Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 02:11 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 23:49 GMT 

i had no trouble with Slow Train & Shot of Love, but saved was another thing for me.
But when time was rolling by , i really embraced this whole period of Bob.
You may have rejected it some 38 years ago, but how is that Now, 38 years later?

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 00:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Stuck with Bob through this period.
Glad too.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 05:52 GMT 

Still godawful.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 05:57 GMT 

McG wrote:
Still godawful.
Yep, this. STC at least SOUNDS good, but otherwise I still pretty much dislike all of it (especially Saved). Give me the last five 'Sinatra' albums any day.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 06:02 GMT 

I discovered Bob way after this Gospel trilogy. Having read some biographies, I kinda knew what to expect when I bought these albums. I always loved them and still enjoy listening to them, especially Saved and SLC.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 07:44 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
McG wrote:
Still godawful.
Yep, this. STC at least SOUNDS good, but otherwise I still pretty much dislike all of it (especially Saved). Give me the last five 'Sinatra' albums any day.

This is also how I feel.
Bob singing "Sinatra" songs are preferable for me too. This was such a terrible choice for a Bootleg Series release IMO. I hated just hearing about it when word got out that this was gonna be it.
I sure wish this volume was something I could enjoy instead.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:38 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
I discovered Bob way after this Gospel trilogy. Having read some biographies, I kinda knew what to expect when I bought these albums. I always loved them and still enjoy listening to them, especially Saved and SLC.

This for me, i like the fuller sound on these albums. I dont think another dylan album was produced with such great sound.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:52 GMT 

The only christian album I knew for a long time was Slow train coming, and it took me a while to enjoy it.
The thing is, I got into Dylan through my parent´s records. It all started with Desire. One summer, my sister and I were making this huge puzzle (3 or 4 thousand pieces) on a big table in the living room, and I got into playing vinyl records while we were at it. Desire started to resonate slowly but surely as something major, exciting. And I started to listening to this stuff alone in my bedroom, giving it proper attention. Then it was BOTT, then I started buying my won (H61, BIABH, etc) and so on.
so this means I started at the peak, and compared to those masterpieces Slow train coming was inevitably "meh".
But then I learnt to appreciate Dylan´s medium, so so or directly dodgy efforts in all their glory. I bought both Shot of love and Saved many years later and enjoyed them from the beginning.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 11:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Saved is a great record, if nothing else, to hear the incredible band - Jim Keltner, Spooner Oldham, Fred Tackett, Tim Drummond, etc. Bob's singing was great in that period too. Love it.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 13:31 GMT 

Slow Train Coming i liked early on. It sounded to me better than street legal at the time, mostly because of the way it's recorded and probably also because i was prepared for the worst. On a personal level, it made me sad because i thought Dylan went a bit bonkers during that period. But i was in denial as to how bonkers he'd really gone until i heard him preaching live on youtube.
Saved and shot of love did take me a while.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 14:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm still not there.

I'm kind of allergic to Jesus freaks.

I dipped my toe into it about a year ago. Someone here posted a link to a cover of "Pressin On" by one of his former backup singers(Regina McCrary)and it pretty much blew my mind.
It is off the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4YBi07cWw

Regina toured with Bob Dylan around 1980. She played about 150 shows with Dylan. She said, “Everything that I shared and experienced onstage with Bob Dylan has played a big role in who I am and where I am today in my life.”

I'm ready now to dive in head first, but still hesitant. The big plus is that this was an era of peak vocal abilities for Bob, and massive orchestration and backup singers makes it a Dylan buffet to linger at.

Last edited by chrome horse on Thu October 26th, 2017, 14:54 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 14:49 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
The big plus is that this was an era of peak vocal abilities for Bob

It wasn't, it really, really wasn't. I wonder if my ears are evolutionarily superior or something. Probably.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 14:53 GMT 

McG wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

It wasn't, it really, really wasn't. I wonder if my ears are evolutionarily superior or something. Probably.

agreed !!!! It wasn't at all !
To repeat this again and again, doesn't make it more true.
Maybe his voice was more compatible for easy-listening-fans and of course it was not bad. But Bob wasn't at the "peak of his vocal ablilities" then!

Last edited by HopE on Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:00 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 14:59 GMT 

I loved it right off the bat. I appreciated the directness even though I didn't share his beliefs. Saw three of the four April 1980 shows at Massey Hall, including going one night with the son of an evangelist - he only wanted to hear the "classics." Stoked for the new release.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

McG wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

OK, peak was the wrong word. McG certainly does have extra terrestrial audio skills, we know that, so I'm not going down that road.

Let's just say Bob still had a strong voice in this era, and that in itself makes the dive worthwhile. And the good news? He wasn't passin' the hat for donations then, like most of the preachers we see - "Jesus saves, so get out your checkbook for Jesus!".

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:42 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
He wasn't passin' the hat for donations then, like most of the preachers we see - "Jesus saves, so get out your checkbook for Jesus!".

What ?
Bob did this. He didn't pass his hat, but he asked for you checkbook or your bills, when you asked for lps or tickets - of course the money was not for Jesus but for him - but that's nothing to complain about. It's ok, that he wants to be payed for his work.
And be sure: Although many fans weren't happy with his gospels, he made much money with it over the years.

Last edited by HopE on Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:47 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

HopE wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
He wasn't passin' the hat for donations then, like most of the preachers we see - "Jesus saves, so get out your checkbook for Jesus!".
:?
What do you write?
Bob did this. He asked for you checkbook when you asked for lps or tickets - of course the money was not for Jesus but for him - but that's nothing to complain about. And although many fans weren't happy with his gospels, he made much money with it over the years.

I was mimicking what preachers say at church - "gimme your money!"

Bob doesn't do that. You are confused. Money spent for a Bob Dylan concert is an investment in historical magic - and money well spent.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:47 GMT 

jesus saves, so get your chequebook out and have trouble no more.

I cant hear much difference in his voice from 78 to 81.

Is it fair to say that the years after 81 saw a dramatic change in blobs voice? More growling on the albums that came after?

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:49 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
You are confused. Money spent for a Bob Dylan concert is an investment in historical magic - and money well spent.

You are Bob's manager and his press officer, aren't you

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

HopE wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
You are confused. Money spent for a Bob Dylan concert is an investment in historical magic - and money well spent.

You are Bob's manager and his press officer, aren't you

In my dreams, yes, of course. For a small fee, I can arrange a private audience with El Bobo. Cash, check, or charge?

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 16:28 GMT 

I still don't appreciate it. and I really can't stand the female backvocals . (including Street Legal)

I bought Trouble No More anyway, for my collection and I am curious to watch the movie.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 17:03 GMT 

I was very very young in Bob's gospel years and i was only wondering, why on Earth a such beautiful artist singing such wonderful songs looked like that, dressed this way. I repeat i was very very young and wise.

But even with my young age, i immediately enjoyed Bob's gospel songs. They stayed in my mind and my thoughts. And they have followed me until today.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 17:36 GMT 

I never really got into this period, his weakest in my humble opinion. I still feel it was Bob becoming disappointingly conventional (at worst, classic rock). I reckon he only started to emerge from it with 'Infidels'... A few good songs came out of it, but not many really. I'll buy the 2-CD out of curiosity and loyalty I guess.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 

Although technically these are rock songs, pulling off a stunt like that was far from conventional. If anything, he was being radical as ever during the gospel years. Which is why he was practically forced to add some classic songs to the setlists in 1981.

edit: Just to clarify, i'm not mad about that period either and ideologically i couldn't feel more distant to what he was doing. I just think it's unfair to call it conventional.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 20:26 GMT 

McG wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

Do go on.