Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed April 25th, 2018, 20:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 01:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
Too bad the snare drum on Hard Rain sounds like a cardboard box.

Levon Helm liked that sound. I believe he likened it to an ax chopping on a log or something to that effect, the way he tuned / set up his snare drum. Listen the the Band's second (S/T) album and you hear it to good effect. In an arena setting it's not so effective. The same on The Last Waltz, the snare sound gets a little swamped, or the PA engineers are at loss to bring it up to proper balance, and Levon played with pretty light touch. Fan of Levon that I am, I'm not sure he was an ideal choice of drummer at all when it came to playing behind Dylan. Somethings always just a little off there.

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 02:29 GMT 

I just relistened to All Along The Watchtower from this album and all and I can saw is wow. That is one fiery performance.

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 06:11 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
slewan wrote:
If there's ever gonna be a bootleg series release focusing on the 1974 tour – it is gonna the first BS that I won't buy. Do I need to say anything more?

Yep - Im with you on that.

In reality of course, I know I will actually buy it. I just wont actually listen to it.

See, I feel like "Before the Flood" is such a sorry representation of the '74 tour that a Bootleg Series release could really shed some light on some of that tour's better offerings. A lot of the deeper cuts performed at these shows were great.

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 08:55 GMT 

An album that contains the best version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and "It's Alright Ma" can't be too bad, let alone phenomenal live versions of "LARS" and "Blowin' in the Wind."

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 12:07 GMT 

I'm not over enthusiastic about the album. I know I'll get shouted down when I say this but I really prefer Budokan to Before The Flood. It's easy to criticise what you don't understand and I think that the risks he took with some of the songs on Budokan come off pretty well. I just find it easier to listen to as a complete album.

PostPosted: Mon December 4th, 2017, 00:13 GMT 

Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
BTF is good if you like energy in music.
Rolling Thunder is good if you like nostalgia.

addendum

Rolling Thunder is good if you like Scarlet Rivera's violin playing. I love Scarlet Rivera's violin playing.

Joan Baez is alright.
Roger McGuinn is for The Byrds.

PostPosted: Mon December 4th, 2017, 00:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Bard wrote:
slewan wrote:
If there's ever gonna be a bootleg series release focusing on the 1974 tour – it is gonna the first BS that I won't buy. Do I need to say anything more?

Yep - Im with you on that.

In reality of course, I know I will actually buy it. I just wont actually listen to it.

There's a lotta truth to that, Bard.
Doing that with the past few BS boxes already.
For instance, love having all those 66 shows, but no way will I make it through 'em all in such a short time. And even if I do, what then? There's too much other stuff to muckle onto.
But nice to know it's all right there when it's time.

Definitely don't need the whole 74 tour at this point...but if it's offered...?

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 02:22 GMT 

As an album, it's something of a product of its time--a double live album, a gatefold sleeve, marketed as a souvenir of the tour. I have a hunch it was a high-end title back in the day. There are also the extended sections consisting of nothing but crowd noise. Were the crowds at these shows actually as excited by Dylan's acoustic set as they seem on the album? I have no idea, but, phony or not, I still find it exciting to hear.

Outside of the single track on the Band's "A Musical History" boxed set, the album represents pretty much the only material I've heard from the 1974 tour. I'd certainly welcome the opportunity to hear more of this material; I just don't know the extent to which Dylan and the Band tinkered with the setlist. (The only problem I had with the 1966 box was the static setlist, which really isn't anybody's fault and is something of a lame issue to complain about, but still...)

So yeah, I'd certainly like to hear more unreleased stuff from this tour--but not a massive boxed set or anything. (Unless it is part of a massive boxed set covering multiple tours over an extended period of time. A disc from 1974, a disc from Rolling Thunder, a disc from 1978, a disc from November 1981, a disc from 1986, the 1993 Supper Club shows--I'm just spitballing here, but you get the idea.)

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 02:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Was thinking today, didn’t the Grateful Dead’s ‘Wake of the Flood’
come out just prior to Bob’s ‘Before the Flood?’ Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 10:06 GMT 
Senior Moderator

^Wasn't the title Before the Flood thought to allude, at least in part, to Bob Dylan's move to Asylum and to the prospect of Columbia releasing a flood of the unreleased material from the vaults; Dylan being the first raindrop.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 18:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

I’d like to hear clearer tapes of the acoustic sets. He changed up the final line in Nobody ‘Cept You almost every time he played it. I listen to the bootlegs more than before the flood, just because I guess I don’t really dig live albums in full.

The only one I do is Nighthawks at the Diner by Tom Waits, not sure if that really counts.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 19:02 GMT 

As has been mentioned there's some great recordings out there for you to compare
what you're hearing on the official release in comparison to the released album.
I think Dylan was out to prove himself again, he'd heard other artists sneaking
up behind him in his absence and decided to reclaim his crown and perhaps recapture
the magic of the 1966 tour.
Technically, from a musicianship stand point the band were more proficient than
they were in '1966, but the chosen version of ''It's Alright Ma'' knocks my socks
off every-time i hear it.
Nightingales code put together an essential acoustic collection from the tour
which you can hear here;
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92168&hilit=1974[/url]

And if you browse the 1974 shows that can be obtained, i'd recommend
Bob Dylan 1974 Soundboard Collection which you can get here
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85018&hilit=1974+Soundboard+Collection[/url]

The latter is a 10CD collection so it's a big download but well worth it.
I'd say the Soundboard Collection & the Acoustic collections above
will paint a better picture of the 1974 tour than the official release did.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 22:34 GMT 

An exciting album in its day. I remember being disappointed that it was half The Band but the acoustic set heard from Madison Square Gardens in your living room in 1974 was enormous in those pre-bootleg times...