Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 03:22 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 16th, 2012, 12:31 GMT
Posts: 99
Location: cincinnati ohio
Anyone able to confirm Bumps Blackwell was engineer on late 50s/ early 60s LR so-called “gospel period/ phase”? Regardless, love the parallels with BD so-called “gospel phase” of late 70s/ early 80s
and that Bumps Blackwell produced a few on Shot of Love.’


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 05:55 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon August 8th, 2011, 09:39 GMT
Posts: 1819
Location: Between Lincoln County Road and Armageddon
I don't know about Little Richards "gospel period". But Blackwell produced many of Little Richard's classic hits (Long Tall Sally, Tutti Frutti etc.)
Wasn't it one of Dylan's childhood ambitions to join Little Richards band? Maybe this had something to do with Blackwell being hired to work on the Shot of Love tracks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 08:08 GMT 

Joined: Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:46 GMT
Posts: 971
WrittenInMySoul wrote:
I don't know about Little Richards "gospel period". But Blackwell produced many of Little Richard's classic hits (Long Tall Sally, Tutti Frutti etc.)
Wasn't it one of Dylan's childhood ambitions to join Little Richards band? Maybe this had something to do with Blackwell being hired to work on the Shot of Love tracks.

He'd also found out what working with a legendary R&B producer can do for you.
Through Wexler's efforts Slow Train Coming had given Bob a hit album and his
first ever grammy.
The first two gospel albums (Pray Along with little Richard Vol 1&2) of Little Richard were
not produced by Bumps. Herman Stevens is the only player of any note, and the sessions
did not yield any classic material. The King Of Gospel Singers (1962) was produced by a
young Quincy Jones. (These three albums were on the Gone & Mercury labels)
Richard was reunited with Bumps Blackwell in 1972 with the Second Coming album which
I believe came out on Specialty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 20:10 GMT 

Joined: Tue September 5th, 2017, 13:48 GMT
Posts: 5
Richard's first gospel album is pretty good I thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 21:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 31st, 2006, 09:13 GMT
Posts: 2115
Location: out on Decatur Hill
I think Little Richard's "Pray Along" albums (now available on CD) include some of the greatest recordings he ever made, strongly influenced by one of his idols, Mahalia Jackson. The records were of course very different from the preceding Rock & Roll albums and therefore continue to be overlooked, even though the music on them was very close to Richard's heart, because it was the music he was exposed to early in his life in the south. The arrangements (just organ and piano) are authentic, atmospheric and timeless and the records have some of Richard's best vocals:

I Want Jesus To Walk With Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy9FmNHzHlI (one of Richard's very best recordings)
Troubles Of The World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dALxD4Xn6Ic
Tell God All My Troubles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5cBnSs8hoc

The Quincy Jones produced "King Of The Gospel Singers" on the other hand, while still a very good album, is much more of a polished, mainstream gospel album.

Even though Little Richard is one of Dylan's main inspirations, I do not think that Dylan's gospel albums were influenced by Little Richard all that much. If you want to single out one musician as an important source of inspiration behind Dylan's gospel music it would certainly be Bob Marley, particularly with his 1977 album "Exodus" and the whole onstage presentation of his shows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 22:54 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21163
My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
If you want to single out one musician as an important source of inspiration behind Dylan's gospel music it would certainly be Bob Marley, particularly with his 1977 album "Exodus" and the whole onstage presentation of his shows.


Two Bobs. No waiting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 01:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Sun February 28th, 2010, 20:24 GMT
Posts: 8212
My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
I think Little Richard's "Pray Along" albums (now available on CD) include some of the greatest recordings he ever made, strongly influenced by one of his idols, Mahalia Jackson. The records were of course very different from the preceding Rock & Roll albums and therefore continue to be overlooked, even though the music on them was very close to Richard's heart, because it was the music he was exposed to early in his life in the south. The arrangements (just organ and piano) are authentic, atmospheric and timeless and the records have some of Richard's best vocals:

I Want Jesus To Walk With Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy9FmNHzHlI (one of Richard's very best recordings)
Troubles Of The World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dALxD4Xn6Ic
Tell God All My Troubles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5cBnSs8hoc

The Quincy Jones produced "King Of The Gospel Singers" on the other hand, while still a very good album, is much more of a polished, mainstream gospel album.

Even though Little Richard is one of Dylan's main inspirations, I do not think that Dylan's gospel albums were influenced by Little Richard all that much. If you want to single out one musician as an important source of inspiration behind Dylan's gospel music it would certainly be Bob Marley, particularly with his 1977 album "Exodus" and the whole onstage presentation of his shows.


I used to have some of Little Richard's Gospel work. I always thought it overlooked and undervalued due to it being "gospel" music.
Much like Bob Dylan's live shows from his gospel era.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 11:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 16th, 2012, 12:31 GMT
Posts: 99
Location: cincinnati ohio
This Robert Allen Bumps Blackwell report says he reunited with Little Richard to produce his 1961 Mercury Gospel release

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/mes ... ckwell.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 12:31 GMT 

Joined: Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:46 GMT
Posts: 971
syd natanist wrote:
This Robert Allen Bumps Blackwell report says he reunited with Little Richard to produce his 1961 Mercury Gospel release

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/mes ... ckwell.htm

Interesting. No other sources bear this out, but just mention Quincy & his Orchestra.
The album was recorded in 2 phases though between 1961 & '62. Maybe Bumps got
involved in the second phase. I'm not convinced though either from documentation
or the sound of the record.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 14:55 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6723
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
Bob was in a rockabilly mood in the 80's. It runs through his veins as much as the gospel, blues, folk, and jazz. I know the death of Rick Nelson affected him as much as Elvis. Disillusioned with the 80's way of producing records he probably reached back for a Little Richard feel on Shot of Love. You hear it on Trouble, which is a rip off of some 50's/60's song, can't remember the title anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 22:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 16th, 2012, 12:31 GMT
Posts: 99
Location: cincinnati ohio
I also think Wikipedia has some interesting points for this... Blackwell as A&R Director of Mercury when the label released Richard’s King of Gospel Singers... Quincy Jones is protege of Blackwell and was a young trumpeter in Blackwell’s band.

Sure, it’s wikipedia, but these tidbits (as written and not written) throughout this thread would seem like stuff Mr. Dylan might know through and through.

Regardless, it’s getting extra fun to imagine Dylan in his so-called Gospel period relating to Little Richard in his so-called Gospel period. To have Bumps do 3 songs on Shot of Love might have felt like his high school yearbook remarks/ aspirations coming to life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Blackwell


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cat, commedagh, My Echo, My Shadow And Me


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group