Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:41 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 13:23 GMT 

Just curious about the extent to which Bob is involved in putting together the Bootleg series releases. i.e., is he active in choosing the period for the albums and consulted in selecting and sequencing songs? I can’t imagine him sifting through hundreds of live recordings and choosing which versions to include (probably one of his deeper levels of hell) but am just curious whether he has any input or if it’s one of those things that the record company has the power to do but that he would rather pretend doesn’t exist and washes his hands of completely—like I imagine him doing with regards to most everything sold at the tour merchandise tables.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 13:31 GMT 

I'm pretty sure that he isn't involved in it very much. But I believe he's got the right to veto on anything he doesn't like.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 14:34 GMT 

They keep him as far away from these things as they can, but if he's good they let him put the stickers on the deluxe boxes.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 14:43 GMT 

There was an article a while ago that referenced Bob and the BS when it was rumoured that the BOOT tapes would be part of the series and Bob was furious that some of the tapes where damaged/missing. I would image bobs people make the series present it to bob and he gives them a yes or no, much like the making of "I'm not there" and "the girl from the north country" play.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:09 GMT 

How one can imagine that Bob is not involved in making the bootleg series album !

Of course HE IS involved. And surely, a lot.

That's incredible that some people are able to think differently. Really.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:28 GMT 

And sometimes - if its raining and someone's called in sick - they even let him put the CDs in the sleeves.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:36 GMT 

JackaRoe61 wrote:
How one can imagine that Bob is not involved in making the bootleg series album !

Could not agree more. He's fully invested in his legacy and I don't think he misses much. Just think of how much time he spends each year getting his music in front of audiences. He doesn't have to do it for finance. I remember that statement; 'I wanted to never be forgotten'.
He is witnessing and directing a process that with other entertainers takes place posthumously. It's quite something.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:51 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
Could not agree more. He's fully invested in his legacy and I don't think he misses much. Just think of how much time he spends each year getting his music in front of audiences. He doesn't have to do it for finance. I remember that statement; 'I wanted to never be forgotten'.
He is witnessing and directing a process that with other entertainers takes place posthumously. It's quite something.

He's only doing what everyone else is doing, stop putting him on a plinth.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 17:09 GMT 

I imagine his involvement consisting of having to sit through boring meetings, acting disinterested and eager to wrap things up. They send him things to approve and then have to nag him. His manager acts as his proxy, doing all the tedious work. Then Bob signs off. A few months later they send him a sample of the finished product and he doesn't even unwrap it. That's what I imagine.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 17:28 GMT 

Well, he wrote and sang the songs, that's about as involved as you can get.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 19:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

He approves of the general idea for each set, then reviews the near-finished product and makes any changes. Also, as with recent studio releases, he assigns the album cover design to a grandchild on his 9th birthday, when said child also receives a laptop. It's sort of a project to get them started and a way to say thank you to grandpa.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 20:01 GMT 

slewan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that he isn't involved in it very much. But I believe he's got the right to veto on anything he doesn't like.

So you think he‘s responsible for omitting „let´s keep it between us“ from the box?

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 21:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

McG wrote:
He's only doing what everyone else is doing, stop putting him on a plinth.

Word.

"everybody's gotta live, and everybody's gonna die, everybody gotta have a good time, I guess you know the reason why" (Arthur Lee)

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 02:51 GMT 

The most interesting thing to me regarding this particular release is whether he was involved in the decision to excise the "sermons".

I've read the official reason and it's bs.
Was it Bob or was it Sony? Or both?

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 04:38 GMT 

One of the few consistent sentiments he's expressed is that he doesn't listen to his old records so I really doubt it.

For more solid evidence, he only started playing Blind Willie McTell after he heard the Band's cover and referred to the BS1-3 take in a way that suggests he had never really listened to it.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 07:07 GMT 

I read somewhere he asked that a certain take of a certain song was included on Vol1-3 (sorry, can't be more specific) but it seems his input is fairly minimal. It seems Jeff Rosen is the driving force behind the series. Back in 1991 it was inconceivable we'd get what we have and, don't forget, there were seven years between vol 1-3 and vol 4. By the way is there any recordings from the 1980 Retrospective tour? That to me appears to be the main omission.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 13:24 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
.... By the way is there any recordings from the 1980 Retrospective tour? That to me appears to be the main omission.

"only" four tracks from Nov-Dec 1980, and also "only" four tracks from Oct-Nov 1981

The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar (Live Nov. 13, 1980)
Caribbean Wind (Live Nov. 12, 1980)
City of Gold (Live Nov. 22, 1980)
Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Live Dec. 2, 1980)

Solid Rock (Live Oct. 23, 1981)
In the Summertime (Live Oct. 21, 1981)
Every Grain of Sand (Live Nov. 21, 1981)
Thief on the Cross (Live Nov. 10, 1981)

regarding the subject of this thread, hard to say how involved he was with selection and sequencing here, but for now I would guess that there is not a single track on BS13 which is released against his will

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 13:40 GMT 

Of course he is involved! It's his legacy, for heavens sake. An artist of his stature is not about to just let some suit fill in the details of the amazing picture he is creating through his music. No doubt there is a research team and a producer. They would all ultimately answer to him in the end.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 17:37 GMT 

The Bootleg Series are put together by Jeff Rosen who btw is not some lame suit. Of course Dylan has approval power as does Columbia Legacy, but it is Jeff's project and whoever he decides to have work with him on each one.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 22:20 GMT 

I get the impression from what I've read about him that he probably
couldn't care less about the Bootleg Series.
He's probably more interested in whatever woman he's dating atm
and what, if any new songs he's going to record.
He was reluctant to appear in that 'No Direction Home' film but i guess
a healthy paycheck gave him a second opinion.
What i would like to see is Chronicles 2, i loved that book, he's a gifted
writer, or has a gifted ghost writer whatever the case maybe.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 22:45 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
I imagine his involvement consisting of having to sit through boring meetings, acting disinterested and eager to wrap things up. They send him things to approve and then have to nag him. His manager acts as his proxy, doing all the tedious work. Then Bob signs off. A few months later they send him a sample of the finished product and he doesn't even unwrap it. That's what I imagine.

Thats what i was going to say, i dont think its that he dosent care, more that he trusts his "team", jeff rosen etc, to keep constructing his legacy as such.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 05:10 GMT 

I don't think he's that eager to be involved in projects that take a look at his previous musical output, but I don't think he let the stuff that he don't want people to hear get released, either.

So, I bet he listens (or he's made to listen) to the whole stuff at least once or twice.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 08:31 GMT 

JackaRoe61 wrote:

Just naysayers and/or people who knows f*** nothing about music and music industry.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 12:57 GMT 

Please enlighten us in what you know about "the music" industry that we may be missing here?

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 17:21 GMT 

Has Bob ever commented on the BS series, in an interview or whatever? I'm not aware of any such comment, but of course I would like to be corrected on this one.

I don't think that Bob is really interested in those kinds of things. He may have some veto power, but most likely he doesn't want to be bothered with decisions like that. And details like song selection, which take of which recording, include this concert, but leave out that one...no, I can't see our man thinking about those things.