Desi (Destiny) Dennis and any other lesser known kids to the public that Bob may have. Jakob mentioned his pops attended many of his baseball games, which is admirable and honorable. He [Bob] really went all in with being a daddy and making sure his family was the most important thing surrounding him from 1966-1973 I think. Anyone else would probably have committed career suicide for taking off that much time and then fade off into obscurity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 02:58 GMT 

Joined: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 512
dylanswife wrote:
https://youtu.be/-_zSACFYoQk

Nice to see 8-] Usually he mangles his words and confounds expectactions beyond belief and recognition.


I was front row center, right next to the guy recording 12 gates to the city.
No one knew the song when he began. I didn’t either but I picked up the words pretty fast and BAM, out popped a sing a long. Lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 115th, Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group