Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 00:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 20:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Ain't Talkin' wrote:

I just keep getting myself in deeper. :cry:

Nah, you're fine! That's a good tune!

Last edited by Still Go Barefoot on Sun October 22nd, 2017, 20:11 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 20:11 GMT 

Great tribute from Bob to Tom Petty. Heartfely.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 20:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm so glad Dylan actually acknowledged Tom in this way. We've learned not to expect anything from him, but I think Tom meant more to him than most. It was a beautiful rendition - and didn't George tear up those drums?!

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 21:16 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
I'm so glad Dylan actually acknowledged Tom in this way. We've learned not to expect anything from him, but I think Tom meant more to him than most. It was a beautiful rendition - and didn't George tear up those drums?!

He did, he did.

High time he did!

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 23:01 GMT 

How awesome and touching. They all sound so good! Does anyone know if he sounded this good the whole show? He really gives it his all when it comes to other peoples songs.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 23:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

ShotofMercy wrote:
How awesome and touching. They all sound so good! Does anyone know if he sounded this good the whole show? He really gives it his all when it comes to other peoples songs.

He’s actually sounded pretty good all year, or more!
Regardless of song selection.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 23:22 GMT 

[/quote]
He’s actually sounded pretty good all year, or more!
Regardless of song selection.[/quote]

I listened to a few concerts from earlier this year and late ones from last year (after I saw him live myself), and I wanted to listen to more shows but didn't have the chance the past few months. If I wasn't doing work I was listening to his records! Glad to hear he's still putting on awesome shows, now I need to catch up.

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 01:27 GMT 

Very nice thing to do, and done well.

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 02:59 GMT 

Brought a tear or two. Really leaning into it, they all sound great, george is fantastic on the drums as someone as mentioned. Great vocal by Bob !

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 10:06 GMT 

Beautiful performance by Bob and Band, I'm sure Mr Tom would be mighty proud of that!

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 16:15 GMT 

Does anyone realize he sings, "Gonna wax my nuts" instead of "And the rocks might melt"6:

56 Second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPJ1PYYZRBQ

Actual lyrics:

"Well the good ol' days may not return
And the rocks might melt and the sea may bur

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 11:21 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Wow, great!
Amazing sweet singing

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 17:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this - that Dylan was at his best during the 80s when performing with Tom's band - Rolling Stone agrees -
"The Heartbreakers are undoubtably one of the greatest backing bands Dylan has ever worked with, capable of playing any song in his catalog with one second's notice. It would be incredible if he took them out on the road for a future tour now that they are a band without a leader, but Dylan is very happy with the current iteration of his Never Ending Tour band and such a drastic change is almost impossible to imagine. At the very least, they should chronicle their 1986/87 tour on a future chapter of the Bootleg Series."
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... =102417_13

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 18:26 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this - that Dylan was at his best during the 80s when performing with Tom's band - Rolling Stone agrees -
"The Heartbreakers are undoubtably one of the greatest backing bands Dylan has ever worked with, capable of playing any song in his catalog with one second's notice. It would be incredible if he took them out on the road for a future tour now that they are a band without a leader, but Dylan is very happy with the current iteration of his Never Ending Tour band and such a drastic change is almost impossible to imagine. At the very least, they should chronicle their 1986/87 tour on a future chapter of the Bootleg Series."

Sorry, but Dylan was absolutely not "at his best during the 80s when performing with Tom's band," regardless of what some writer at Rolling Stone says...

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 20:03 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:

I'd take the RTR over the Heartbreakers any given day.
Still, yes, it was a great backing band and - sure enough - the last rock band Dylan has played with.

My personal chart reads:
1- RTR
2- The Band
3- The Heartbreakers

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

lovethatcountrypie wrote:
Sorry, but Dylan was absolutely not "at his best during the 80s when performing with Tom's band," regardless of what some writer at Rolling Stone says...

Yes, I like the stuff he did with Tom, but from what I've heard the '88 tour is the pinnacle of Bob's '80s tours for me.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

lovethatcountrypie wrote:
doomedtoloveyou wrote:

Hard to say when Bob was “at his best in the 80’s” ...
Those gospel shows, early in that decade were very good, as was the Petty Period, AND the G.E. Smith Period.
A lotta good shows in the 80’s! Hard to say what’s “best.”

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:39 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Those gospel shows, early in that decade were very good, as was the Petty Period, AND the G.E. Smith Period.

When you had tickets for a Bob show in the 80s (after great performances during the loved or hated gospel-period and the following great shows in 1981) and in the 90s you didn't know what to expect. For me this was so in the Petty-period, in the Grateful-Dead-period, in the G.E.Smith-period: this was so all the time; Bob was well-known, notorious and feared because of his unconsitency. If you had luck, you saw stellar performances, if you had less luck, you saw an artist fighting with his demons on stage. As far as I remember Bob's performances became more constant beginning in the middle of the 90s

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:19 GMT 

Quote:

Bob was at his best in the '80s when he was in the studio with either Knopfler or Lanois. Though Peace Sunday was pretty sweet, especially A Pirate Looks at Forty (during which my friends and I and the other 100,000 people there were saying "What the hell song is that?").

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 09:08 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
doomedtoloveyou wrote:

I'd take the RTR over the Heartbreakers any given day.
Still, yes, it was a great backing band and - sure enough - the last rock band Dylan has played with.

My personal chart reads:
1- RTR
2- The Band
3- The Heartbreakers

RTR is the nadir for me. Never listen to that stuff.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 09:24 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:
RTR is the nadir for me. Never listen to that stuff.

Sure.
And the present band rocks.
And his Sinatra phase shows what an unpredictable genius he is.
And his best album ever is Love And Theft.
Sure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: