Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat June 23rd, 2018, 20:07 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 14:31 GMT 

Just to take a wild guess: a new original gospel album to be released on April 1st 2018. Not because of April's fools but because of Easter time.
After so many albums of standards, it would be a resurrection of some sort anyway.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 14:33 GMT 

Gospel? :? No, please. I want something like Tempest. Or like Modern Times. Or TOOM.

Or, and that seems more likely, something completely different! :D

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 14:38 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
Gospel? :? No, please. I want something like Tempest. Or like Modern Times. Or TOOM.

If Bob did what fans want, he'd still be doing the Freewheelin' set.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 15:04 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
It'll be out next year before the tour dates in Rome — from early February to late March is my best guess.

I'm convinced.

My prediction is that, if he does release a new album before the tour starts, he won't play a single song from it live until next fall.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 15:10 GMT 

movin_after_midnight wrote:
mystic garden wrote:
It'll be out next year before the tour dates in Rome — from early February to late March is my best guess.

I'm convinced.

My prediction is that, if he does release a new album before the tour starts, he won't play a single song from it live until next fall.

It‘s not a prediction, it is a truth universally acknowledged

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 15:18 GMT 

I think it's reasonably likely that a new album, of some sort, will be coming in the next couple of years but the 'evidence' presented here is pretty flimsy. That "Gone but not Forgotten" thing, for example. It's clear, if you read the whole article on that, that it was just a New Basement Tapes sort of thing where Dylan found a scrap of paper in an old sock drawer, passed it to T-Bone Burnett and sat back and waited for the royalties to roll in.
The Mavis thing doesn't doesn't seem to have come to anything either. Wasn't she also supposed to be invited on stage with him during this leg of the tour? Anyway no hint of a collaboration in today's interview with her in The Guardian.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 15:26 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:

If Bob did what fans want, he'd still be doing the Freewheelin' set.

And usually I'm so glad he never did what anyone else demanded. (Hence the "something completely different" :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 19:43 GMT 

Dan33185 wrote:
kuddukan wrote:
Setting a date for Bob’s next album is like guessing the second coming of Christ. A fool’s errand.

May 24th, 2018

No way: he's too busy writing Chronicles #2

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 20:05 GMT 

what makes me think theres something new on the horizon is that he seems to be starting to tour earlier than usual next year its normally end of april isnt it guys or has been for a while?

I dont think hed video sessions for a new album in Dublin. i dont really know what he was doing there. I messaged someone close to all the recent standard albums and they said that was all done at least for now, and they did tell me there was 30 more songs coming our way after Fallen Angels came out... which rang true as Triplicate appeared. If there isnt an album of new original songs then I believe it would be standards covering a different genre of music.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 20:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Desolation Row wrote:
...he seems to be starting to tour earlier than usual next year its normally end of april isnt it guys or has been for a while?

I think it’s usually late March early April for past several years.
Check boblinks.com to see.

We might be a couple weeks earlier than
“usual” this year. Probably not too significantly different.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 21:24 GMT 

I really hope a new original album is on the way. Maybe Bob can't write as well anymore and that's why he did the standards albums? Surely after 500+ songs the ideas don't come as quickly. I like the standards albums, but they aren't "Bob Dylan"

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 22:51 GMT 

I'd love to have an album of originals that captures the spirit of the last three albums. Tonally it really suits his voice, if you throw some Dylan lyrics into the mix we could have a really interesting album.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 23:00 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:
I'd love to have an album of originals that captures the spirit of the last three albums. Tonally it really suits his voice, if you throw some Dylan lyrics into the mix we could have a really interesting album.

I must realize it can still get worse.
Please no "American-songbook-like" originals!
The world waits for Dylan-like originals concerning lyrics and music!
(Perhaps it's only me, who waits for them, but that should be reason enough too.
The rest of the world had its pleasure with the last three albums, now it's my turn to be pleased!)

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 00:40 GMT 

March 23, 2018

Singles and promos will trickle out early next year

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 10:04 GMT 

I need to be familiar with every record onwards Time Out of Mind by next spring -I'm looking forward to that!

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 13:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

HopE wrote:
frenchdog wrote:

I must realize it can still get worse.
Please no "American-songbook-like" originals!
The world waits for Dylan-like originals concerning lyrics and music!
(Perhaps it's only me, who waits for them, but that should be reason enough too.
The rest of the world had its pleasure with the last three albums, now it's my turn to be pleased!)

Right there with ya, Hope.
American-Standard-Like originals? Yikes!
We already have Spirit & Floater draggin the boat down,
thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 04:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

How many songs were recorded/rehearsed for "Triplicate"?

There was a list, but I cannot find it.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 06:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

March 16th is my birthday. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 06:28 GMT 

From the engineer of Shadows In the Night- "we did 23 songs. Only 10 are on this first album." http://stephenkpeeples.com/news-and-rev ... i4k3UqnHD6
I think it's reasonable to assume that ten more went to Fallen Angels as Olof's website has the two albums being from the same session, the remaining three were on triplicate along with songs from the 2016 session.

Someone said that it's clear that that new song Bob wrote was clearly from an old scrape of paper but the article only mentions T-Bone Burnett's work with the New Basement Tapes and does not explicitly state whether it is an old or new song

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 15:37 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
From the engineer of Shadows In the Night- "we did 23 songs. Only 10 are on this first album." http://stephenkpeeples.com/news-and-rev ... i4k3UqnHD6
I think it's reasonable to assume that ten more went to Fallen Angels as Olof's website has the two albums being from the same session, the remaining three were on triplicate along with songs from the 2016 session.

Fallen Angels has 12 tracks. :)
Don't know about that one extra track, it might have ended up on Triplicate...

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 16:59 GMT 

Ah the eternal optimism of Expecting Rain. Never fails to give me a small chuckle. There's basically no evidence that he's recorded a batch of new material. There's really no evidence that he's even interested in writing new material. He's put out five albums of Frank Sinatra covers since Tempest.

That being said, his new album of awesome original songs will be released in early September, I believe in my heart.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Okay, so he's put everything out from the sessions he did of Frank songs.

It all depends if "Spirit On The Water" is back in the set for the Spring Tour.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 
Senior Moderator

my precious time wrote:
goodmeats wrote:

Stormy Weather was recorded during the SITN sessions.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 

my precious time wrote:

Okay so one song went to Triplicate.

PostPosted: Tue December 12th, 2017, 00:00 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
my precious time wrote:

Okay so one song went to Triplicate.

At least* 24 songs were recorded at the sessions in early 2014 that produced SITN and FA. Two of those songs were not included on those albums: Stormy Weather and Didn't He Ramble.

Since Al Schmitt said that 30 songs were recorded in early 2016 and Triplicate does indeed include 30 songs, it is possible that the version of Stormy Weather on Triplicate is a 2016 re-recording and not the SITN/FA outtake.

* Some say that the Art Of McCartney song Things We Said Today was recorded at the SITN/FA sessions as well, which would bring the number of songs recorded at those sessions up to 25.

Back to topic: There are no confirmed reports about any recording sessions for a new studio album having taken place since the Triplicate sessions. The sessions in Dublin earlier this year most likely were not for a new studio album. This does not mean that sessions have not taken place. If there is a new studio album of new originals in 2018 it will receive the full might of the Sony hype machine (just like Tempest) and will most likely be released in the fall. In that case BS 14 (1975/76) would be postponed again. I personally think we might get a 2017 live album in the spring of 2018 or a gospel album in the spring of 2018, with BS 14 staying on schedule for the fall. God willing and the creek don't rise there will be a new album of new originals in 2019. Paired with Chronicles Vol. 2. And the Sony hype machine in overdrive.