Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 20th, 2018, 10:44 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 03:58 GMT 

On Sunday's episode of the Simpsons, Bart got stuck in a Cold War era bunker. With nothing to do, at one point he starts flipping through the bunker's record collection and one is called "Sinatra Ruins Dylan."

Not sure if any of the writers are aware of it, but I find it amusing that the exact opposite could be said by some about Dylan's last three albums! :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 06:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Whoa, we've finally found the last person that watches The Simpsons.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 08:23 GMT 

Jordan wrote:
Not sure if any of the writers are aware of it, but I find it amusing that the exact opposite could be said by some about Dylan's last three albums! :lol:

I'm pretty sure that's the joke.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 08:41 GMT 

I believe Sinatra ruins Dylan by singing Dylan better than Dylan.

Damn that's a lot of Dylan.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 08:45 GMT 

Did ole blue eyes ever cover any Bob songs?

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 18:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

wormington wrote:
Did ole blue eyes ever cover any Bob songs?

No.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 19:26 GMT 

I haven’t watched The Simpsons in quite some time, but I believe there was a Dylan reference a number of years ago as well. I don’t remember the context or exact quote, but it involved Grandpa Simpson saying something like the world’s been going to hell in a hand basket ever since Dylan went electric.

Does anyone recall this reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 20:43 GMT 

I don't remember that one but I remember a reference that went something like this:

Bob Dylan once wrote a song to keep Jack Crowley [Simpson's character?] in prison.

Another was very obscure, as I think it was a reference to Homer saying something like Dignity had never been photographed and may have been coincidence.

[edit: it was kirk]

https://youtu.be/v-NH6TGZTcc

Last edited by dylanswife on Wed December 13th, 2017, 20:52 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 20:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's loads of them. Of course this might be the most blatant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLCewTcb-jc

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 16:19 GMT 

Actually, to me the idea of Sinatra doing an album of Dylan covers doesn't sound too far fetched for me. Of course it never happened, but at some point in the 60ies, it could have been quite possible. And I don't think that Frank could have ruined Bob's songs more than some other artists from that period did.

Speaking of the Simpsons, did Bob himself ever appear on that show? Giving his voice to some character? And I may be wrong, but somehow I can remember Bob talking about the Simpsons on TTRH. Something about how Berns is his favorite character there.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 16:59 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Speaking of the Simpsons, did Bob himself ever appear on that show? Giving his voice to some character? And I may be wrong, but somehow I can remember Bob talking about the Simpsons on TTRH. Something about how Berns is his favorite character there.

I don't think he has, but according to is article he was approached at least once: http://ew.com/article/1996/05/10/simpso ... -and-roll/
Wikipedia says he was also one of the top choices to play Homer's spirit guide (the coyote) in 'The Mysterious Voyage of Homer', which ended up going to Johnny Cash. I wish Bob would go on the Simpsons, he would be great!

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 17:50 GMT 

Johnny Cash really likes to make Bob laugh is the feeling I always got, so good choice I say!

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 19:03 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Actually, to me the idea of Sinatra doing an album of Dylan covers doesn't sound too far fetched for me. Of course it never happened, but at some point in the 60ies, it could have been quite possible. And I don't think that Frank could have ruined Bob's songs more than some other artists from that period did.

In the Christmas episode of TTRH, Bob references Matt Groening being a big fan of Brave Combo - who of course did the original version of Must Be Santa.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 19:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Actually, to me the idea of Sinatra doing an album of Dylan covers doesn't sound too far fetched for me. Of course it never happened, but at some point in the 60ies, it could have been quite possible.

No, Sinatra was still very much on the other side of generational divide in the 60's. An album solely of Dylan songs would not have been seen as something his audience would have gone for, or vice versa. The Sinatra generation largely wouldn't have bought it, the younger kids would have laughed at it, it would have been a disaster.

Then there is the issue of Sinatra finding enough songs that he would have wanted to do from Dylan's relatively slim catalog at that point. In the far fetched scenario that he had done it, it would have been later, maybe early 80's. Sinatra did devote an album to pop poet Rod McKuen in the late 60's, which was more of a direct collaboration btw. the two, McKuen wrote all the material expressly for Sinatra. IIRC, besides an Alec Wilder album that Sinatra conducted, the McKuen is the only album that Sinatra has done by a single writer. Anything else in his catalog that resembles such is a compilation of one type or another.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 06:23 GMT 

Jordan wrote:
On Sunday's episode of the Simpsons, Bart got stuck in a Cold War era bunker. With nothing to do, at one point he starts flipping through the bunker's record collection and one is called "Sinatra Ruins Dylan."

It could be said, but then its only an opinion or it could be that Dylan fans never really gave the last three albums a chance beforehand.

They also moaned about Good as I been to you and World Gone wrong at the time of release. and mostly it seems they changed their minds.

Simpsons could really make a joke about simon cowell or the x factor that would be easier, but then it could be that the simpsons ran out of ideas ages ago anyway.