Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed January 17th, 2018, 11:02 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jann Wenner
PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 17:48 GMT 

Has anyone picked up the new book on Jann Wenner? Is there a new interview with Bob in there?

Post subject: Re: Jann Wenner
PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 01:08 GMT 

I have the book.

Dylan was interviewed, and I believe author Joe Hagan said via an interview that he received responses from Dylan via Dylan's people.

Here's an excerpt that recalls Rolling Stone's (Wenner's) first interview with Dylan in the late '60s, as well as a paragraph of contemporary Dylan and his not-exactly-a-recollection (pp. 133-135):

"If the Boz Scaggs album didn't convert Jann Wenner into a record producer, it did presage his next big coup. When Wenner and Scaggs originally flew to New York to cut a deal with Atlantic, they shared a room at the Drake Hotel and were awakened one morning by a knock on the door. Wenner got up from his bed, still naked, to greet a small man wearing a sheepskin coat. It was Bob Dylan.
Dylan had been MIA [missing in action] since his mysterious motorcycle crash of 1966, and the race was on to see who would get an exclusive interview with the release of Nashville Skyline, which featured a duet with Johnny Cash. Wenner had filed a request with Columbia and written to Dylan directly, heartened after he received a phone message at the front desk of a New York hotel in September of 1968 from a 'Mr. Dillon.' 'The big magazines that everybody read were Time, Newsweek, and Life magazines,' said Dylan. 'Maybe because they didn't review my records at those magazines, the Columbia people went to Rolling Stone.'
Dylan and Columbia arranged the interview, but he evidently wanted to suss Wenner out personally. Wenner would never forget Dylan's first handshake: limp and gripless, a cold fish in his hand. While they sat in the hotel room, he agreed to let Dylan approve the manuscript and edit it before publication, which would become standard operating procedure for Wenner's chosen stars. The interview took place eight months later, a Thursday afternoon in New York, 'right around the corner from the funeral home where Judy Garland was being inspected by ten thousand people,' Wenner wrote in his introduction to the interview in Rolling Stone. Dylan would only vaguely recall the interview, but he clearly remembered walking by the Garland funeral on his way to meet Wenner:
'I remember it because I had to wade through the crowd by the funeral home and I passed by Mickey Rooney up close. I always remembered seeing Mickey Rooney, but couldn't remember why or how...always thought it was something I might have dreamed. I couldn't imagine what I'd be doing there. Now I know, I was on my way to do an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.'
...'I don't remember a thing about the interview except that Wenner was likeable and I thought he was a friendly person,' Dylan said."
###

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 20:45 GMT 

Thanks for sharing!

Funny... Is that all as far as new comments?

PostPosted: Thu December 7th, 2017, 00:41 GMT 

As far as I can tell, that's it--though I haven't read the book yet. Just dipped in and out a few times. I'll report back if I run across any other contemporary Dylan quotes.