Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat May 26th, 2018, 00:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:16 GMT 

Ive never seen Bob look so agitated than he did at the Roundhouse. Second song in and he is dropping his hands off the keyboards and giving the guitarists the Glare. This went on right through the show, stepping aside from the keyboards or resting one hand on the keyboard and putting the other on his hip.
Whats going on here??? This happened during Sheffield and now we are getting it again. But this was a drag.
The Roundhouse promised so much, but failed to deliver. :? :(

Last edited by zagonga on Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:19 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

zagonga wrote:

See, thats where you're wrong........ the fans built it up into the show of the century. It never promised anything

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Soooo.... no surprise second encore of "Sympathy for the Devil" with Mick & Keith and Peter Green on guitar?

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:20 GMT 

Bob Zimmerman wrote:
zagonga wrote:

See, thats where you're wrong........ the fans built it up into the show of the century. It never promised anything

Maybe so...but why are we getting these onstage antics all the way through the show????

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:24 GMT 

what?

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:37 GMT 

Has anyone else been to the Roundhouse-show? Did he really act irritated? Dylan usually lean over the keyboard every now and then and he seems to be giving the band some directions during his performances. He did that in Stockholm this year but he was in a great mood nonetheless :D

It would be cool to get another "Lincoln 2006" where he got irritated at the guitarist and said "stop that" twice which ended up on the bootleg. Think that one ended with the guitarist walking off stage. Someone else probably knows for sure.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

zagonga wrote:
Ive never seen Bob look so agitated than he did at the Roundhouse. Second song in and he is dropping his hands off the keyboards and giving the guitarists the Glare. This went on right through the show.

Stop lying. Bob was never glaring at the band at all. Didn't you not see Bob & Donnie laughing and Bob & Tony were laughing some times as well. Tony & George were laughing the most. Stu smiled to other members sometimes but Denny didn't smile at all. Lol. That's the way Denny rolls, baby! :D

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:42 GMT 

It was as plain as day...then finally he walked over to Garnier before the last 5 or 6 songs and then it cooled. He also made a joke regarding Kimball with reference to him "Going to Rehab, but he said no no no" some reference link to Amy Winehouse. and then walked specifically over to him before the line-up to pat him on the shoulder. It was a strange vibe.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:44 GMT 

Josepi wrote:
zagonga wrote:
Ive never seen Bob look so agitated than he did at the Roundhouse. Second song in and he is dropping his hands off the keyboards and giving the guitarists the Glare. This went on right through the show.

Stop lying. Bob was never glaring at the band at all. Didn't you not see Bob & Donnie laughing and Bob & Tony were laughing some times as well. Tony & George were laughing the most. Stu smiled to other members sometimes but Denny didn't smile at all. Lol. That's the way Denny rolls, baby! :D

I agree their was some laughter but also a lot of the other too!!!

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:44 GMT 

Well, he definitely was irritated during I Don't Believe You. Mid-way through, he stopped playing and left the keyboard altogether. He walked towards the drum set, and scratched his head, gazing sternly and coldly at the Denny/Stu/Tony section for a verse or two. Afterwards he returned to the keyboard, finished the song and went over to talk to the three for about half a minute whilst the lights were out.

Don't quite understand what went on there; he was back to his smiley self during Po' Boy.

Edit: Upon further reflection, it might be simply due to the fact that, originally, another song was supposed to be played in that slot and someone perhaps made a mistake or two.

Last edited by Cipher_Pipe on Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:46 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 16:45 GMT 

zagonga wrote:
It was as plain as day...then finally he walked over to Garnier before the last 5 or 6 songs and then it cooled. He also made a joke regarding Kimball with reference to him "Going to Rehab, but he said no no no" some reference link to Amy Winehouse. and then walked specifically over to him before the line-up to pat him on the shoulder. It was a strange vibe.

Dylan told a joke like that?? I have to download this concert...

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 17:36 GMT 

I was closer than usual and at times I wondered if he was just really intense in his directing of the others or annoyed, still not sure. He does a lot of pointing though, sometimes at someone sometimes just seemingly to the music. He did go FAST to Tony after 'I Don't Believe You' train wreck. I wonder if it sounds as haphazard on the recording, will have to check.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 17:48 GMT 

I suppose they were laughing at the audience - "look at all those idiots came for a special show - and we are just giving them greatest hits, a lot of regular performed songs and one of the most boring setlists of the whole tour"

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 18:05 GMT 

HGLovecraft II wrote:
It would be cool to get another "Lincoln 2006" where he got irritated at the guitarist and said "stop that" twice which ended up on the bootleg. Think that one ended with the guitarist walking off stage. Someone else probably knows for sure.

I was there. Third row at the Lincoln show. It happened just as you say. Stu left in the middle of Spirit On The Water and was absent for All Along The Watchtower. He returned for the encore.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 18:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

slewan wrote:
I suppose they were laughing at the audience - "look at all those idiots came for a special show - and we are just giving them greatest hits, a lot of regular performed songs and one of the most boring setlists of the whole tour"
Bob would never do that. His fans mean everything to him and it really hurts that you would talk bad about him. :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 18:16 GMT 

I was on the rail right in front of Bob, and he seemed to be in a foul mood during some songs, visibly irritated for sure. It started during Tryin' To Get To Heaven. Bob was directing the guitarists (mainly Stu I think), gesturing rhythmically with his hand in motion that suggested he wanted them to emphasise certain aspects of the beat. Whatever he wanted them to be doing, they obviously weren't doing it because he was looking at them disappointedly and shaking his head. At one stage (I forget which song) he stopped playing organ and stood to the right of the keyboard with one hand on his hip, almost as if he was waiting for them to hurry up and get the instrumental break over with.

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, despite what the Bob Dates setlist and some reviews say, was not played centre stage with harp. He went to go centre stage when they started it, but changed his mind and got back behind the organ. He was smiling during this song, and gave a strong performance of it, although I'm a Tweedles fan so I'm probably in the minority when I say that. I suppose there were many in attendance who were thoroughly pissed off with it.

On Sugar Baby and High Water Bob and the band were ok, but the foul mood returned on I Don't Believe You, which was definitely the weakest song in the set. During one of the instrumental breaks Bob used the harmonica as a way of shutting up the guitarists, interrupting them with a quick stab that simply could not be thought of as a solo. The lyrics felt rushed in their delivery, and Bob seemed to be really going through the motions with it. After one of the last instrumental breaks his delivery improved as he seemed to shake off whatever was pissing him off.

Po' Boy was nice, Highway 61 had everyone going nuts as usual, and Dylan's mood seemed to improve. Ain't Talkin' was one of the highlights of the set, nice delivery from Bob bathed in the eerie orange glow of the side lights that they tend to use for the 'darker' songs these days (such as Hollis Brown at the O2 and Love Sick at Sheffield)

Summer Days was enjoyable (there I said it!) and Bob was having great time, finishing the song with a manic cackle on the last line. Rolling Stone was good too, Bob seems to be performing it better than usual on the shows I've seen this tour.

After a setlist with no rarities, the encore of Watchtower, Spirit and Blowin' came as no surprise. Bob's Winehouse gag was priceless, perhaps this was some sort of dig at Stu? When they were all lined up on stage at the end, Bob went over to Stu and gave him a pat on the shoulder and said something to him. It was unclear what, but it could have been anything from "Don't sweat it, we'll work it out" to "You play like that again and you're out of a job"

It was a strange atmosphere, we saw Bob pissed off and we saw him having a great time, grinning and laughing. I think whatever problems he thought were present tonight will probably be ironed out by Cardiff, although I will not be surprised if Stu Kimball is nowhere to be seen for the U.S. shows this summer.

All in all the Roundhouse was not the best show, but I think that is more down to the hype this gig had in the media and among the fan community. If he'd played this set at an arena nobody would be saying much, but because it was the Roundhouse people were expecting more. I went in there unsure, but in the back of my mind I was half-expecting just what we got - an average setlist with a few nice moments. Dylan must have known that an audience full of mostly hardcore fans would be expecting a rarities-fest and new album tracks, and, as is the norm for him, he went against the grain.

Somebody told me after the gig that Gotta Serve Somebody and One More Cup Of Coffee were originally on the setlist but were dropped at the last minute. I think Edinburgh might get them both instead. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 18:23 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:
Somebody told me after the gig that Gotta Serve Somebody and One More Cup Of Coffee were originally on the setlist but were dropped at the last minute.

AAHHHHH, you didn't have to tell me that man. :(

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 18:36 GMT 

Haha, that's what I said to the guy who told me! He said that apparently even the sound guy was disappointed at the decision. I think the inclusion of those two songs would definitely have swayed people's general opinion of the show, and it would probably even be branded as "legendary" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 19:05 GMT 

arabia wrote:
midnightcowboy wrote:
Somebody told me after the gig that Gotta Serve Somebody and One More Cup Of Coffee were originally on the setlist but were dropped at the last minute.

AAHHHHH, you didn't have to tell me that man. :(

Hehe, exactly the reason why I omitted this fact from my original review of the gig... 8)

Though, unlike midnightcowboy, I doubt this would have changed the show or the public's perception of it. One More Cup of Coffee is a nice one but a rarity? No. Same category as Ain't Talkin'. Gotta Serve Somebody in the encore? Again, it would be pleasant but it wouldn't surprise anyone too much.

There was a third song replaced as well, alas, I didn't understand very well what it was. It wasn't a gem by any means though.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 19:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Right, Josepi and I must have been right by you midnightcowboy. Personally I thought he was in an excellent mood. He seemed really animated the whole time, looking around, at the crowd, smiling. It was great. He was doing lots of hand actions and stuff, and did speak to the band quite a bit, but I never got the impression he was that irritated. He really seemed cool. He turned his back to the audience during "Don't Think Twice" with his hand on his hip, right after I screamed out, which was quite funny, though surely just a coincidence. It's the happiest I've ever seen him, a total joy to watch them all.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 19:50 GMT 

LaRue wrote:
Right, Josepi and I must have been right by you midnightcowboy. Personally I thought he was in an excellent mood. He seemed really animated the whole time, looking around, at the crowd, smiling. It was great. He was doing lots of hand actions and stuff, and did speak to the band quite a bit, but I never got the impression he was that irritated. He really seemed cool. He turned his back to the audience during "Don't Think Twice" with his hand on his hip, right after I screamed out, which was quite funny, though surely just a coincidence. It's the happiest I've ever seen him, a total joy to watch them all.

Sounds like the mood he was in in Stockholm. I guess his hand-movements could be interpreted as irritated by some but I really don't think that's the case. All I know is that he seemed very happy in Stockholm and he did the same things you're describing here (except for the rehab-joke of course. Haha it would be funny if he did that every show. Stu: "Damn it Bob it's not funny anymore!")

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 20:45 GMT 

zagonga wrote:

Thats x Genius.No,No,No! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 20:52 GMT 

I get a feeling all those little moves are part of Bob's stage act. Maybe he cares more about his audience than most people think? He just shows it in an awkward way I think.

He was also standing with his hand on his hip durin Tough Mama (the 2nd one) in Amsterdam, before it turned into an disaster. But I don't suspect any correlation.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 21:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

No. I think in a general sense he really doesn't give a damn. He's going to do what he wants to do. For those who want to follow, that's fine. He doesn't lose any sleep over those who don't want to follow.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2009, 21:06 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
No. I think in a general sense he really doesn't give a damn. He's going to do what he wants to do. For those who want to follow, that's fine. He doesn't lose any sleep over those who don't want to follow.

Amen