Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 23:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 17:26 GMT 

Just to reflect it was way back in 1994 that Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Volume 3 was released. Apparently it peaked at No. 126 on the Billboard 200. Looking on the track list for that album which features recordings released between the years 1973 and 1991 doesn't make inspired reading. So from Good As I Been To You to Triplicate(?) we should be able to compile a track list which is much more exciting than the previous Greatest Hits release. For the CD format I would think 65 minutes of music is what we should aim for.

Love Sick, Cold Irons Bound, Make You Feel My Love, Things Have Changed, Summer Days, Not Dark Yet, Early Roman Kings, Melancholy Mood, High Water, Workingman's Blues #2, Nettie Moore, Ain't Talkin', Scarlet Town, Soon After Midnight, Long and Wasted Years, Blood In My Eyes, Forgetful Heart... it's going to be a toughie!

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 17:50 GMT 

1. Blood in my eyes
2. Love sick
3. Not Dark Yet
4. Things have changed
5. Mississippi
6. High Water
7. Sugar Baby
8. Cross the green Mountain
9. Thunder on the mountain
10. Workingman's Blues #2
11. Forgetful Heart
12. Long and wasted years
13. I'm a Fool to Want You

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

This isn't easy if you're limiting us to 70 mins mark.
If it was a double CD it'd be easier because a lot of
his better later work is mid to slow tempo numbers
and usually these collections are tempered with faster
tracks to break up the slower pacing, but for a single
disc and having to include one trk from every studio
album i'd go for

01 - Lovesick
02 - Pay In Blood
03 - Mississipi
04 - Standing In The Doorway
05 - Someday Baby
06 - Scarlet Town
07 - I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plans
08 - Tryin' To Get To Heaven
09 - Ragged And Dirty
10 - Melancholy Mood
11 - Not Dark Yet
12 - Things Have Changed
13 - I'm A Fool To Want You
14 - Forgetful Heart
15 - Hard Times

I'd think a Greatest Hits V4 should be a double CD though because there's
an embarrassment of riches on his post 1992 albums

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 18:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Sprinkling the "Sinatra Stuff" among his own songs. Bad. To be consistent, they should do a regular 1 disc GH 4, and a de-luxe GH 4 with a bonus disc of two unreleased Sinatra songs and charge 100 dollars more for it.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 18:25 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
^ Sprinkling the "Sinatra Stuff" among his own songs. Bad. To be consistent, they should do a regular 1 disc GH 4, and a de-luxe GH 4 with a bonus disc of two unreleased Sinatra songs and charge 100 dollars more for it.

For it to be a true reflection of his studio output not including
anything from the past three albums would be inaccurate.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 19:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

It would be perfectly accurate. Nothing that's "Great" in Bob Dylan's catalog came off of his last 3 albums.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 21:08 GMT 

To satisfy the 'trades description' I suppose a Greatest Hits compilation should contain a few 'hits' - Must Be Santa?

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
To satisfy the 'trades description' I suppose a Greatest Hits compilation should contain a few 'hits' - Must Be Santa?

Thunder on the Mountain was a bit of a hit wasn't it?

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 22:27 GMT 

For me in a way Tell Tale Signs was a greatest hits, of generally previously unreleased material at least ;-)

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 23:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

Yes, but it's too jarring to have the Great American Songbook randomly spread among Dylan's self-pitying musings. They should be placed at the end of the disc, if it is one disc. 2 or 3 wonderful Dylan interpretations at most, like Lucky Old Sun.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 01:02 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Yes, but it's too jarring to have the Great American Songbook randomly spread among Dylan's self-pitying musings. They should be placed at the end of the disc, if it is one disc. 2 or 3 wonderful Dylan interpretations at most, like Lucky Old Sun.

The Night We Called It A Day was released as a single so perhaps that should be included!

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 01:24 GMT 

BTW, just for reference this is the track listing from Volume 3

1. Tangled Up in Blue
2. Changing of the Guards
3. The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar
4. Hurricane (Bob Dylan, Jacques Levy)
5. Forever Young
6. Jokerman
7. Dignity
8. Silvio (Bob Dylan, Robert Hunter)
9. Ring Them Bells
10. Gotta Serve Somebody
11. Series of Dreams
12. Brownsville Girl (Bob Dylan, Sam Shepard)
13. Under the Red Sky
14. Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Not a particular 'hard act' to follow, surely as someone said 'there's an embarrassment of riches on his post 1992 albums'

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 07:00 GMT 

How many "hits" ,chartwise speaking,did Bob Dylan have in the last 25 years? I doubt that there are enough of them to pick the "greatest" of them.
Of course, sooner or later we are going to get another compoilation album with Bob Dylan "hits". I don't know if the world is ready for it, but I doubt the world is really waiting for it.

What I would like to see is some sort of Side Tracks Vol. 2 . Another collection of rarities, b-sides etc. There still must be enough of officially released but impossible to find material to justify another such release.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 07:24 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
BTW, just for reference this is the track listing from Volume 3

1. Tangled Up in Blue
2. Changing of the Guards
3. The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar
4. Hurricane (Bob Dylan, Jacques Levy)
5. Forever Young
6. Jokerman
7. Dignity
8. Silvio (Bob Dylan, Robert Hunter)
9. Ring Them Bells
10. Gotta Serve Somebody
11. Series of Dreams
12. Brownsville Girl (Bob Dylan, Sam Shepard)
13. Under the Red Sky
14. Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Not a particular 'hard act' to follow, surely as someone said 'there's an embarrassment of riches on his post 1992 albums'

A great - if eccentric - collection, which I have played to death over the years, and given as a gift many times, to Dylan-curious friends. I still wonder, though, what the hell 'Silvio' is doing on there!

A GH4 could be very strong indeed. It should of course contain no 'Sinatra' songs.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 07:47 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
How many "hits" ,chartwise speaking,did Bob Dylan have in the last 25 years? I doubt that there are enough of them to pick the "greatest" of them.
Of course, sooner or later we are going to get another compoilation album with Bob Dylan "hits". I don't know if the world is ready for it, but I doubt the world is really waiting for it.

What I would like to see is some sort of Side Tracks Vol. 2 . Another collection of rarities, b-sides etc. There still must be enough of officially released but impossible to find material to justify another such release.

I take your point, but there again Volume 3 wasn't exactly jam packed with 'hits'. Baby Stop Crying made to No. 13 in the UK, his biggest hit of the period and it isn't even featured. Knockin' On Heaven's Door made No. 12 in the U.S., No. 13 in the UK. Tangled Up In Blue made it to No. 33 in the US. Jokerman wasn't a hit anywhere. Dignity got to No. 33 in the UK, didn't chart in the US.
The best 'chart' position for the period we're thinking about is Must Be Santa which peaked at No. 41 in the UK! Love Sick and Things Have Changed also broke into the Top 75 here in the UK but didn't make the US charts.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 08:11 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
WrittenInMySoul wrote:

I take your point, but there again Volume 3 wasn't exactly jam packed with 'hits'. Baby Stop Crying made to No. 13 in the UK, his biggest hit of the period and it isn't even featured. Knockin' On Heaven's Door made No. 12 in the U.S., No. 13 in the UK. Tangled Up In Blue made it to No. 33 in the US. Jokerman wasn't a hit anywhere. Dignity got to No. 33 in the UK, didn't chart in the US.
The best 'chart' position for the period we're thinking about is Must Be Santa which peaked at No. 41 in the UK! Love Sick and Things Have Changed also broke into the Top 75 here in the UK but didn't make the US charts.

Dylan's 'Greatest Hits' collections have always been misnomers, and knowingly so. He has never been a 'hits' artist.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 08:17 GMT 

Here's my selection anyway:

Blood In My Eyes
Love Sick
Make You Feel My Love
Not Dark Yet
Summer Days
High Water
Things Have Changed
Workingman’s Blues #2
Ain’t Talkin’
Forgetful Heart
Duquesne Whistle
Long and Wasted Years
Pay In Blood
The Night We Called It A Day
Melancholy Mood

What it's missing is an unreleased gem, one track to make the completists buy it. Maybe one of the Unplugged recordings that didn't make it to the official release?

Last edited by dvdunplugged on Sun October 15th, 2017, 08:32 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 08:22 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Here's my selection anyway:

Blood In Her Eyes
Love Sick
Make You Feel My Love
Not Dark Yet
Summer Days
High Water
Things Have Changed
Workingman’s Blues #2
Ain’t Talkin’
Forgetful Heart
Duquesne Whistle
Long and Wasted Years
Pay In Blood
The Night We Called It A Day
Melancholy Mood

What it's missing is an unreleased gem, one track to make the completists buy it. Maybe one of the Unplugged recordings that didn't make it to the official release?

Wow! I would include maybe 2 of those on my list.

>Blood In Her Eyes

What's that?

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 08:37 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:

>Blood In Her Eyes

What's that?

Well Love Sick and Things Have Changed are there because they were actually hits in the UK, Make You Feel My Love features a lot on TV and Radio because it was recorded by Adele and I decided to leave off Must Be Santa. Title corrected for Blood In My Eyes, spelling corrected on another title.
Why not commit your listing so we can comment on it?

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
FieldingMellish wrote:

>Blood In Her Eyes

What's that?

Well Love Sick and Things Have Changed are there because they were actually hits in the UK, Make You Feel My Love features a lot on TV and Radio because it was recorded by Adele and I decided to leave off Must Be Santa. Title corrected for Blood In My Eyes, spelling corrected on another title.
Why not commit your listing so we can comment on it?

With respect, you must stop fixating on this 'hits' thing. Adele? Are you f*cking kidding me?!

As for a list, that would require some thought.... I did do something similar a while back, when Tempest was released, saying that if you were aiming to assemble some sort of ten track ‘best of’ compilation, documenting Dylan’s ‘Critical Renaissance Period’ in chronological release date order, you might end up with:

1. Standing in the Doorway

2. Tryin’ to Get to Heaven

3. Not Dark Yet

4. Things Have Changed

5. Mississippi

6. Floater (Too Much to Ask)

7. Po’ Boy

8. Red River Shore

9. Soon After Midnight

10. Pay in Blood

http://www.oomska.co.uk/long-and-wasted ... s-tempest/

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 16:24 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
With respect, you must stop fixating on this 'hits' thing. Adele? Are you f*cking kidding me?!

And also, with the greatest respect, I don't think it's done Dylan's career any harm with other artists having huge hits with his songs. I'm thinking Peter, Paul and Mary, Julie Driscoll, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Bryan Ferry, Manfred Mann, etc, etc. Adele is just one more pop act that has released a Dylan song and made the public more aware of his song writing talents.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

There are some other threads on this topic, and I'm sure I have a list on at least one of them. I always thought GH3 had a great flow to it, and was chock full of great tracks. I don't know why I bought it, because I had most of his albums at that point, but I listened to it often and I think it does it's job as an enticement for newbies to check out more.

It's essentially one song per album, presented non-chronologically. Series of Dreams is a bit of a cheat on this but if I remember it was also a different mix and/or edit to the one released on BS1-3. Most of the songs were at least attempted as singles or featured releases (Jokerman even had a video). The era covers 14 albums (not counting Dylan and the Basement Tapes and live albums) and since he has released 11 studio albums (not counting live and bootleg releases).

I have no question that a GH4 would serve Dylan well by advertising this rich period. Off the top of my head, using roughly one per studio album and skipping Unplugged just as GH 3 did not include live material, a collection might look like this:

1) Good As I Been To You (Jim Jones is better but this one has the right thematic overtones and was also the title track)
2) Blood In My Eyes (video was fairly popular at the time)
3) Love Sick (Victoria secret/single)
4) Make You Feel My Love (sorry, but it has to included on a Greatest Hits album)
5) Million Miles (this got a lot of radio play and I believe was released as a single)
6) Things Have Changed (for a million obvious reasons)
7) Mississippi
8) High Water
9) Thunder on the Mountain
10) When the Deal Goes Down (featured in a video release)
11) I Feel A Change Coming On (lead "single")
12) Must Be Santa (video release)
13) Duquesne Whistle (video release)
14) Lucky Old Sun (obvious choice)
15) Here's That Rainy Day (I just like it)

BUT

when you look at the editorial choices made for GH3, you'll see a few longer, wordier (more "Dylanesque") songs that were not hits, as well as the exclusion of some minor singles and very minor hits, so I think we have some leeway, and I would make the following changes, but shuffle the deck a bit...drumroll please...

Good As I Been To You
Love Sick
High Water
Things Have Changed
Make You Feel My Love
(not on my list of top favorites but there's no question Dylan would keep it. He doesn't seem as embarrassed by this hit as many of his fans. Maybe use an unreleased live version just for kicks)
Mississippi
Blood In My Eyes
'Cross the Green Mountain
Thunder on the Mountain
Here's That Rainy Day
Must Be Santa
This Dream of You
Duquesne Whistle
Nettie Moore
Lucky Old Sun

which I think would be a damn nice listen.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 19:35 GMT 

smoke wrote:
[i]1) Good As I Been To You (Jim Jones is better but this one has the right thematic overtones and was also the title track)

What???

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 20:06 GMT 

Probably wouldn't make any GH4 release but Huck's Tune, quality-wise, belongs on any compilation of his best "modern-era" songs.

Here's a live one from Toyko from a few years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlY2_ePud0

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 20:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
smoke wrote:
[i]1) Good As I Been To You (Jim Jones is better but this one has the right thematic overtones and was also the title track)

What???

You don't like Jim Jones??? It's one of my favorites from those albums.