Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed July 18th, 2018, 20:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Catch The Wind
PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 09:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

My own 'uninformed sneers' come from a position of having purchased Donovan's first couple of albums when they came out; knowing people who remember him - and played alongside him - when he lived on the beach in St Ives; and of working alongside a sound man who toured extensively with him for several years. So not quite so 'uninformed' actually.

Read any interview with Donovan (particularly any recent one) and he is unbearably conceited about his own abilities, and his role in the counterculture. It is increasingly hard to read them, as his grasp of reality seems very slender. He really is a minor talent, but rates himself so highly I feel certain he would not consider Bob a 'better' artist at all, but his equal. Of course he, Donovan, is nothing of the sort. He's a chancer who first adopted the Huck Finn look in emulation of Dylan, then moved on to flower power. Now he styles himself as a great poet and teacher. Excuse me while I reach for the sick bag.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 13:52 GMT 

panther wrote:
...the hell is this thread?

Donovan was a major artist in the 60s, the one and only proponent of American-style "folk-rock" from Britain. His best-selling records handily outsold Dylan's in the 60s, and he was deemed good enough to hang out with people like Dylan and The Beatles. His live performances were universally acclaimed. I think he made out all right. (The fact that, after the mid-70s or something, he became a burned-out hippy nutter going on about "the 60s, man!" is neither here nor there, and has nothing to do with his musical legacy.)

And, leave it to a Brit to bring up Joan Baez in a thread that has nothing to do with her, and remain deluded that she is "a footnote in someone else's career". I feel embarrassed for your ignorance.

I think what they actually mean is that Donovan and Joan Baez are just a footnote in their own personal obsession with Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

How are either obsessed with Dylan? Because they've occasionally mentioned him in interviews.... where they were specifically asked about him?

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 16:03 GMT 

Donovan may look a little lost in DLB, but remember he was like 21years old,
Bob was close to 24 years, it´s a lot in that age.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 16:13 GMT 

And yet in DLB, donavan acted a alot more mature than our blob.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 16:18 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Donovan (born 10 May 1946) was actually only 19 in Dont Look Back. Speaking of maturity, an adult consistently referring to Bob Dylan as "our blob" sounds a bit silly.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 17:15 GMT 

:lol: I never claimed to be an adult Mr Darwin.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 17:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Donovan is playing my local town hall in January, which I was incredibly surprised about, because it's a nondescript church hall in the outer suburbs of Glasgow with a population of only a few thousand. It's not even really a music venue. I was tempted to go, but at £45 it's a bit steep.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 18:49 GMT 

Bob is a better bang for the buck

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 00:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

panther wrote:
...the hell is this thread?

Donovan was a major artist in the 60s, the one and only proponent of American-style "folk-rock" from Britain. His best-selling records handily outsold Dylan's in the 60s, and he was deemed good enough to hang out with people like Dylan and The Beatles. His live performances were universally acclaimed. I think he made out all right. (The fact that, after the mid-70s or something, he became a burned-out hippy nutter going on about "the 60s, man!" is neither here nor there, and has nothing to do with his musical legacy.)

And, leave it to a Brit to bring up Joan Baez in a thread that has nothing to do with her, and remain deluded that she is "a footnote in someone else's career". I feel embarrassed for your ignorance.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 16:41 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Bob is a better bang for the buck

Is Donovan that bad?

PostPosted: Thu December 21st, 2017, 02:34 GMT 

For being 19 and ripping of Dylan, I guess maybe I'll cut him slack. Not much.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu December 21st, 2017, 02:37 GMT 

Hrmph. Can't read that. Here's a link to the full sized article

https://imgur.com/a/EZyze

From a different article but similar:

A less well-known story from this encounter is that Donovan’s other contribution to the cosy singalong was a new song he had written as a tribute to Dylan and entitled (ahem…) ‘My Darling Tangerine Eyes’, which apparently caused consternation in the room because it used exactly the same chords and verse structure as ‘Mr Tambourine Man’. Donovan had – allegedly – assumed that ‘Mr Tambourine Man’s’ melody was a traditional tune rather than something Dylan had written and that it was therefore ‘up for grabs’. Dylan soon disabused him of the notion and ‘My Darling Tangerine Eyes’ was apparently consigned to the dustbin of history.