Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:46 GMT

All times are UTC

If you could buy only one "deluxe" edition, which one?
BS 8 Tell Tale Signs (3 CDs) 36%  36%  [ 37 ]
BS 10 Another Self Portrait (4 CDs) 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
BS 11 Basement Tapes Complete (6 CDs) 18%  18%  [ 18 ]
BS 12 Cutting Edge (6 CDs) 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
1966 Live Recordings (36 CDs) 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
BS 13 Trouble No More (9 CDs) 17%  17%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 102
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 04:37 GMT 

josemesa wrote:
I'll make a pitch for the least popular one here, Another Self Portrait. The Isle of Wight show is utterly unique and fantastic, and this is the only way to get it (legally). So if the assumption of the poll is that buying the deluxe box is the only way to get all the content, I might just choose ASP. And the remixed version of the original Self Portrait makes a great coaster!

Wow - That deluxe set has two great coasters imo.
IOW is a terrible concert. I'll give you that it's unique though ;)

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 06:28 GMT 

Basement Tapes without a doubt. The richness and diversity of the material topple everything else. Hell with just that first take of I Shall Be Released, I'll give my soul for the deluxe edition :lol:
TTS is a good contender but the 2cd edition is enough for most (also the price is still outrageous for just one bonus disc).
Cutting Edge is interesting but feels repetitive after a few listen. Same goes for Live 1966 box set (The Manchester, RAH shows, and perhaps Sydney are enough).
The 2cd edition of ASP is enough as well (Isle Of Wight is good and all but it's not as essential as the Basement Tapes, and I don't need to listen to Self Portrait again).
Trouble No More could have been considered but since it lacks several studio tracks (SOL sessions) I can't go with it as the crown jewel.
Also why on earth haven't they released the complete Toronto show with the dvd ?! That's blasphemous :evil:

However, when the Rolling Thunder Box (hopefully) gets released I'll changed my mind :D

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 19:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
If you could buy only one "deluxe" edition, which one?
BS 8 Tell Tale Signs (3 CDs)
BS 10 Another Self Portrait (4 CDs)
BS 11 Basement Tapes Complete (6 CDs)
BS 12 Cutting Edge (6 CDs)
1966 Live Recordings (36 CDs)
BS 13 Trouble No More (9 CDs)

It comes down to value.
Each of us may prioritize each value element and construct our Value equations differently.
Don't know if mine is complete, but off the top of my head:

1 Quality
2 Unheard of songs prior to box
3 Unreleased songs prior to box
4 Great songs I return to
5 Great music I return to
6 Interesting twists (bonus this, bonus that)
7 Booklets & inserts
8 Packaging

Oddly enough & unexpectedly, it comes down to Tell Tale vs. Trouble for me.

And I'd have to go with Trouble, although a very hard call.
As someone said, they are all essential.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 20:03 GMT 

Never mind 'only one deluxe BS set', if I could only have one Dylan album, full stop, it would be Basement Tapes Complete.

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 05:42 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
TTS
I bought the 2CD version when it came out in 2008. And for almost ten years now I've been thinking I should have gone for the deluxe set.

Same, I'm still wishing I had it.

Tell Tale Signs was the beginning of the end for the bootleg series being available for the "common man". The outrageous price for the extra CD (and the box, but whatever) infuriated me back then and nearly every release since for the series has had a cheap version and a hugely price one that I simply won't plump for. It's a shame.

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 09:19 GMT 

Nappy wrote:
Tell Tale Signs was the beginning of the end for the bootleg series being available for the "common man". The outrageous price for the extra CD (and the box, but whatever) infuriated me back then and nearly every release since for the series has had a cheap version and a hugely price one that I simply won't plump for. It's a shame.

Agree totally, I still say if they could retail the 36CD Live 1966 set for the price it was then it is pretty shameful what they charge for the de-luxe sets in the Bootleg Series. I can do without the glossy books and packaging so a basic package at a fair price would what I'd like to see. It's all 'old' music at the end of the day!

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 13:45 GMT 

For me it will be Cuttin edge, unbeatable, invincible.

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

I started this poll because I have only one deluxe BS edition -- the 3-CD Tell Tale Signs -- and I was hoping that a poll might suggest the second addition to my collection. I am surprised that TTS is coming out on top. I thought it might be a race between Cutting Edge and Basement Tapes. And I am no closer to figuring out what is next for me!

PostPosted: Sun November 26th, 2017, 09:31 GMT 

I spent a while this morning watching YouTube vids of people unboxing vinyl box sets of these sets: cutting edge, basement tapes, another self portrait... Drooling over each one. I must get me those babies, one after another