Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 03:40 GMT

All times are UTC

What do the Gospel era haters think of BS13?
It sucks. As I knew it would 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Meh, tsOK, I guess 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Better than expected, not great 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
This stuff rocks. Consider me converted. I repent! 45%  45%  [ 19 ]
Get this, wormster: I will never, ever, EVER, buy this. You can print that if you want. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 13:47 GMT 

Haters is too much of a strong word, but with my poor english I cannot find the right expression that will fit in one line. Anyway, those of you who don´t like/don´t care for/or yes, directly hate the gospel era and were not at all excited about the release, how do you like after giving it a spin or two? I´ve read already of a couple of "converts", but some of you are awfully quiet. Speak up!

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 14:03 GMT 

Although I bought the discs when first released, they were hardly ever played.
But on listening to the live tracks on TNM it just brings out that the songs were meant to be heard 'live', not from a recording studio.
Consider me converted.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 14:24 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I don't hate the Gospel era.
His voice was great, the band was good,
he made some great songs and performances during this time.

However, as an atheist I struggle with the lyrical contents.
The way I try to enjoy this period of Dylan's career,
are the same way I enjoy, i.e Christmas songs.
It's all imaginative to me and God/Jesus is just as true as Santa Claus.

So the lyrics don't speak to me as much as his other songs does.
And that's why I struggle to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 14:35 GMT 

There were only three albums that were released in the Gospel Era as far as I'm concerned. I had no probs with Slow Train Coming, was luke warm towards Saved and never really liked Shot Of Love. (I have all three and still can't play Shot Of Love all the way through.

Anyway, I have always bought the basic 2CD set for all the Bootleg Series and thought I'd do the same for this release. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the live stuff from Slow Train and quite a few of the other tracks as well. I wouldn't want too much more but wouldn't mind a copy of one of the live shows! Agreeably surprised sums up my thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 15:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

I listened to the sampler on Spotify. Meh. Didn't do much for me and I'm no longer on the fence about buying it.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 16:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

SirDogg wrote:

It'd be the same thing for me I'm sure. I haven't bought BS13 yet, and I'm in no hurry because the albums and material from this era doesn't speak to me like his other stuff, and I already know it doesn't because I've already heard a great deal of it.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 16:59 GMT 

I never hated this period, but I think the studio albums were lacking.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 17:12 GMT 

This is the first time I've ever settled for something other than the super-duper-deluxe-expanded-collector's edition of a Dylan release. I bought the 2-CD version. A lot of the songs are terrible, but I knew that going in. Been listening as background noise around the house the last couple of days. It's okay. Nice historical document. But within a day or two, it'll be put away probably never to played again, just like the the gospel albums themselves.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this--I don't pore over every ER post like I did at one time--but I'm not terribly impressed with the packaging of the 2-CD set. Good grief, could the jewel case and booklet be any tighter within the outer box? You need the jaws of life to extricate them. Getting the discs out of the jewel case without a crowbar is a bit of a challenge also. And the front cover photo looks awful bootleg-ish to me. Looks like it was printed on a three-color inkjet. Maybe that was the point, seeing how it's the Bootleg Series and all, but other installments don't look this crummy. And who okayed the color scheme of the tracklist text on both the back of the box and (especially) the back of the jewel case? The dates are printed in--what? Dark gold on dark brown?

Looking forward to BS14, which is sure to be more interesting to me.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 17:48 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:

I have similar thoughts. I listened to some samples of the BS13 and actually think his performance is solid.
But the lyrics get in the way. The problem is not that they are religious, but that they are closed-mindedly religious and also mediocre in terms of literature. Most of them, anyway, I haven't checked out all of the gospel songs.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 07:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

rolling_thunder wrote:
It'd be the same thing for me I'm sure. I haven't bought BS13 yet, and I'm in no hurry because the albums and material from this era doesn't speak to me like his other stuff, and I already know it doesn't because I've already heard a great deal of it.

Yes! It's like, I don't need to hear 6-7 different versions of Slow Train when I know the song don't do anything for me.
The stuff I'm looking forward to hearing are a few of the outtakes and rehearsals,
and the live version of great songs like, i.e. Maggie's Farm, Girl From The North Country, Mr. Tambourine Man and Just Like A Woman

a.complete.unknown wrote:
I have similar thoughts. I listened to some samples of the BS13 and actually think his performance is solid.
But the lyrics get in the way. The problem is not that they are religious, but that they are closed-mindedly religious and also mediocre in terms of literature. Most of them, anyway, I haven't checked out all of the gospel songs.

I agree. But then again isn't all of religion closed-mindedly.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 07:47 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:

I understand Sir Dog. The way I see it is I understand the positive meaning behind the words and it helps me appreciate the jesus stuff more

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 13:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wasn't impressed with the sampler, but the set itself is terrific. A real treat. So many incredible songs, like Caribbean Wind and Groom's Still Waiting. And one of the great American bands of all time - the Muscle Shoals house band.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

I don't think I'll ever be enthusiastic about that period, so I won't be buying BS13. But I do find any unheard Dylan from the 80's and earlier potentially interesting. If NPR streams it I will listen.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 14:55 GMT 

The songs from "Shot of Love" and the first few on "Slow Train Coming".. apart from those I find the majority of the songs really poor, especially in the lyric department. .The band are certainly great players but it's all too precise for me, there is no edge (a bit like todays shows IMO)
This was the recollection I had of seeing him at Earls Court in '81... the new "religous" material really didn't stand up. Great to hear that show again but my memory was correct. Glad it has been released though, means we can look forward to something decent next :O
They should have called it "The Emperor's New Clothes"

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 15:34 GMT 

Does anybody else suspect the results of this poll may have been skewed by people who were already Gospel fans pretending to be newly converted?

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 16:07 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
Does anybody else suspect the results of this poll may have been skewed by people who were already Gospel fans pretending to be newly converted?

Yeah, it's pretty obvious if you read the posts and then look at the poll.
Although the premise is faulty. Technically the gospel period haters should not have an opinion because they aren't buying it and haven't heard the whole thing.
A more accurate question would be whether or not the free tracks that have been posted are enough to convert a gospel period hater into a BS13 buyer.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 16:53 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
20yearsofschooling wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious if you read the posts and then look at the poll.
Although the premise is faulty. Technically the gospel period haters should not have an opinion because they aren't buying it and haven't heard the whole thing.
A more accurate question would be whether or not the free tracks that have been posted are enough to convert a gospel period hater into a BS13 buyer.

So you think you can poll better than me do you, Winter Lude? :P

As I said above, this is not just for people who HATE the period, but people who are unimpressed/indifferent towards it. I have sometimes bought stuff of periods of artists that I don´t particularly like, for completism sake. And same has happened here, since some people that hardly are interested in this release have confessed to having bought it, in some cases the Deluxe version.

Glad that so far the "converts" option is winning. Makes me even more excited to hear it!

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 18:08 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:

THIS

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

I listened to the Spotify sampler and found most of it unbearable.

This was disappointing for me, as I do like most of Shot of Love and I do like the odd song on the other two albums. The sampler didn't change my mind about any of the songs I already knew and didn't introduce me to any new songs I really liked. "Caribbean Wind" was the sole highlight (I only knew the song in poor quality bootleg form before). "City of Gold" was OK too.

The reason I so rarely post on here is I generally dislike Bob's blues songs, not being a fan of the genre in general. Whereas to most of you here (particularly the ModBob fans) he is primarily a blues artist and I am missing the entire point of Bob Dylan (never mind that he is one of my favourite artists for his folk, rock and pop material). And gospel is next door to blues in the musical periodic table, so naturally I don't like his gospel songs that actually sound like gospel songs.

And when I hear him singing "when you gonna wake up?" at me, I want to say right back to him, "when are you gonna wake up?"

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 11:38 GMT 

You're not really a Dylan fan if you don't love the Gospel era :wink:

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 13:08 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:
You're not really a Dylan fan if you don't love the Gospel era :wink:

hahahhaha, yip... I better hand my badge back then

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 

I guess I don't qualify for voting, I like the gospel area very much, musically and live especially.
The 79 sermons were sometimes funny at least.
And I don't feel I must agree with the contents or personal circumstances of everything I like.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 14:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

vagabone wrote:

And when I hear him singing "when you gonna wake up?" at me, I want to say right back to him, "when are you gonna wake up?"

I’m too lazy to look up the exact quote, but Dylan somewhere has said that in all of his songs he realized one day that “you” meant “himself”. That he was addressing himself in each of these songs. The gospel period is much more palatable thinking of the songs this way. However, I’ve always looked at Slow Train Coming as Dylan’s take on the spirit of the Old Testament (all those prophets saying repent) and Saved as his take on the spirit of the New Testament. And at least find it interesting in that sense. For myself, I have never been a fan of the 3 gospel studio albums—but the live stuff from this period captures a revival tent atmosphere that I find interesting and exciting. So I love this release for that reason.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 17:09 GMT 

I think the videos are the most compelling part. I've never gotten much from listening to the albums from that time, but watching these high quality videos is a whole different thing. My mind is filled with the Hard Rain specials and R&C clips. Then it jumps to video of him looking awkward, removed and disheveled on stage in the mid 80's (just my impression). I haven't seen much '78 footage, no pro shots that I can recall. In the few Gospel era videos I've seen in the last weeks, he's on fire like I haven't seen before. He was so on his game with both his stage presence and musical competence.

I think if haters stop hating, it won't be from hearing 10 different versions of the same list of songs - it will from seeing new, high quality performance video from that time and matching it up in their minds. Now they like it.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 23:54 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
I’m too lazy to look up the exact quote, but Dylan somewhere has said that in all of his songs he realized one day that “you” meant “himself”. That he was addressing himself in each of these songs. The gospel period is much more palatable thinking of the songs this way.

I've not seen that quote, but I think it's fairly obvious he was primarily addressing himself in these songs. Even trying to convince himself, in the ones that are seemingly most full of certainty.