Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed January 17th, 2018, 13:09 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 03:09 GMT 

A cover image popped up today on a Beatles' fan site for an upcoming 2018 gray market release featuring the Beatles jamming with David Crosby. The Beatles first met Crosby during their 1965 US tour, and apparently grew close to him. Crosby visited Abbey Road at least a couple of times while they were recording SGT. PEPPER in 1967. This particular tape, judging from its track listing, mainly features Crosby jamming and chatting with John Lennon.

Honestly, for all I know, this is a total hoax, but the manufacturers will apparently be making it available for free on the internet come January 1, 2018 (presumably the date on which European copyright law allows the tape to fall into public domain).

According to the CD liner notes, the manufacturer will also soon be issue a CD of the Beatles jamming with Bob Dylan. No dates as to when that recording was made, but presumably it won't be the already-booted Harrison/Dylan recordings from 1968 & 1970, as those recordings are not yet Public Domain under European copyright law. But obviously, the Beatles met with Dylan several times prior to 1968 (including the notorious Aug 1964 encounter when Bob turned them onto a certain leafy substance).

Here's a copy of that David Crosby?Beatles cover image, for those who are interested:

https://imgur.com/a/5rYiM

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 03:16 GMT 

There are a couple of comps/boots out there sort of related to this:

The Beatles Play (With) Dylan - Vol. 1

Label Columbus
Catalogue No. STATB 12
Country Of Origin ?
Release Date 2004

Rear Cover Headings: The Beatles and Bob Dylan
First Long And Winding Ride On Highway 61
Volume One: The Sixties (1964-1969)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The C.D.

1 Intro Sequed Beatles and Dylan snippets 1:25
2 John's Intro "I don't believe in Zimmerman"
From the Rolling Stone interview of 1970 (note the Tom Jones comment) 0:24
The Beatles catch Dylan's mind '64 - "THOSE CHORDS"
3 I Want To Hold Your Hand Beatles Live BBC 1964
Dylan heard this track on the radio and misheard "I Get High"
"I Get High" is sampled from the song and repeated at the end. 2:32
4 I Wanna Be Your Lover Dylan song inspired by "I Wanna Be Your Man". 3:33
Dylan catches The Beatles attention - "THOSE AMAZING WORDS"
5 He Was Our Idol/My First Marijuana Cigarette Interviews with Paul, Ringo and George for the 1995 Anthology series 2:18
The Beatles play like Dylan '64/65 - The Ballad Of John And Bob Part 1.
6 I'm A Loser Takes 1 and 2
Allegedly the first Dylanesque words by John. 2:28
7 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away Takes 1 and 5 *
Preceded by a Dylan quote, then Paul breaks a glass. 2:51
8 "All of us are Dylan fans" Excerpt from a Beatles U.S. press conference. 1:11
9 Norwegian Wood Take 1
The classic Lennon Dylan pastiche.
Dylan mentions in his Biograph that he and John wrote a song together in 1965. 2:06
10 Fourth Time Around (Live) Dylan live in Melbourne 1966
Dylan's answer to Norwegian Wood, based on John's song. 5:05
11 "I Remember It Well - Albert Hall" Interview with George for Anthology. 0:34
12 Car Sick Blues 25th May 1966 - Dylan and Lennon car ride
Unised excerpt from Dylan's "Eat The Document" film. 7:55
13 Tea Rutles Parody from 1977. 0:37
The Beatles play Dylan in India - Rishikesh Tape 3/68
14 Blowing In The Wind Singalong (one can hear the Maharishi laughing)
The very first known film recording of The Beatles singing Dylan. 0:37
Music from The Big Pink 11/68 - The Ballad Of George And Bob Part 1.
15 "It was a turning point for me" Interview with George and Ringo for Anthology 1:08
16 I Forgot To Remember To Forget Her Dylan version of a song George sang during the Decca sessions. 3:16
17 "Strange chord G Major 7th" Interview with George for the All Things Must Pass promo in 2000 0:37
18 Everytime Somebody Comes To Town
(Nowhere To Go) 30th April 1970 - Dylan-Harrison in an informal jam session recorded at Dylan's MacDougal Street townhouse on Dylan's home recording equipment. 1:29
19 I'd Have You Anytime 1:54
The Beatles play Dylan during the Get Back sessions - January 1969
20 "Very unhealthy and unhappy" Interview with George for Anthology series. 0:34
21 Please Mrs. Henry G.B.no. 3.14 0:50
22 Rambling Woman/I Threw It All Away #1 G.B.no. 3.15 2:21
23 Rambling Woman/I Threw It All Away #2
plus, Mama, You've Been On My Mind G.B.no. 9.85, 9.86 & 9.87 6:47
24 Positively 4th Street G.B.no. 28.23 1:01
25 I Shall Be Released #1 G.B.no. 2.17 1:44
26 I Shall Be Released #2 G.B.no. 7.23 1:42
27 I Shall Be Released #3 G.B.no. 22.4 3:08
28 I Shall Be Released #4 0:30
29 I Shall Be Released #5 1:29
30 Blowing In The Wind G.B.no. 3.28 0:32
31 It Ain't Me Babe G.B.no. 6.54 0:23
George produces a Dylan song with Billy Preston
32 She Belongs To Me Billy Preston 4:05 **
Dylan live at the Isle Of Wight with John, George, Ringo and wives in the audience 8/69
33 She Belongs To Me Dylan 2:38 ***
34 I Threw It All Away Dylan 3:13
35 John's Outro A Dylan parody of 1979 0:03
After the concert .. The Ballad of John and Bob abandoned
36 Cold Turkey Demo Take 1 3:46
Reprise
37 Mama, You've Been On My Mind (better mix) 2:06

Please note

* Track 7 on this boot featured Takes 1, 2 and 5 of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away". I've replaced these with the Alt Mono Version from the bootleg "Alternative Help"

** Track 32 ("She Belongs To Me" by Billy Preston, produced by George Harrison, has been excluded

*** Track 33 (Dylan doing "She Belongs To Me" at the Isle of Wight in 1969) has been removed as I concluded that it was the same version that's on "Self Portrait"

=====================================

Working on a Guru (sequel to "The Beatles Play (with) Bob Dylan")

01 Working On A Guru - Bob & George
02 George Harrison speaks (over If Not For You rehearsal with Dylan)
03 Dylan Intro
04 Blowin' In The Wind
05 It Takes a Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry
06 Just Like a Woman
07 Phil Spector speaks
08 Love Minus Zero/No Limit
09 Phil Spector speaks
10 A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
11 Phil Spector speaks
12 Like A Rolling Stone/Dig It - John Lennon
13 Dylan - John & Yoko "Rolling Stone" Interview - 8 Dec 70
14 "Waiter For Christ" - John Lennon
15 Serve Yerself (John's Bob Dylan parodies)
16 Lord, Take This Make Up Off Me/News of The Day (From Reuters) (John's Bob Dylan parodies)
17 Here Comes The Sun - Bob Dylan
18 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 - Bob & George
19 Congratulations
20 Nowhere Man
21 Like A Ship
22 Abandoned Love
23 Rockline Medley (Here Comes The Sun, Bells of Rhymney, Mr Tambourine Man, Here Comes The Sun, Take Me As I Am Or Let Me Go, That's Alright Mama, Let It Be Me, Something,Every Grain Of Sand)
24 Something

t1 Dylan Harrison Session 1 May 1970
t2-11 Concert for Bangladesh, Afternoon show (Radio 1972) - Bob with George and Ringo
t12 from Lennon's Birthday Party 9 Oct 71
t13 John & Yoko "Rolling Stone" Interview - 8 Dec 70
t14 Lennon's Secret Diary Tape
t15-16 Lennon 1979-80 (Lost Lennon Tapes Vol. 4)
t17 Dylan, Earls Court 1 July 81
t18 Dylan & Harrison Wembley Arena 17 Oct 87
t19 Dylan, Birmingham 7 JUn 89
t20 Dylan, Edmonton
t21 Travelling Wilburys outtake
t22 Harrison, Demo recorded 1983-85
t23 Harrison & Jeff Lynne, KLOS 10 Feb 88
t24 Dylan, Madison Square Garden, NYC 13 Nov 02

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 03:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Crosby / Lennon / Harrison thing appears like it would be some kind of home tape. Lennon had a sort of recording studio in the attic of his estate, Kenwood. There's not been any documented recordings of Lennon or Beatles and Crosby that were made at Abbey Road.

No reference to Crosby at all in the index of Richie Unterberger's exhaustive The Unreleased Beatles, an essential tome if you're interested in this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 04:06 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
The Crosby / Lennon / Harrison thing appears like it would be some kind of home tape. Lennon had a sort of recording studio in the attic of his estate, Kenwood. There's not been any documented recordings of Lennon or Beatles and Crosby that were made at Abbey Road.

No reference to Crosby at all in the index of Richie Unterberger's exhaustive The Unreleased Beatles, an essential tome if you're interested in this stuff.

I'd be shocked if these were anything other than home tapes. Or tapes made with a portable recorder. That said, Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn says David Crosby attended the 22 Feb 67 evening recording session at Abbey Road, which was largely devoted to "A Day in the Life" and an unreleased jam called "Anything," which apparently was a 22-minute drum/tambourine/conga track. Lewisohn doesn't mention that Crosby participated in this recording.

Beatles Monthly and Rolling Stone magazine also say that Crosby (along with Hollies' guitarist Tony Hicks) was present a couple of days later when the Beatles began recording vocal overdubs onto "Lovely Rita."

My guess is that this CD, if authentic, was likely recording at John's Kenwood house. Track 18 is "Television and More Talk." I just can't imagine there being a television at Abbey Road studios. [On Sept 18, 1968, the Beatles interrupted one of their recording sessions so they could run off to Paul's house for a couple of hours and watch a television broadcast of a THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, a 1956 movie featuring a Little Richard performance-- why would they need to go to Paul's house if there was a TV in the studio to watch?].

That said, I'm curious about George Harrison's appearance on this set. Plenty of John Lennon home recordings from this period circulate. Ringo's in some of them, and I think there's one or two where Paul is present, too. But offhand, I can't remember there being any Lennon home recordings where George is present.

When it comes to the Dylan tape, who knows? Bob (or someone in his entourage) had a portable tape recorder in their possession during Bob's 1966 UK tour-- that's how we got the Glasgow hotel tape, right? Or am I off-base?

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 07:24 GMT 

David Crosby says "there's stuff listed there that for sure is not me so I suspect this is bullshit."

https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/stat ... 1847529473

FWIW, David's given interviews about jamming with John Lennon--

"Yeah, (I was close with John Lennon). I guess I can say it now - 'cause nobody can give John any shit for it - but we all ate sugar cubes one time. But the only thing I ever did that really impressed John was showing him an E-modal chord with no major or minor in it. He loved that chord, immediately glommed that chord completely. It was the only time he ever gave me a real smile, and was obviously happy with me. We were just fooling around, playing guitar."
(http://die-augenweide.de/byrds/speak/aboutbeatles.htm)

So who knows? I really hope these tapes are real, because that means somewhere, there might be more tapes of Dylan jamming with one or more Beatles in 1964-1967.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sugar cubes, sure, there's that oft told tale of the Beatles and Byrds partying and dropping LSD in Benedict Canyon. Peter Fonda was there and that's supposedly where the She Said, She Said story comes from.

One suspects that if cassette recorders were more readily available in the mid-60's, there might be more 'lost' tapes. The Beatles were supposedly among the first in Britain to own cassette machines, but that doesn't mean everyone else did, and who wants to show up at a party lugging a reel to reel around, eh ?