Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:59 GMT

All times are UTC

Does Dylan deserve the Nobel Prize in Literature?
Yes 95%  95%  [ 141 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 149
PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:15 GMT 

I say yes. He did more to the literary world than most of the Nobel winners in the last twenty years or so.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes, a hundred times!

If any doubts Dylan's literary credibility, this is a pretty good article to read - detailing how engrained Dylan's work is with the rest of the classical Western canon. http://journal.oraltradition.org/files/ ... Thomas.pdf

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:23 GMT 

One of the most iconic and influential songsmiths of the 20th century, so no argument from me.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:25 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
It's Allright Ma alone is worth the trophy. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:26 GMT 

meuse2208 wrote:

That´s right.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

meuse2208 wrote:

For contributions to global English spellling patently.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:41 GMT 

Who am I too judge if he deserved it? If I was worthy to judge, I'd have a prestigious literature award named after me, or be on a high-brow literature award selection panel or might even be a teacher of literature. The most important thing is the panel that selects the Nobel prize felt he deserved it. That's all I care about.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:42 GMT 

Herr Professor says no, too many clunkers, too much money, and he dares disdain the academy! This is an outrage!

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 18:45 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
leavinclaud wrote:
meuse2208 wrote:

Erbsenzähler!
ALRIGHT, herrgottnochmal!

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 19:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

meuse2208 wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:
[quote="meuse2208"]It's Allright Ma alone is worth the trophy. :wink:

Erbsenzähler!
ALRIGHT, herrgottnochmal![/quote]
It's OK. Anyone can make a mistake. Bob doesn't know what 'alright' even means

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 19:07 GMT 

Absolutely yes. Great day.
It's been a long time coming.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 19:09 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
It's OK. Anyone can make a mistake. Bob doesn't know what 'alright' even means

:lol:
It's also funny that the other song is called "Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right".

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 19:35 GMT 

I think the man himself might feel this way. Just substitute the word Music, for physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUcmKDaklY

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 21:16 GMT 

I don't have enough knowledge of the global literature to say whether someone deserves that price. But, I believe there's a feeling that literature = novel , and that's not true. There's many genres in literature and songs definitely are one. And if they wanted to give the prize to any songwriter, it will have no sense to do it not having given it to Bob Dylan, who changed the concept of song lyrics leading many people to try to write lyrics in a "literary style". So, giving him the prize before he dies is a way to leave the door open to give it to any songwriter in the future.

So, if it was to give it to a songwriter, of course yes, he deserved it.

I read in Twitter someone saying he doesn't, but I asked them what do they think about the 5 latest prize winners. They didn't answer anything. Will it be that they don't know them?

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 21:28 GMT 

A poll like this is good, especially as some people post today with a slightly smarmy attitude saying 'we all really know between us that Bob's work does not actually merit a Nobel Lit.' Hang on, we by and large feel that he most definitely does deserve it.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 21:36 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
I don't have enough knowledge of the global literature to say whether someone deserves that price. But, I believe there's a feeling that literature = novel , and that's not true. There's many genres in literature and songs definitely are one. And if they wanted to give the prize to any songwriter, it will have no sense to do it not having given it to Bob Dylan, who changed the concept of song lyrics leading many people to try to write lyrics in a "literary style". So, giving him the prize before he dies is a way to leave the door open to give it to any songwriter in the future.

So, if it was to give it to a songwriter, of course yes, he deserved it.

I read in Twitter someone saying he doesn't, but I asked them what do they think about the 5 latest prize winners. They didn't answer anything. Will it be that they don't know them?

How Dylan responds to this award means almost as much as the award and don't tell me he's not thinking of that.

I would hope personally that he says little if anything until ceremony. If he does say something, he might be almost non-accepting or embarrassed about it or use it as a way to recognise other songwriters. Anything other than those scenarios, could be taken the wrong way like his bitter and careless musicares speech, which for a good portion wasn't one of Dylan's finnest hours IMHO. I hope he has learnt from that.

Last edited by IO Farm on Thu October 13th, 2016, 21:39 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 21:36 GMT 

Yes!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 23:14 GMT 

The Nobel committee awarded him the prize and I'm 100% certain that committee is more informed about literature than 100% of the few people complaining about Dylan being selected for the prize.

PostPosted: Thu October 13th, 2016, 23:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hell Yes!!!

PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 00:16 GMT 

patford wrote:
The Nobel committee awarded him the prize and I'm 100% certain that committee is more informed about literature than 100% of the few people complaining about Dylan being selected for the prize.

Yes!

PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 00:18 GMT 

ABSOLUTELY... the answer to this on going question today, is certainly NOT blowing in the wind.
He should have received it years ago IMHO. I'm actually a bit miffed with all the BS.. and dubious reaction.
I celebrate today's announcement, and I was trying to get the best copy on Youtube of the complete full announcement earlier, and... yikes!.. ? ?

There are some people who are full blown psychotic bizarro's. One particular nut made a 45 minute long video about how Dylan is part of a global agenda.. mentioning the 60 minutes statement, freemasonry, and illuminati crap... I mean I watched about half of it, what sicko's ... the thing that got me the most is how many followers this wack job has, and the things they were all saying. Whew! truly amazing. Scary in fact.

I'm a believer myself, and I feel Bob is as well. I never had a question when he loosened up his beliefs a bit.
It happens to us, we live in the world for sure, it's trying to not be part of the world system that is the battle. I thought about making a statement on this "Global Agenda" nuts youtube site (it's around page four- under Bob Dylan Nobel Prize)... but they are so way out of line. I do believe some of that crap is happening... but nothing like these creeps. Certainly not about Dylan.
Whether he is a Christian or a Jew... he is an absolute believer. That has never changed, and he continues to say things to that effect, and sing songs of that period when he choses. I don't bother with the argument anymore..

That said... if you care to see how the announcement has effected a number of people check out Youtube:
in search area Bob Dylan Nobel Prize. The conspiracy nut is around the 4th page user name in above paragraph.

Cheers Bob!! See you in Huntsville, and Birmingham.

PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 00:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

Strictly for his books, no. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 01:02 GMT 

Of course he deserves it, because literature is one of his crafts, jobs, talents. Per definitionem alone: "Literature, in its broadest sense, is any single body of written works. More restrictively, it is writing considered as an art form, or any single writing deemed to have artistic or intellectual value, often due to deploying language in ways that differ from ordinary usage. Its Latin root literatura/litteratura (derived itself from littera: letter or handwriting) was used to refer to all written accounts, though contemporary definitions extend the term to include texts that are spoken or sung..." So, for those who always love to doubt or critizize or ignore facts - sorry, you are wrong for sure this time. You still might see another candidate 'worthy' for the Nobel Prize. But Mr. Dylan was a fully 'worthy' candidate in any way, too. And in my point of view a winner, who deserves it a lot. For me as a fan, an admirer of his art and oeuvre this is really great news. A moment of joy. And an appreciation and maybe motivation for many other singer/songwriters, too. Confounding expectations again, breaking barriers (in human heads) again by doing what and how you do it. The first of your art to be rewarded that way in a tradition of more than over 120 years. Congratulations Mr. Dylan! And please come back to Europe soon...

PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 01:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

No question!

PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 01:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Strictly for his musical lyrics, YES. I'm very happy.