Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 08:01 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 19:21 GMT 

caribbean wind. wow

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 19:22 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:
McG wrote:
I just listened to this. Man it's craptacular. Can't believe people are actively looking forward to this. Had to wash my ears out with some Hard Rain.

Every. Single. Thread. We get it, you don't like Bob's gospel albums and you have a far more refined taste than anyone who enjoys it. Now pipedown or make a new point.

agreed. i don't come to this forum to hear cherry picking snobs complain about everything the dylan camp releases. people need to seriously get over themselves. maybe if they knew anything about how records are made/how unnerving performing at that level can be.. maybe they'd see. it's unreal the authority people give themselves to criticize things they know nothing about.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 19:52 GMT 

I've given the Caribbean Wind a few more listenings because of all the attention it seems to be getting here. It's got a nice sound but it's rather lifeless and repetitive.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 20:01 GMT 

This is unbelievable stuff.. Caribbean wind and Covenant woman are worth the price of the Deluxe box set alone...

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 20:12 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Wow - you gotta check out Covenant woman take 3. He's doing an improv melody in the lower key. It's so Dylan... holy crap. So much better than the released version. This take should have been the keeper.

It's a much better vocal. More thoughtful.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 21:03 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
frenchdog wrote:
Think we might have the definitive Caribbean Wind at long last. Lovely
Ohhhh c'mon- too slow, the drama is lost, and he's obviously just rewritten the lyric again leading to much hesitancy in the vocal (fair enough, it's a rehearsal)...trippy to be hearing it tho, don't think this was rumored to exist?

Agreed. It's nice to see yet a radically different arrangement - it's amazing how he will completely tear down one arrangement and rebuild it from scratch, over and over again - but this is still pretty weak. That's three studio outtakes, and none of them "got" it, so much that it's even easier see the frustration others have recounted with the recording of that song.

The sole live version may not be perfect, but it's still far and away the best one and the only performance where I can see how this song is a towering masterpiece, one that never got the recording it deserved.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 22:45 GMT 

Lovely to hear some of these songs without awful production and with clearer vocals. Covenant Womam was already a song I loved but the version here is better. Caribbean Wind is finally more or less done justice to, clearly a song Dylan struggled to get across. This version arguably should have been a template for something even better, but it's great to have it. Solid Rock isn't the mess that it is on Saved and is far more enjoyable. Precious Angel is really tenderly sung.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 23:47 GMT 

Not sure I agree we have a "definitive" Carribean Wind here, but it's certainly a gamechanger. My view of that song is that all the different versions together are like pieces of a puzzle to some theoretical great recording that might have been. This version has some really interesting shades to help complete the picture. I love it.

The Slow Train live in London sounds fantastic - I'll be dancing around the room to this for months.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 23:52 GMT 

Wow! So much amazing stuff here I can't believe it. That Caribbean Wind might just become my favorite version. Was anyone else really surprised by Dead Man, Dead Man? I thought it sounded awesome!

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 00:36 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
The new version of Caribbean is good, but nowhere near the circulating demo version, which might be the greatest thing Bob ever did.

(Hides from Bennboy...)

Agree. Had this been the only circulating version I don't think it would have had that "unreleased gem" vibe the song always carries. As it stands for me, the lyrics are nice, but the performance is no where near as good as the Biograph or stop/start post chorus rehearsal version.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 00:44 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
The new version of Caribbean is good, but nowhere near the circulating demo version, which might be the greatest thing Bob ever did.

(Hides from Bennboy...)

sorry-- which version exactly? the fair brown and blonde friend in the pentagon outtake? If that one, I think the biograph version beats that one, but the "new" version beats them both

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 00:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dead Man! Whoa.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 01:45 GMT 

What an excellent sample! I've listened to it all about three times now (and favourite tracks more times). I really dig this 'Slow Train' - especially those train-like 'woo-woos' from the backing singers at the end. Looks like it'll be very hard to pick a favourite 'Slow Train' from the range in the box set. To me, the vocal delivery on this rendition of 'Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody' isn't quite as good as the one from 20 April that I'm more familiar with, but I see we're getting several versions in the box (including, I imagine, the very different arrangement that I've grown to like just as much). Lovely 'Covenant Woman' and 'City of Gold' performances are other highlights in my book.

I love the lyrical variations on the different versions of 'Caribbean Wind'. For me, this rehearsal take isn't quite as good as the other circulating outtake, but I do prefer this one to the Biograph version. Can't wait to hear the live take in good quality!

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 02:01 GMT 

I must admit to be being underwhelmed by the sampler

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 03:06 GMT 

It is very cool but still agree with Bob that they never nailed it

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 03:53 GMT 

Here's a digest of stevehoffmanforum thread

Quote:
it's very possible to take the two poorer releases - Saved and Shot of Love, supplement them with the various songs represented here, some previously unheard, and make two albums that rival Slow Train Coming
Quote:
Mostly agree, but think they have clearly held back on Shot of Love material. I don't think the book will be completely closed on the era after this comes out. There is a follow-up set waiting to be assembled.

Quote:
The duet with Clydie King on "Abraham, Martin & John" must be one of the greatest and most surprising treasures in the history of filmed Dylan
snippet here - https://www.instagram.com/p/BarVxYFFgri/?taken-by=tomasanderssonwij
Quote:
Dylan started performing "Abraham Martin and John" on the November 1980 reconciliation leg of the tour and continued with it through the summer of 1981. I wonder which concert this one is from. He also covered "We Just Disagree." Audiences loved these cover versions. "Abraham Martin and John" was followed by a duet of "Let's Keep It Between Us." He made "Abraham Martin and John" fit right in with the church songs. He added his own verse at the end, wait til you hear it. I predict pages and pages of discussion over this.

Quote:
That harmonica on "Dead Man" really smokes. It fits the groove perfectly.
The whole outtake has a fuzzed-out psych-reggae quality.

Quote:
The guitar solos in some of these preview tracks are making me a believer! Hallelujah! Those are smokin' licks!
Quote:
Wait til you hear Fred Tackett's leads at San Diego '79

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 04:24 GMT 

WTF it's an Every Grain studio 'rehearsal' not on the NPR sampler with sweet instrumentation, bob flubs the vocal a BIT ('and the...WEEDs of yesteryear') but this was a seriously going-for-it take! Full minute outro, pretty awesome studio work
https://www.vevo.com/watch/bob-dylan/every-grain-of-sand-(rehersal)-audio/USSM21701713
Knowing how Bob works it's laughable that this is labelled a rehearsal, he wanted this bitch in the can bad

Last edited by AndoDoug on Fri October 27th, 2017, 04:44 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 04:33 GMT 

Dead man is another great one that should have been the keeper. What's up with Bob Dylan? He holds back the takes that make the released ones sound inferior. Just watch - they'll put out a bootleg series that covers the Groove/Loaded/Burlesque period and it blows away those three crap albums with out takes and better versions. Dylan was making great music in the mid 80's, but we only got the crap.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 04:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

This Dead Man, Dead Man is amazing. A real head-scratcher that it wasn't chosen for the album, I guess it didn't have the pop sound he was going for. A whole new verse, too - at least to me. By the time it's over it feels epic.

Not sure if this Car. Wind will ultimately be my favorite, but let's face it the chorus on the booted alternate is not suitable for release. A real pity because the verses tear me up. It will take a long time to know if I prefer all the lyric changes here, but the performance is beautiful. Both leave the take released on Biograph in the dust, naturally.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 05:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

When He Returns!!!

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 08:21 GMT 

great to have a preview...Caribbean Wind > Excellent.. i have that one SanFrancisco version that is badly recorded...
and of course the other 2 versions that have been around...this one adds a new dimension...
and how about that live version of AINT GONNA GO TO HELL FOR ANYBODY !!, may be the best version yet

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 10:41 GMT 

Someone's breaking down mentally in their worship of "San Diego" on the hoffman forum - i think it's the last two bonus discs

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 11:03 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Someone's breaking down mentally in their worship of "San Diego" on the hoffman forum - i think it's the last two bonus discs

Thanks, saw it, the "wait til you hear" guy (clearly a plant by bobdylan.com!) (just kidding). You don't mean the last two, you mean the bonus set.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 11:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

These performances leave everything he released prior to 1979 gasping for breath, much of which seems lifeless in comparison to these recordings. This period was a musical renewal as well as spiritual.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 12:15 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
These performances leave everything he released prior to 1979 gasping for breath, much of which seems lifeless in comparison to these recordings. This period was a musical renewal as well as spiritual.
Errrr.... No. :D

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk