Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 19th, 2018, 06:55 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bob's Vocal Delivery
PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 17:14 GMT 

A general comment on Bob's vocal delivery: One thing I've learned from Bob's recent string of traditional cover albums is the man delivers the vocal for his songs in whatever way he pleases. I love that about him! I think that's one of the things that makes him a great singer. I don't think his voice is "shot" at all - a claim that has been made by fans and critics over and over again - I think Bob sings his songs exactly how he wants to sing them.

Your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Bob's Vocal Delivery
PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 17:50 GMT 

So he's just pretending that he can't sing anymore, just to mess with people? That's giving him the benefit of the doubt and then some. I assume he's also pretending that he never really learned to play the piano.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 18:31 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
So he's just pretending that he can't sing anymore, just to mess with people? That's giving him the benefit of the doubt and then some. I assume he's also pretending that he never really learned to play the piano.

I don't think Bob's aim is to "mess with people" - time is too precious and he respects his art form too much. I think his vocal approach is genuine. From a historical perspective, Bob, the artist, has not exactly come off as being complacent. He always seems to be moving forward, evolving, reaching for new/higher ground. One of the ways he has done that, IMO, is through his vocal delivery. Bob's voice is an instrument - he treats its role in his performances just as importantly as any of the other instruments on the stage (if not more importantly).

Bob's MusiCares speech (quoting Sam Cooke): "Voices ought not to be measured by how pretty they are. Instead they matter only if they convince you that they are telling the truth."

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 

He's got an impressive vibrato that would be hard to fake, nailed Autumn leaves so hard last Saturday at the beacon it was up on a cross.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 19:35 GMT 

i think his current delivery is great! When I first heard Shadows in the Night I was really shocked, I thought it sounded perfect (that's the best of the three, although I did like Triplicate very much). He sounded committed to the material, and I think that transitioned well into his own songs. In some ways these recent shows remind me of the '78 tour, in the way that he is doing all he can to put on a great show. No matter the sound, you could tell in '78 that he wanted people to walk away from those shows happy, and I think the same goes for now. I want to see him again, I saw him last year and it was awesome. Those standards are moving when you see them live, as I'm assuming the folk covers were in the 90s, maybe even more.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 21:43 GMT 

What I've found fascinating in the live performance setting is Bob's use of his whole bag of vocal tricks. Thanks to the efforts of indefatigable tapers, I have listened to dozens of recent concerts. I wish I could remember which performance this was, but I could swear there was one song that featured: the 80's nasal whine, the L&T-era raspy midrange, the early 2010's growl, and some disarmingly sweet vibrato. That old black magic indeed! 8)

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

There's just nothing else in the world like that voice, or voices, to be more accurate. There's just no way of explaining, to use Richard Hell's phrase, his "bewildering powers."

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 09:12 GMT 

All Bob's voices are great.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 21:39 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
All Bob's voices are great.

Some are better than others

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 18:34 GMT 

On the bus home from work this evening, I had 'Fallen Angels' on the MP3.

Listening to 'On a Little Street in Singapore', when Bob get's to the end of this line;

'My sails tonight are filled with perfume of Shalimar', he sounds really SCOUSE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 20:02 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:

Yeah, he never really learned to play the piano, the same way he never really learned to play the guitar.
Can you play the piano? Do you have the background to evaluate Bob's musicianship accurately?

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 00:44 GMT 

Take It Easy Fred wrote:
mojofilter wrote:

Yeah, he never really learned to play the piano, the same way he never really learned to play the guitar.
Can you play the piano? Do you have the background to evaluate Bob's musicianship accurately?

I'm so glad you asked! In fact, I can play the piano. And sing too. Much better than Bob--technically. A lot of people can. But I'd much rather hear Bob sing and play than those people (or me). I actually really like his piano playing. It's right at the heart of so many of his best recordings. It's exactly what those songs need. His piano playing isn't good, but it's often something better than good. (My favorite piano song: "Sign on the Window.") Bob has always had the gift of making his limitations his strength, as a singer and as a musician. But now it's the only instrument he plays, whether the song calls for it or not. And it's just kind of sad.

I like your idea that only people who can do a thing are entitled to criticize someone else doing it. If more people followed that rule, the Internet would certainly be a much quieter place.

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 13:33 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:
There's just nothing else in the world like that voice, or voices, to be more accurate. There's just no way of explaining, to use Richard Hell's phrase, his "bewildering powers."

This. Bob Dylan is to singing what Hendrix was to guitar playing. Just in another dimension.

The voice is pretty shot but it really doesn't matter. His singing is his greatest talent even though he's also a pretty good songwriter.

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 15:57 GMT 

man in the moon wrote:
rimbaud wrote:

This. Bob Dylan is to singing what Hendrix was to guitar playing. Just in another dimension.

The voice is pretty shot but it really doesn't matter. His singing is his greatest talent even though he's also a pretty good songwriter.

Bob Dylan's voice (and his use of it when singing) is the one thing that makes up the Dylan effect, it is his greatest gift to his audience. You can take away the band, you can take away Bob's guitar or piano and even his own songs – as long as he is singing a song, any song, you have the Dylan effect.

A great example is his 2013 performance of Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". Thompson wrote the song and when Thompson plays and sings it, it sounds very nice. But in a way it sounds as if he is reading the lyrics and notes off a sheet of paper, the song never really comes alive. When Dylan sang the song in 2013 he opened up a world within that song that maybe even Thompson did not know was there when he wrote the song. When Dylan sang the song it became a Dylan song through the power of his performance. He turned it into a devastating tale of undying love and life and death, right there on that stage in Michigan. He made the characters come alive and he made you feel the story, a drama of darkness and light.

And that is why a song written by Dylan is robbed of its power when it is sung by someone other than Dylan himself. It ceases to be a Dylan song. Only a handful of people have gotten it right over the years (Emmylou Harris "Every Grain Of Sand", Jimi Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower", The Band "Blind Willie McTell", Willy DeVille "Billy 1/Billy The Kid", Willie Nelson "What Was It You Wanted"). Most of the time it is like other painters painting a Picasso – it is no longer a Picasso. Even if subject matter, technique and form of presentation are the same.

The performance makes the song. That is why "Shadows In The Night", "Fallen Angels" and "Triplicate" will come to be seen as perhaps the greatest presentation of Dylan's greatest talent.

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 16:41 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:

I'm so glad you asked! In fact, I can play the piano. And sing too. Much better than Bob--technically. A lot of people can. But I'd much rather hear Bob sing and play than those people (or me). I actually really like his piano playing. It's right at the heart of so many of his best recordings. It's exactly what those songs need. His piano playing isn't good, but it's often something better than good. (My favorite piano song: "Sign on the Window.") Bob has always had the gift of making his limitations his strength, as a singer and as a musician. But now it's the only instrument he plays, whether the song calls for it or not. And it's just kind of sad.

I like your idea that only people who can do a thing are entitled to criticize someone else doing it. If more people followed that rule, the Internet would certainly be a much quieter place.

It seems we have similar appreciation of Bob's piano playing so arguing about its worth seems pointless. I can't understand why you would say he doesn't know how to play and then go on to say you really like his playing, but here we are. toodaloo.

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:13 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

A great example is his 2013 performance of Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". ...When Dylan sang the song it became a Dylan song through the power of his performance. He turned it into a devastating tale of undying love and life and death, right there on that stage in Michigan. He made the characters come alive and he made you feel the story, a drama of darkness and light.

You made me go back and give this another listen and you are right it's completely spellbinding.

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 20:09 GMT 

Here's another one:

Boom Boom Mancini, Seattle, WA, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P43R94Ka48

Warren Zevon's original is pretty good, but this is magic.

PostPosted: Mon December 4th, 2017, 20:36 GMT 

The performance makes the song. That is why "Shadows In The Night", "Fallen Angels" and "Triplicate" will come to be seen as perhaps the greatest presentation of Dylan's greatest talent.

Ok you lost me there. Greatest when he's not writing?

PostPosted: Mon December 4th, 2017, 22:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's quite a claim. I agree his vocal abilities are vastly under rated by a lot of people, and they are extraordinary, but his greatest strength? And his highest point a cover??? Me thinks not, but well said. Years ago, on some site, one of the gurus claimed Bob Dylan is the greatest alto tenor that has ever lived. Maybe. Is that the right category? Alto tenor?

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 22:25 GMT 

Bob Dylan is one of the most, if not the most, expressive singers in the history of music. I feel sad for people who are unable to recognize this.

Bob Dylan has an unparalleled musical gift in his ability to convey the emotional impact of a song.

It is also a gift to be one of the people who is able to recognize how great a singer Bob really is, and how great a singer Bob continues to be right now in 2017.

To anyone who is not able to "get" that, I sincerely feel sorry for you, for you are missing something that is really quite extraordinary.

I can't sing like Bob Dylan, and I can't play guitar like Charlie Sexton, but I sincerely can appreciate the greatness of each of these musical artists, and that is enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 15:19 GMT 

angry crow puking wrote:
To anyone who is not able to "get" that, I sincerely feel sorry for you, for you are missing something that is really quite extraordinary.

I can't sing like Bob Dylan, and I can't play guitar like Charlie Sexton, but I sincerely can appreciate the greatness of each of these musical artists, and that is enough for me.

I think the rap that bob dylan is a bad singer ma have come from critics who don't understand his abilities , because they don#t sing themselves. My mom has volunteered as choir director at the church next door and I sort of grew up with that music always there and used to watch singers getting assessed and choir practice and rehearsals etc afterschool. In terms of hidden vocal powers laymen oversee; though his singing skills are hardly appreciated, he does in reality have the hallmarks of a great versatile singer.

so just this a.m, asked my mom. about the classification of his range (tenor?) , but she runs a female choir and just kept putting him in female parts :lol: overjoid with her little mezzo bobby :lol:

Apparently, bob's got a voice that could match sarah vaughn in range and tone, but also streisand (if you really checked? crazy i know this being my mom's knowledge) , but confusion has arisen from the very fast facts I learned and forgot to ask about if a particular high note sits higher in the female range then it would in the male's, ive heard it said its different, but thats for another day kisses

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 16:36 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRYoQPUeWKY
I'm not the biggest NET fan, but if this was my introduction
to Bob Dylan, I would still become a fan.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

man in the moon wrote:
rimbaud wrote:

I could not agree more. Why I am learning to play a Dylan song, studying his vocal delivery mesmerizes me. The most notable experiences I have had with this are: 'Blind Willie McTell', 'A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall'.

As a lyricist he is a master of rhyme and meter.
As a vocalist he is a master of underlining the rhythmic structure and delivery of internal rhymes that could be passed over if not given proper care.
The delivery of his songs is truly unmatched

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 17:51 GMT 

My favorite vocals of his these days are when he twists a line. He used to do it more but now it’s just every now and then which makes it stand out more. Check out the way he delivers “Strip you of breath” in Early Roman Kings from the Buffalo show a few weeks ago:

At 59:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hn_PSW2Hr4

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 19:28 GMT 

I just wish he'd quit this 'cram the whole line into the first chord and wait for the band to catch up' business.