Making a Liar Out of Me - Masterpiece?
Lost Masterpiece 17%  17%  [ 22 ]
Very Good Out-take 61%  61%  [ 78 ]
Not All That 21%  21%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 127
PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 14:35 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

That's your own opinion you are vigorously asserting as a settled consensus. You're very good at using the royal 'we'. You must also have a flawless memory.

No, it is not my own opinion and I am not using the royal 'we'. I don't know why you are being so rude and aggressive, and I don't really care either. We - i.e. Dylan fans - all recognised 'Blind Willie McTell' as a classic when the original Vol I to III came out. Could anybody have possibly failed to recognise it as such? No need for a flawless memory: something that striking does not tax the memory. Maybe you weren't around at the time? Or maybe you weren't paying attention.

Directness is not rudeness nor aggression. Presuming to speak for others might be rude to some, but it doesn't bother me. Speech is just words and, with the exception of calling on others to actually carry out acts of aggression, can't be aggressive, in itself. Many people who nowadays assert speech of any kind to be 'aggressive' are generally those with an agenda to shut it up. Of course, I know you definitely not to be in that grouping, so I'm surprised at your accusation. There's a genuinely rude post just gone in before me, if you want to read a definition of it. However, if I've genuinely offended you, I didn't intend to, but apologise for any offense caused.

I was around long before the time of Blind Willie McTell's release, but maybe too long. Maybe my memory can no longer match yours. So, I'll grant you that. However, there are other songs of Dylan that don't have the same unanimity of opinion-some might consider them to be classics, some not. Maybe, this is one of those?

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 16:01 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Directness is not rudeness nor aggression. Presuming to speak for others might be rude to some, but it doesn't bother me. Speech is just words and, with the exception of calling on others to actually carry out acts of aggression, can't be aggressive, in itself. Many people who nowadays assert speech of any kind to be 'aggressive' are generally those with an agenda to shut it up. Of course, I know you definitely not to be in that grouping, so I'm surprised at your accusation. There's a genuinely rude post just gone in before me, if you want to read a definition of it. However, if I've genuinely offended you, I didn't intend to, but apologise for any offense caused.

I was around long before the time of Blind Willie McTell's release, but maybe too long. Maybe my memory can no longer match yours. So, I'll grant you that. However, there are other songs of Dylan that don't have the same unanimity of opinion-some might consider them to be classics, some not. Maybe, this is one of those?

Well I don't agree that speech cannot contain aggression, but fair enough, there is no reason to fall out. And absolutely, 'Liar' may be a song that grows - on me, you, the consensus view. But I feel fairly confident that it will never become regarded as a 'lost masterpiece' and the hype around it is actually unhelpful, certainly it mitigates agains my warming to the song.

By the way, I am in my 50th year (aggghhhhh) and my memory is not perfect. But I can still recall the awe with which that initial, never-bettered Bootleg Series release was rightly greeted.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 16:43 GMT 
Mercury Member

Mickvet wrote:
Maybe we'll have a better idea in a year (or decade) or two.

When 'our' flawless memories will tell us we always said it was a pretty average song really - just like my flawless memory still tells me, decades later, that 'Saved' was a pretty dismal album.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

Well I don't agree that speech cannot contain aggression, but fair enough, there is no reason to fall out. And absolutely, 'Liar' may be a song that grows - on me, you, the consensus view. But I feel fairly confident that it will never become regarded as a 'lost masterpiece' and the hype around it is actually unhelpful, certainly it mitigates agains my warming to the song.

By the way, I am in my 50th year (aggghhhhh) and my memory is not perfect. But I can still recall the awe with which that initial, never-bettered Bootleg Series release was rightly greeted.

I can still remember that awe, and hope it can be repeated to some degree with this release. Remember, I have avoided listening to this song in order to hear it fresh when I receive the box-set from my postman. It is the lyrics I find impressive. There are those who disagree with the content of those lyrics, but regardless of that they are well put together. Therefore, I am a long way from a definitive personal judgement, at least until I hear the performance.

You are right to assert that speech can be aggressive and I did include a qualification about incitement to violence in my post. Thus, we have demonstrated that heat generates light!

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 03:27 GMT 

I voted "Not" - it's not good at all, it's mediocre at best in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 07:28 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:

I can still remember that awe, and hope it can be repeated to some degree with this release. Remember, I have avoided listening to this song in order to hear it fresh when I receive the box-set from my postman. It is the lyrics I find impressive. There are those who disagree with the content of those lyrics, but regardless of that they are well put together. Therefore, I am a long way from a definitive personal judgement, at least until I hear the performance.

You are right to assert that speech can be aggressive and I did include a qualification about incitement to violence in my post. Thus, we have demonstrated that heat generates light!

I'm the opposite: I have listened to the song numerous times, but I have yet to glance at the lyrics as I like to 'hear' a song first and let the lyrics come through to me that way. I only ever read the lyrics much later, if at all.

I listened to it again a few times yesterday. I am starting to find it wearying, particularly the chorus. Then I skip over to 'Let's Keep it Between Us' and it just sounds so much fresher, much more alive.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 02:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

I have a certain favorite version of Let's Keep It Between Us, and I hate every other one. I don't trust them. So what? This is a different song. It is, as I posted elsewhere, I think it is anyway...an internal dialog. Sometimes a damning one at that. As a divorced person and songwriter I find the last verse especially powerful. Surely we all feel damnedly guilty about the kids, and wonder if we did right? Surely we've all wondered if our creative lives are just so much childishness?

I have changed my vote to Lost Masterpiece. I reserve the right to change it back when sober.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 08:36 GMT 

I think it's a good song. I see it for what it is, an outtake not fully formed, not meant for official release. What it lacks in its present form is a bridge or two. That would have made it more dynamic. But it's good, maybe even very good.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 11:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm back to very good as well.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 13:41 GMT 

It has the same problems I have with a lot of his "I'm-holier-than-thou-and-you're-all-going-to-hell" hectoring during this period - I much prefer "Pressing On," "Every Grain of Sand" and a few others that are above all that nonsense. But I suppose it's a better written song than most, and performed as well as one could hope for a rehearsal.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 13:55 GMT 

No way this is "a masterpiece". Could have been a decent song with more work and perhaps another part or a decent chorus. Musically it is just a rewrite of the verse of Where Are You Tonight (a vamp of two chords), But Where Are You has another part which makes it more interesting. The lyrics sound a bit unfinished.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 14:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

I still think it's about himself, rather than hectoring someone else.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 23:32 GMT 

I've been listening to it a lot. Big fan, big fan. That mellow rhythm coupled with the 70s-style raw Bob vocal is gorgeous.
I would hazard a guess that it's great driving music.

Between this coming out and my discovery of Bob's version of Catskill Serenade, its been a good week for music over here.

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 03:00 GMT 

Why are people who have no belief in any kind of God so offended by those who do?

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 03:18 GMT 

Back up now where was this recording discovered and what are the known knowns anout it?

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 04:15 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Back up now where was this recording discovered and what are the known knowns anout it?

It was in the Columbia vaults all along together with the other SoL outtakes such as Angelina, Yonder Comes Sin, Caribbean Wind, Magic and others. Only this one did not leak unlike a number of other tunes. The take is from Oct 1980 from the Shot of Love preparation rehearsals. It was never played live and abandoned early on in the rehearsal process.

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 07:59 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
AndoDoug wrote:

It was in the Columbia vaults all along together with the other SoL outtakes such as Angelina, Yonder Comes Sin, Caribbean Wind, Magic and others. Only this one did not leak unlike a number of other tunes. The take is from Oct 1980 from the Shot of Love preparation rehearsals. It was never played live and abandoned early on in the rehearsal process.

It begs the question. Are there others that 'did not leak', and if so, how many?

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 10:52 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
It begs the question. Are there others that 'did not leak', and if so, how many?

A great deal; at least 250 tracks that we know of. A good number of outtakes are online.
How much of this list is 1. listenable and 2. in pristine audio condition is a question.
I should think quite a lot of it is in good condition. Info thanks to Olof Bjorner
Here is an incomplete (!!!) list.

1.Angelina
2.Angelina

Bob Dylan (vocal & piano), Steve Ripley (guitar), Danny Kortchmar (guitar), Carl Pickhardt (keyboards), Tim Drummond (bass), Jim Keltner (drums), Carolyn Dennis, Regina McCrary & Clydie King (backing vocals).

Notes
· Track 1 is not in circulation.
· Track 2 mixed 4 May 1981.
· Track 2 used as a Special Rider demo.
· Track 2 present on the first sequenced tape of Shot Of Love but later removed.

2nd Shot Of Love recording session. Produced by Jimmy Iovine.

1.Instrumental Jam
2.Unidentified Song
3.Jam
4.Unidentified Song
5.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
6.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
7.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
8.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
9.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
10.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
11.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
12.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
13.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
14.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
15.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar

Note. There is no recording in circulation from this session.

3rd Shot Of Love recording session. Produced by Jimmy Iovine.

1.Caribbean Wind
2.Caribbean Wind
3.Caribbean Wind
4.Caribbean Wind
5.Caribbean Wind
6.Caribbean Wind
7.Caribbean Wind
8.Caribbean Wind

Notes
1-5 are incomplete.
Only track 8 is circulating.
1–8 Caribbean Winds on recording sheets.
7 “w. electric guitar” on recording sheets.
8 “w. acoustic guitar” on recording sheets.
Stereo studio recordings.

Shot Of Love recording session # 4. Produced by Destiny Productions.

1.Straw Hat
2.Gonna Love You Anyway
3.Gonna Love You Anyway
4.Unidentified Song
5.I Wish It Would Rain
6.It's All Dangerous To Me
7.Instrumental
8.Need A Woman
9.Well Water
10.Instrumental
11.Instrumental
12.Instrumental
13.My Girl (It's Growing)
14.My Oriental House
15.Wild Mountain Thyme (trad.)
16.Borrowed Time
17.I Want You To Know I That Love You
18.I Want You To Know I That Love You
19.Rockin' Boat
20.I Wish It Would Rain
21.Cold Cold Heart
22.Need A Woman
23.In The Summertime
24.I Want You To Know I That Love You
25.I Want You To Know I That Love You
26.I Want You To Know I That Love You
27.Instrumental
28.Is It Worth It?
29.Is It Worth It?
30.Is It Worth It?
31.Is It Worth It?
32.Is It Worth It?
33.You Changed My Life
34.Almost Persuaded
35.Almost Persuaded
36.Almost Persuaded
37.Need A Woman
38.I Wish It Would Rain
39.I Wish It Would Rain
40.I Wish It Would Rain

Notes.
· 1, 2, 7–13, 17, 18, 20, 25–36 are incomplete.
· 4, 13, 14 are instrumentals.
· Song 14 also called My Oriental Home.
· Song 2 also called Gonna Love Her Anyway.
· 6, 9 copied to copyright reel 12-3-84.
· 14, 24 copied to copyright reel 12-3-84.
· 3, 6, 9, 14, 16, 19, 24, 37 submitted to the Copyright Office as "Special Rider Music Compilation #2 - 1985", registered 29 January 1985.
· Only tracks 6, 9, 14, 24 are circulating.
· The dating of this material has been highly uncertain as can be seen from this summary:

1.Unidentified Song
2.Unidentified Song
3.Unidentified Song
4.Unidentified Song
5.Unidentified Song
6.Unidentified Song
7.Unidentified Song
8.Unidentified Song
9.Unidentified Song
10.Unidentified Song
11.Unidentified Song
12.Unidentified Song
13.Unidentified Song
14.Unidentified Song
15.Unidentified Song
16.Instrumental
17.Instrumental
18.Movin'
19.Is It Worth It?
20.Is It Worth It?
21.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
22.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
23.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
24.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
25.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
26.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
27.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
28.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
29.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
30.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
31.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
32.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
33.Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
34.Singing This Song For You
35.Singing This Song For You
36.Is It Worth It?
37.Singing This Song For You
38.Singing This Song For You
39.Singing This Song For You
40.You Changed My Life
41.Unidentified Song
42.Reach Out
43.Fur Slippers
44.Let It Be Me (Delanoé/Becaud/Curtis)
45.Let It Be Me (Delanoé/Becaud/Curtis)
46.Let It Be Me (Delanoé/Becaud/Curtis)
47.Let It Be Me (Delanoé/Becaud/Curtis)
48.Is It Worth It?
49.Instrumental
50.Ah Ah Ah
51.Ah Ah Ah

Notes
· 1–5, 7–14, 15–17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25–27, 29, 34, 37, 44, 46, 49 are incomplete.
· 1–6 and 7–15 are probably two different tunes.
· 33, 48, 50 copied to copyright reel 11-29-84 and submitted to the Copyright Office as "Special Rider Music Compilation #2 - 1985", registered 29 January 1985.
· 33, 48, 50 are the only tracks in circulation.
· The dating of this material has been highly uncertain as can be seen from this summary

Shot Of Love recording session # 6.

1.Child To Me
2.Wind Blowin' On The Water
3.All The Way Down
4.More To This Than Meets The Eye
5.Straw Hat
6.Instrumental Calypso
7.Walking On Eggs
8.All The Way Down

Notes
Detailed recording sheets from this session are not available.
2, 3 and/or 8 mixed 5 May 1981.
31 March 1981
Submitted to the Copyright Office as "Special Rider Music Compilation #2 - 1985", registered 29 January 1985.
All tracks are in circulation.
The dating of this material has been highly uncertain as can be seen from this summary:

Shot Of Love recording session # 7. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Magic
2.Trouble
3.Trouble
4.Trouble
5.Trouble
6.Trouble
7.Bolero
8.Bolero
9.Don't Ever Take Yourself Away
10.Don't Ever Take Yourself Away
11.You Changed My Life
12.You Changed My Life
13.You Changed My Life
14.Be Careful
15.Be Careful
16.You Changed My Life
17.You Changed My Life
18.You Changed My Life
19.You Changed My Life
20.You Changed My Life
21.You Changed My Life
22.You Changed My Life
23.You Changed My Life
24.Heart Of Mine
25.Shot Of Love
26.Mystery Train (Sam Phillips - Herman Parker)
27.Half As Much (Hank Williams)
28.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
29.Dead Man, Dead Man

Notes
The song listing is probably incomplete.
1 mixed 5 May 1981.
1 Special Rider Music Compilation #2
26 mixed 19 May 1981.
1 present on the first sequenced tape of Shot Of Love but later removed.
24–29 suggested by Clinton Heylin in The Recording Sessions.
5, 7, 24 instrumentals.
8 incomplete.s
Only tracks 1, 10, 23, 25 and 26 are in circulation.

Shot Of Love recording session # 8. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Magic
2.Magic

Notes
· The song listing is incomplete.
· No tracks are in circulation.

Shot Of Love recording session # 9. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Need A Woman
2.Need A Woman
3.Need A Woman
4.Need A Woman
5.Dead Man, Dead Man
6.Dead Man, Dead Man
7.Dead Man, Dead Man
8-11: In The Summertime
19.Watered-Down Love

Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar), Mike Campbell (guitar), William Smith (keyboards), Benmont Tench (keyboards),

Notes
mixed 5 May 1981.
Only track 4 is in circulation.
4 used as a Special Rider demo.

Shot Of Love recording session # 10. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Watered-Down Love
2.Watered-Down Love
3.Watered-Down Love
4.Watered-Down Love
5.Heart Of Mine
6.Dead Man, Dead Man
7.Dead Man, Dead Man
8.Blue T/L
9.Dead Man, Dead Man
10.Property Of Jesus
11.Heart Of Mine
12.Heart Of Mine
13.Heart Of Mine

Notes
· 2, 6, 7, 11 incomplete.
· No tracks are in circulation.

Shot Of Love recording session # 11. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Every Grain Of Sand
2.Heart Of Mine
3.Dead Man, Dead Man
4.Dead Man, Dead Man
5.The Girl From Louisville
6.Lenny Bruce
7.Lenny Bruce
8.The Ballad Of Ira Hayes (Peter La Farge)
9.Property Of Jesus
10.The King Is On The Throne
11.Fur Slippers

Notes
1, 3, 4, 6–8 incomplete.
Only track 2 is in circulation.

Shot Of Love recording session # 12. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Dead Man, Dead Man
2.Dead Man, Dead Man
3.Dead Man, Dead Man
4.Lenny Bruce
5.Instrumental
6.Dead Man, Dead Man
7.Dead Man, Dead Man
8.Dead Man, Dead Man
9.Instrumental
10.Caribbean Wind

Notes
· 1, 3, 4, 6–8 incomplete.
· 10 mixed
· There are no unreleased tracks in circulation from this session

Shot Of Love recording session # 13. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.It's All Dangerous To Me
2.My Oriental House
3.Caribbean Wind
4.Ah Ah Ah
5.Let It Be Me (Delanoé/Becaud/Curtis)
6.Dead Man, Dead Man
7.Don't Let Her Know
8.Watered-Down Love
9.Property Of Jesus

Notes
8 mixed 5, 18, 26, 29, 31 May 1981.
One verse omitted on the released version of track 8.
8 is complete on The Genuine Bootleg Series Vol. 3.
Only the released tracks plus the extra verse of 8 are in circulation from this session.
9 mixed 4, 5, 6, 18 May 1981.
9 overdubbed 31 May 1981 with Andrew Gold on guitar.

Shot Of Love recording session # 14. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Shot Of Love
2.Every Grain Of Sand
3.The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar

Notes
1 mixed 7, 5, 24, 30, 31 May 1981.
1 available as rough-mix.
1 overdubbed 31 May 1981 with Andrew Gold on guitar, 15 and 16 June 1981 with Jim Keltner on drums and Tim Drummond on bass.
2 mixed 4, 5, 6, 18 May 1981.
2 overdubbed 31 May 1981 with Andrew Gold on guitar.
3 mixed 7 June 1981.
3 available as rough-mix with no fade out.

Shot Of Love recording session # 15. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Dead Man, Dead Man
2.Lenny Bruce
3.Trouble
4.In The Summertime

Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar), Fred Tackett (guitar), Steve Douglas (saxophone), Benmont Tench (keyboards), Stephen Eric Hague (keyboards), Tim Drummond (bass), Jim Keltner (drums).

Notes
· 1, 3 mixed 4, 6, 18 May 1981.
· 1 overdubbed 15 June 1981 with Jim Keltner on drums and Tim Drummond on bass.
· 2 mixed 4, 5, 6, 18, 29 May 1981.
· 2 overdubbed 31 May 1981 with Andrew Gold on guitar.
· 4 mixed 5, 6, 18, 31 May 1981.

Clover Recorders
Los Angeles, California
15 May 1981

Shot Of Love recording session # 16. Produced by Chuck Plotkin and Bob Dylan.

1.Minute By Minute (Sam & Dave)
2.Heart Of Mine
3.Instrumental
4.Instrumental
5.Heart Of Mine
6.Heart Of Mine
7.Glory Of Love
8.Heart Of Mine
9.Heart Of Mine
10.Heart Of Mine
11.Heart Of Mine
12.Watered-Down Love
13.Watered-Down Love
14.Watered-Down Love
15.In A Battle
16.Watered-Down Love
17.Watered-Down Love
18.Watered-Down Love
19.Watered-Down Love
20.Watered-Down Love
21.Watered-Down Love
22.Mystery Train (Sam Phillips - Herman Parker)

Notes
· 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 18, 19, 24, 26, 28, 31 mixed May and 2, 7 June 1981.
· 11 overdubbed 15 and 16 June 1981 with Jim Keltner on drums and Tim Drummond on bass.
· 11 is the only track in circulation.

Probably Late Spring 1981

Let Me See

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 11:34 GMT 

Thanks, gerard. There're quite a few interesting titles in that list that I know nothing of.

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 11:46 GMT 

It's not a masterpiece. In fact one of the disappointments of the Gospel Set (I am still grateful for it though) is the non-inclusion of Let's Keep It Between Us. A great song.

Also, the video of Bob performing Blowin' in the Wind from 81 that's surfaced from the BD archives is one of the most compelling pieces of Dylan footage I've seen in years.

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 12:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's a masterpiece
Thank you Mr. Bob Dylan!

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,
and comes down from the Father of lights,
with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
- James 1:17

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 14:48 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
Why are people who have no belief in any kind of God so offended by those who do?

Because they are afraid of seeing their palace of certainties crumble down.

I've noticed it, too.
Integralists and atheists don't accept debate.

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 14:57 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
[
A great deal; at least 250 tracks that we know of. A good number of outtakes are online.
How much of this list is 1. listenable and 2. in pristine audio condition is a question.
I should think quite a lot of it is in good condition. Info thanks to Olof Bjorner
Here is an incomplete (!!!) list.

...(CUT)...

Ok.
I want this here and now.

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 15:16 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
That is not a serous question

PostPosted: Tue October 17th, 2017, 15:49 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
Huck27 wrote:

Because they are afraid of seeing their palace of certainties crumble down.

I've noticed it, too.
Integralists and atheists don't accept debate.

Um, you shouldn't be discussing religion here if politics is not allowed.