Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 23rd, 2018, 04:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri June 18th, 2010, 20:58 GMT 

Lone Pilgrim wrote:
I feel strongly about this one. It is an absolutely terrific song, and a significantly better than the tune that replaced it IMHO. The middle-eight and final verse are so powerfully beautiful...its omission was perhaps the first sign of Dylan's pathology of leaving off top-drawer material from his albums, a pathology that totally derailed his recording career in the early 80s. Yes, there is a certain hesitancy in the playing at the start of of the Bootleg Series cut, but hardly enough to justify its extircation from the album (as though Bob was always some muso perfectionist in any case!). It should never have been deleted and is one of Dylan's most sadly underrated songs as a result.

I agree absolutely. It's a wonderful song and the middle section sends chills down my spine. And it's one of the very rare references to his childhood. Unfortunately, the end of the recording is too abrupt and corny, otherwise I could accept it as it stands on any album you like.

PostPosted: Mon July 15th, 2013, 11:21 GMT 

Does anyone have MP3's of the Live 74 Performances of this wonderful song?

Never heard any of the Live Performances.

PostPosted: Mon July 15th, 2013, 21:36 GMT 

Here ya go. The third time he did it live:

January 6 1974
Philadelphia PA
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s01fmt

PostPosted: Tue July 16th, 2013, 04:11 GMT 

marker wrote:
Here ya go. The third time he did it live:

January 6 1974
Philadelphia PA
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s01fmt

Thank You Very Much :D

PostPosted: Fri January 24th, 2014, 08:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Which live version would you say has the best sound quality and performance? I'm looking for a nice balance, or perhaps all of them.

PostPosted: Sat January 25th, 2014, 16:01 GMT 

Great, great song. Might have been the best song on the album, if included...well, best song after "Dirge".

PostPosted: Sat January 25th, 2014, 18:42 GMT 
Mercury Member

ages ago someone (beny boy?) kinldy did me a download of all the 74 performances, there were 4 or 5, the most heard one is frankly the best... don't like the studio version nearly as much, it sounds unfinished.

PostPosted: Sun December 20th, 2015, 11:58 GMT 

All the links seems defunct, it would do my christmas if someone had one or more of the live performances of this precious tune.

I find a lot of consolation in the last verse during the stressful times.

PostPosted: Sun December 20th, 2015, 20:28 GMT 

Here ya go.
A great performance from a decent recording.
The audience is eerily subdued...especially for Philly:)

January 6 1974
Philadelphia PA
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9i1via4 ... pt_You.mp3

PostPosted: Mon December 21st, 2015, 01:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thank you Marker! For both of those!

PostPosted: Sat December 26th, 2015, 22:08 GMT 

One of my favorite outtakes also.

All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track
Quote:
FOR DYLANOLOGISTS
Dylan ended this song singing, “I’m still in love with you.” However, this line is absent from the 1973 copyright text. Why? Mystery!

“Nobody ’Cept You” is another evocation of Bob Dylan’s past. The song is once again about his childhood in Minnesota, where he “used to play in the cemetery / Dance and sing and run.” The lyrics include an exaltation of the sacred: “There’s a hymn I used to hear / In the churches all the time,” which “Make[s] me feel so good inside / So peaceful, so sublime.” For whom does he show his devotion? For God? For Sara? For both? Certainly, this song, written as a confession, shows that Dylan will continue his journey, guided by Love with a capital L.
“Nobody ’Cept You” is the second of the three songs demoed in June 1973. During the sessions for Planet Waves in November 1973, it seems that the song was recorded in two sessions: on or around November 2, the group performed one take with Richard Manuel playing drums, and on or around November 5 another attempt with Levon Helm. The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3: Rare & Unreleased, 1961–1991 most likely includes the November 2 recording. The song was originally planned for inclusion on Planet Waves, then removed at the last minute from the track listing, Dylan preferring his new composition “Wedding Song.” This is a shame, as “Nobody ’Cept You” is a very good song, with excellent lyrics and a melody that curiously has some reggae color. Robertson’s guitar, using a wah-wah pedal, and Hudson’s organ playing are enough to kick the song into overdrive. With some additional attempts, “Nobody ’Cept You” could have easily found its place on Planet Waves.

Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973 (Clinton Heylin)
Quote:
‘Nobody ’Cept You’ is the second song in a trilogy of tunes that steered Dylan towards Planet Waves, the third one being ‘Something There Is About You.’ All three were written from the vantage point of someone trying to reconcile past and present through love for an unspecified muse. Connecting back to ‘I Don’t Want to Do It’ (and maybe even ‘I’m Not There (1956)’), they lead on to the quasi-mystical breakthrough he shall achieve with Blood on the Tracks, where past and present are allowed to constantly interchange.
On ‘Nobody ’Cept You,’ he seems to feel it is only ‘you’ who shares this connection to the past, specifically to a time when he would ‘play in the cemetery / Dance and sing and run when I was a child.’ He also connects the song to ones from his midsixties heyday, equating his feelings for her with a religious yearning inspired by ‘a hymn I used to hear / In the churches all the time / Make me feel so good inside / So peaceful, so sublime.’ In many ways, the song closes the book on songs of simple devotion from an amnesiac, and opens a new one in which desire has to be paid for with one’s blood.
Which makes ‘Nobody ’Cept You’ the most personal of the three interconnected songs, and may explain why it was omitted from Planet Waves, though the song was recorded twice at the sessions – once with Manuel on drums, the other with Helm. But it would not explain why he ripped through the song at breakneck speed at the first half-a-dozen performances in January 1974, with just an acoustic guitar to guide him through. Or why at song’s end he added the line, ‘I’m still in love with you’ – absent from the copyrighted version.
The song had by then been superseded by ‘Wedding Song,’ another protestation of constancy, but one couched in terms bound by this newer, more paradoxical framework, making it a likely replacement on the album itself. On a single night in January (the ninth, in Toronto), Dylan brought both elements together for the first and last time. After which it was left to ‘Wedding Song’ to reclaim the present, ‘now that the past is gone.’

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 15:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

I heard the Waterboys cover of this again this morning and fell back in love with this song.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 09:51 GMT 

A song that seemed to pass me by, it was recommended to me on spotify being played by a band called "16 horsepower" and i never linked it to Bob for some-one reason. Bob's version on the bootleg series 1-3 is decent but the live version which is on yt from 1974 takes some beating imo.

There’s nothing ’round here I believe in
’Cept you, yeah you
And there’s nothing to me that’s sacred
’Cept you, yeah you

You’re the one that reaches me
You’re the one that I admire
Every time we meet together

My soul feels like it’s on fire
Nothing matters to me
And there’s nothing I desire
’Cept you, yeah you

Nothing ’round here I care to try for