Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 22:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 12:13 GMT 

yopietro wrote:

'65 Dylan would have barfed in his hat if he had seen his '79 bible-thumping version.

You just don't know this.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 14:44 GMT 

I got into Dylan around the time of Desire/Hard Rain/SL/Budokan. When he put out Slow Train I wasn't really digging it. It was cool with the Knopfler guitar and all, but not what I wanted. Then Save and SOL came out and they were just ridiculous. Listen one time and put it back on the shelf. That's when I parted ways with Bob Dylan for a couple decades.

All these years later there is a different perspective. I'm not a fan of mod-bob. It's not something I would buy or pay to see for obvious reasons not worth listing. Taking that into account while hearing/watching Gospel Bob gives me a new perspective. The energy and anal fortitude is amazing. He was on fire. And he was working that post-SL burnt pretzel voice like I've rarely heard it. He had so much control. And the band is amazing. I'm starting to enjoy Gospel Bob.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 18:40 GMT 

I got into Dylan by the end 70s - I was something like 12 or 13 years old. I already had bought Desire, Greatest Hits #1 and Budokan.

Man Gave Names To All The Animals was the single from Slow Train Coming in France, and I found it pretty good but did not buy the record. I still like that song: it is in no way ambitious but works well as a poppy reggae tune, just for having a few minutes of good times. I suspect people who hate that song cannot stand Dylan performing such type of pop music and always expect more depth/ambition/whatever from him. But why would not he be authorised to just play something smart and cute?

Saved is the first Dylan LP I bought right when it was released and I was quite happy with it.
Then I bought to Blonde On Blonde and the accoustic folk albums. And later Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home. That was something else.

I did not buy Shot Of Love on account of very bad reviews.

I bought Infidels when it was released on account of very good reviews. And I was quite disappointed, apart from Jokerman and Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight. And the video for Sweetheart Like You really made me mad: what was that fake band of models instead of the actual musicians? Who was that girl pretending to play Mick Taylor's solo?
That's when I stopped buying Dylan records for a while (except Biograph and Bootleg Series 1-3). I did not even listen to Oh Mercy, I still was suspicious about good reviews for a Dylan record. And I really was somewhere else when Time Out Of Mind was released. I may have noticed some good reviews but I still hardly remember.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 19:49 GMT 

My timing is similar, the first Dylan album I bought upon release was Infidels, I was 12 years old. I loved it, and still love it. I was also getting into Reggae at the time, and the Dylan and Sly and Robbie combination hooked me. As I type, I realize that alot of the early 'digital' reggae around that time had some of the same production values as Infidels, so maybe my ear was attuned (or taste is so bad) that it was acceptable to me.

Soon after that I started to hear some of the bootlegs of Gospel period concerts, and I loved the music and didn't care much about the evangelism. Maybe its a jewish boy from the midwest thing. I never dug the Gospel "trilogy" of albums as much, but some of the tracks are killer of course.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 09:40 GMT 

No time at all. Was on board in '79. Superb stuff and will be viewed as a golden age. The naysayers were dismayed by the message and refused to listen to the music.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 09:42 GMT 

RichardW wrote:
yopietro wrote:

'65 Dylan would have barfed in his hat if he had seen his '79 bible-thumping version.

I think you underestimate younger Bob.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 11:26 GMT 

Singing Bear wrote:
RichardW wrote:
[quote="yopietro"]

I think you underestimate younger Bob.[/quote]Or overestimate him.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 14:07 GMT 

jman wrote:
and I loved the music and didn't care much about the evangelism.

Right, also forgot to mention: being a French native with only a few years of English courses at school, I could hardly understand the lyrics unless they are printed on the inner sleeve. Which was not the case. Then I never had problems with the lyrics on these records :D

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 14:19 GMT 

I bought the three albums listen to them and I like them right from the start.

You can hear that Bob realy believes in what he is singing.

And his singing is great on all three albums and especially the live shows from this period.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 15:05 GMT 

115th wrote:
I bought the three albums listen to them and I like them right from the start.

And his singing is great on all three albums and especially the live shows from this period.

To be fair you cant really say 78 and 79 are much different in the passion/belief blob brings to his singing, weather it be all i really wanna do in 78 or slow train in 79.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 15:11 GMT 

Yes, but the way he sings these songs is it that I say: Bob this great stuff.

I wouldn´t mind if he made one or even two more albums like these three.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 19:59 GMT 

115th wrote:

Maybe. If you right, this makes it even harder to tolerate.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 20:20 GMT 

Futile Horn wrote:
115th wrote:

All people can't be right all of the time.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 22:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Futile Horn wrote:
115th wrote:

I have to ask...

Why does it even matter what Bob believes? Bob and his band play the songs to great effect and Bob's vocals are delivered with passion. The result is fantastic music. Whether he believes in what he's singing or not, why would it matter?

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 00:07 GMT 

I got into Dylan when I was 12. Gospel period was way down on the list of priorities when I was buying the back catalogue on CD. But when I eventually got to it I loved Shot of Love, liked Slow Train and didn't mind Saved. I don't have any kind of religious beliefs, but I don't mind hearing someone sing about it if I like the music. I find his words quite stirring. Watching this performance of 'What Can I Do For You?' (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/arts/music/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-trouble-no-more.html?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F) I don't need to believe in or agree with what the singer is singing about to feel moved by the music and the words. Hell, I don't believe for a second that Johnny B. Goode was a real person, and that song kicks ass!

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 08:59 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:
I got into Dylan when I was 12. Gospel period was way down on the list of priorities when I was buying the back catalogue on CD. But when I eventually got to it I loved Shot of Love, liked Slow Train and didn't mind Saved. I don't have any kind of religious beliefs, but I don't mind hearing someone sing about it if I like the music. I find his words quite stirring. Watching this performance of 'What Can I Do For You?' (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/arts/music/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-trouble-no-more.html?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F) I don't need to believe in or agree with what the singer is singing about to feel moved by the music and the words. Hell, I don't believe for a second that Johnny B. Goode was a real person, and that song kicks ass!
Fair comment. But Chuck Berry didn't believe Johnny B. Goode was a real person, either. If he had, and kept banging on about how only Johnny B-lievers would be saved, and the rest of us were going to hell, I'd have eriously questioned his sanity.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 09:45 GMT 

Futile Horn wrote:
115th wrote:

Why? Because am man has true convictions?

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 12:42 GMT 

Singing Bear wrote:
Futile Horn wrote:
[quote="115th"] You can hear that Bob realy believes in what he is singing.

Why? Because am man has true convictions?[/quote]So did Hitler (yeah, yeah, I know, Godwin's Law, blah blah blah...)

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 16:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjmooney wrote:
midnightcowboy wrote:
Fair comment. But Chuck Berry didn't believe Johnny B. Goode was a real person, either. If he had, and kept banging on about how only Johnny B-lievers would be saved, and the rest of us were going to hell, I'd have eriously questioned his sanity.

Jesus B. Goode

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 11:22 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Why does it even matter what Bob believes? Bob and his band play the songs to great effect and Bob's vocals are delivered with passion. The result is fantastic music. Whether he believes in what he's singing or not, why would it matter?

Well ... The Beatles made fairly good music, but nevertheless millions of you? Americans started to hate Beatles after Lennon happened to say what he did about Jesus. Same with Dixie Chicks and Bush. And they didn't even sing about those things. So please let me abhor this Dylan period, because I don't like the general idea.