Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 12:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 11:35 GMT 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... bourne-bar

Noticed in this article about one of our politicians down yonder who was racially abused at a bar recently that the bartender who witnessed the incident had rephrased the Bob Dylan lyric from Sweetheart Like You, "They say that patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings."

Quote:
The barman observed during the exchange that: “Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel”.

Thought it was worth sharing as I doubt most readers would have picked up on it besides us hERe. Always a nice surprise to come across a random Dylan reference unnoticed by the journalist and readers... reminds me of the time I was watching The Ashes and someone in the crowd was holding a sign that read: "YEA! HEAVY AND A BOTTLE OF BREAD"... the commentators were extremely bewildered.

Feel free to share similar incidents you've come across a Dylan reference go unnoticed.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:09 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/09/you-terrorist-sam-dastyari-abused-by-right-wing-group-in-melbourne-bar

Noticed in this article about one of our politicians down yonder who was racially abused at a bar recently that the bartender who witnessed the incident had rephrased the Bob Dylan lyric from Sweetheart Like You, "They say that patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings."

Quote:
The barman observed during the exchange that: “Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel”.

Thought it was worth sharing as I doubt most readers would have picked up on it besides us hERe. Always a nice surprise to come across a random Dylan reference unnoticed by the journalist and readers... reminds me of the time I was watching The Ashes and someone in the crowd was holding a sign that read: "YEA! HEAVY AND A BOTTLE OF BREAD"... the commentators were extremely bewildered.

Feel free to share similar incidents you've come across a Dylan reference go unnoticed.

It's from one Samuel Johnson actually. He lived 1709 - 1784

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:11 GMT 

That's an old quote, I won't claim to know it off the top of my head but Google says it can be attributed to one Samuel Johnson in 1775. Per Wikipedia (never wrong):

The Patriot
In 1774, he printed The Patriot, a critique of what he viewed as false patriotism. On the evening of 7 April 1775, he made the famous statement, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." This line was not, as widely believed, about patriotism in general, but the false use of the term "patriotism" by William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham (the patriot-minister) and his supporters. Johnson opposed "self-professed patriots" in general, but valued what he considered "true" self-professed patriotism.

Edit: woops, repeating what h.egbert said.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:14 GMT 

Well, I didn't know that...

Typical Bob, eh?

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:50 GMT 

The Johnson quote also gets a timely airing in Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory, for those interested in Dylan's pilfering of lines from film dialogue (at 11 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVnwxf5nwa8

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 14:01 GMT 

Johnson being a prolific author of epithets and quotable quotes, a sample of which can be found on the website Dr Johnson's House. Some are distinctly non PC these days--- Johnson on America, Johnson on women making speeches. Have a look. He's said to be the second most quoted English author after Shakespeare-- how anyone would measure that I have no idea.

For those of you who might do a little tourism in the UK given the parlous state of the pound, I can strongly recommend Lichfield as a hidden gem to visit, and Dr Johnson's house in particular.

In a way that line in Sweetheart Like You is channelling thoughts Dylan expressed twenty years earlier in With God on Our Side. I wonder if the Patriot Game popped into his head.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:30 GMT 

Whereas some of Johnson's quotes - eg "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life" - are simply bollocks.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:33 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
Whereas some of Johnson's quotes - eg "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life" - are simply bollocks.

haha, what a pearl. How can one possibly not get tired of London?

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

[quote="mystic garden"]...the Bob Dylan lyric from Sweetheart Like You, "They say that patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings."[quote]An interesting usage by Dylan on the album Infidels... aptly noting the evangelical support of the ever popular Ronald Reagan who rallied patriotism while committing acts of moral terrorism at home and abroad.

The saying has always been true, I'm sure but the examples we have seen in the U.S. in the last 40 years are astounding and mind boggling. And Dylan's pressing question continues to echo: "What's a sweetheart like you doing in a dump like this?" But we created the dump...

by voting the scoundrels into office.

I love the song, cliches and all...

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Interesting how back then he felt obliged to mention that "they say" patriotism is the last refuge...

It's hard to imagine Modern Times with "they say" in front of every other line!

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 21:02 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Bob had already incorporated a line from another C18th English literary giant in the previous song on the album, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" is from Alexander Pope's Essay on Criticism.

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 00:17 GMT 

he’s very well read,
it’s well known