Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:36 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 18:02 GMT 

Has Dylan rewritten and rearranged any other song more than he has Tangled Up in Blue? Hearing the new arrangement this weekend made me think about how many different arrangements and lyrics this song has had. I can't imagine any other song comes close.

Here are the different versions I can think of off the top of my head that are significantly different lyrically or musically from each other:

The released Blood On the Tracks version
New York sessions outtake
Rolling Thunder acoustic version
Rolling Thunder II electric version
1978 "grand ballad" arrangement
1984 Real Live version
Early 90s to mid 2000s arrangement (definitely variations in tempos and feel but pretty much the same structure)
2008 arrangement
Several arrangements in 2009 (including the very interesting Rothbury performance)
2010-2017 arrangement with many lyrical changes
Current 2017 fall tour arrangement

I'm sure there's probably some I missed. But I think it's incredible how often and drastically this song has been changed, particularly since it's one of his better known songs. What is it about this particular song that makes Bob want to change it so often?

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 18:57 GMT 

Jordan wrote:
I'm sure there's probably some I missed. But I think it's incredible how often and drastically this song has been changed, particularly since it's one of his better known songs. What is it about this particular song that makes Bob want to change it so often?

That is a good question. The messing with arrangements isn't that unusual. Just about any song that's been in his repertoire for a while has gotten that sort of treatment. As far as lyrics, there are a few other songs that's have gone through some drastic revisions--and interestingly, they're often Blood on the Tracks songs. "Idiot Wind," "If You See Her, Say Hello," "Simple Twist of Fate" (in 1984 it was practically a different song). My guess is that certain songs bother him in some way; they still mean something to him, but what they mean changes over time, and he's still trying to figure out what he wants to say. In the case of "Tangled Up in Blue," the episodic structure makes rewriting easy, in a way; as long as it begins early in the morning and ends with him going back again, it can go practically anywhere along the way--LA, Delacroix, Santa Fe, New Orleans, Amarillo, Juarez, Tallahassee, or old Cheyenne.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 21:43 GMT 

There also was a pretty good electric version in 1988. And I remember the 1992 and 1995 ones being distinctly different from other arrangements I've heard. And last but not least, I have a fall 2003 recording of TUIB on my Walkman which also sounds a lot different because Bob plays the keys. Plonk plonk.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 04:30 GMT 

I haven't really listened closely to the 'new' version of tangled that he's been doing this current tour (will see it a week from tomorrow, assuming he's still playing it!) ... but from the little clip i heard its different yet to another unique version i did get to see- the first night of the June-July tour, at the capitol theater in port chester (june 13th i think? opening night summer 2017 ) where 'tangled' was a very strange and unique arrangement- didn't totally work, but i like that he was still tinkering with it, experimenting, etc. I don't think he kept doing that version when he returned to it a few days later.. (didn't see any more from that tour but heard some stuff)

and yeah, that 1978 version is amazing- and needs to be released in soundboard quality!!!

(Plus love that live '88 jones beach version too, rockin' and a whole different thing- but '78 is the great unreleased gem,,,)

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 10:14 GMT 

The weirdest version I've ever heard is this one from Rothbury in 2009 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcR5iUyVmiQ

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
The weirdest version I've ever heard is this one from Rothbury in 2009 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcR5iUyVmiQ

right, it somehow escaped from my attention (or my memory). I guess he never tried to treat the song that way. Beside that Tangled was a rare song in 2009! (The next time after Rothbury Tangled was performed in Linz in 2010 – a fairly conventional performance)

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 13:14 GMT 

Jordan wrote:
Here are the different versions I can think of off the top of my head that are significantly different lyrically or musically from each other:
[...]
1978 "grand ballad" arrangement

You could make the argument that there are two 1978 versions:
the one with the traditional lyrics (spring/summer 1978) and
the "biblical" one (fall 1978).

Although they are musically identical, they differ significantly in their meaning, imo.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 13:58 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Only two of the 16 gazzillion versions appeal to me:
1. Real Live '84
2. Official BOTT

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 13:59 GMT 

I really like these two versions:

Jones Beach 1988: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQdDPFyI07U

Japan 1994: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4u_Z5KqMs

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 14:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Here's compilation of various different versions I made a while back - http://www.mediafire.com/file/463ntv818 ... f+View.rar

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 05:23 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

Weird?
Or just flat out terrible?

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 08:41 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
Weird?

I think its pretty cool, and its pretty funny that it starts sounding more like the traditional Tangled after Bob starts standing centre stage instead of dictating proceedings on the Organ.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:17 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
I really like these two versions:

Jones Beach 1988: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQdDPFyI07U

Japan 1994: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4u_Z5KqMs

Oh wow I hadn't heard these before! These are great!

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:55 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

Weird?

flat out terrible.
to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

If memory serves it started a little "off" but quickly gained footing and momentum, turning into a pretty fair version. By the standards of the time, of course, his voice being bit raspy back then compared to now.

I'm enjoying the new version, not sure if it's been rendered definitively just yet, but he is sure finding lots to do with his new canvas.

Took some friends to see him in 1998, several painted a vivid picture of a song that went "mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble, tangled up in blue (audience cheer)" :lol:

Almost any of the arrangements can soar when inspiration strikes. I remember seeing a pretty lousy version in 2006 where he just sang high one line, down the next, fairly rigidly through the whole song (at least that's my memory of it) and a day or two later in Madison WI he starts with a similar approach and shoots straight to the moon with it! It's been over 10 years since I first heard that recording and I still listen to that version from time to time.