Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 19:53 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu October 5th, 2017, 21:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu August 17th, 2017, 20:00 GMT
Posts: 755
Location: Manchester England
Hi I searched the discussion thread to see if there was a user/s review
on this book. I ordered The Dylanologists: Adventures in the Land of Bob
last week and it arrived a few days ago.
With work and life getting in the way i haven't had time to pick it up yet.
I was wondering if anyone here has recently read it and what i can expect
from this fairly short hard cover book?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 14:18 GMT 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 29th, 2006, 20:42 GMT
Posts: 1302
Location: Merrimack, NH
"Recently," no. I read it when it was released. I'd give it about a 3 out of 10 and don't anticipate ever re-reading it. Your liking of the book is probably going to depend much on how interested you are in Dylan obsessives, including AJ Weberman. Kinney's "The Big One" is a much better (and more interesting) read if you're into books about obsessives, imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 17:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 30th, 2009, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 1342
Location: Madly Across the Sun
Shalom and Boker Tov...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 20:15 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu August 17th, 2017, 20:00 GMT
Posts: 755
Location: Manchester England
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
"Recently," no. I read it when it was released. I'd give it about a 3 out of 10 and don't anticipate ever re-reading it. Your liking of the book is probably going to depend much on how interested you are in Dylan obsessives, including AJ Weberman. Kinney's "The Big One" is a much better (and more interesting) read if you're into books about obsessives, imo.


Thanks Fred, very succinctly put. Ok i think i get where the books going.
Webberman i have zero interest in him, having tried reasoning with him
recently on youtube i realised he was deliciously insane, funny at times,
but mostly outright disturbing.
I feel sorry for Dylan and anyone else having to deal with lunatics like that.
I'll check out that book you mentioned,
i'll give this one a read through but from what you say it'll be the only
time i do read it. Thanks again Fred.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 16:01 GMT 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 29th, 2006, 20:42 GMT
Posts: 1302
Location: Merrimack, NH
LibraChild1980 wrote:
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
"Recently," no. I read it when it was released. I'd give it about a 3 out of 10 and don't anticipate ever re-reading it. Your liking of the book is probably going to depend much on how interested you are in Dylan obsessives, including AJ Weberman. Kinney's "The Big One" is a much better (and more interesting) read if you're into books about obsessives, imo.


Thanks Fred, very succinctly put. Ok i think i get where the books going.
Webberman i have zero interest in him, having tried reasoning with him
recently on youtube i realised he was deliciously insane, funny at times,
but mostly outright disturbing.
I feel sorry for Dylan and anyone else having to deal with lunatics like that.
I'll check out that book you mentioned,
i'll give this one a read through but from what you say it'll be the only
time i do read it. Thanks again Fred.


My pleasure. Fwiw, I don't want to leave the impression that the book is totally worthless. There's some interesting stories, one memorable one on a fan who worked their way through their obsession with Dylan. My friend/colleague Scott Warmuth is also featured in one chapter, and I wouldn't term Scott's work on Dylan "obsessive." Frustrating perhaps, but not obsessive. :-). I share your opinion of Weberman, and unfortunately the book's focus on him -- as well as titling it with "Dylanologist" -- taints the rest of the profiles. It's as if Mark Chapman was used as the template to portray Lennon fans. I had some brief correspondence with Kinney, and encouraged him to title the book, "Wussies & Pussies," which I thought would be more accurate, but his publisher picked the "Dylanologist" title.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 17:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 3rd, 2006, 15:39 GMT
Posts: 361
Location: Up the ladder to the roof
I read it when it came out and would maybe give it a 6 out of 10. Entertaining enough, but too focused on fringe personalities as I recall. Would have enjoyed mixing that with more about the superfan community in general - the more "normal" people who are still seeing multiple concerts a year. For instance, seemed like a major omission to not have more about the Dylan Pool and its ilk (including ER). The message board world has been crucial to the Dylan superfan community for over a decade and it's barely mentioned.

I guess a more balanced take maybe that wouldn't sell as well as "look at these kooks," but would have felt truer I think.

Let me also plug Marcel's book Confessions of a Dylanomaniac, which is all about the Pool and his travels meeting people. Nice to read a book about superfans by a superfan. https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Dyla ... 141208332X


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 20:46 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu August 17th, 2017, 20:00 GMT
Posts: 755
Location: Manchester England
Ive got a good idea for a book on Dylan.
And the company im with are branching into publishing.
Andrew Muir's book on the NET is very good, its great in terms
of reading one mans journey through the 'NET'.
Personally i'd like to construct a book that was more a reference
based book with reviews from fans on select available bootlegs
from 88 to now, and also have it include facts and information
that might help someone navigate their way through the last
near 30 years of continual touring, i see that each new generation
has a slew of new fans and everybody's gotta start somewhere.
But to be involved in a book like that i wouldn't want it dealing
with Dylan's personal life, i have no interest in who he has slept
with or what boxers he rates but i am ultra interested in anything
media related he does, but thePR it takes to
successfully distribute books these days, it might be a tough sell
to get it into wide scale stores, given that i guess the 'NET' for
want of a better term is somewhat fringe.
A lotta friends i have that are aware of Dylan know the greatest
hits, but wouldn't have a clue about his last 30 years on the
road or the wondrous journey you can go along with him
via the bootleg shows. That's the kind of book i'd like to
get working on. It'd be unofficial, but i do think that if written
in the right way, there's a niche and growing audience for it.
(i know of other books that too cover the NET in part or whole,
but ive not yet encountered one that's structured in the way
i'd have it be)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 22:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 25th, 2009, 02:38 GMT
Posts: 259
Location: Champlin, MN
I've read it a couple times and enjoyed it, a lot of interesting people in that book.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 22:49 GMT 

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 08:17 GMT
Posts: 2902
LibraChild1980 wrote:
Ive got a good idea for a book on Dylan.
And the company im with are branching into publishing.
Andrew Muir's book on the NET is very good, its great in terms
of reading one mans journey through the 'NET'.
Personally i'd like to construct a book that was more a reference
based book with reviews from fans on select available bootlegs
from 88 to now, and also have it include facts and information
that might help someone navigate their way through the last
near 30 years of continual touring, i see that each new generation
has a slew of new fans and everybody's gotta start somewhere.
But to be involved in a book like that i wouldn't want it dealing
with Dylan's personal life, i have no interest in who he has slept
with or what boxers he rates but i am ultra interested in anything
media related he does, but thePR it takes to
successfully distribute books these days, it might be a tough sell
to get it into wide scale stores, given that i guess the 'NET' for
want of a better term is somewhat fringe.
A lotta friends i have that are aware of Dylan know the greatest
hits, but wouldn't have a clue about his last 30 years on the
road or the wondrous journey you can go along with him
via the bootleg shows. That's the kind of book i'd like to
get working on. It'd be unofficial, but i do think that if written
in the right way, there's a niche and growing audience for it.
(i know of other books that too cover the NET in part or whole,
but ive not yet encountered one that's structured in the way
i'd have it be)


That sounds fantastic. Please do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 23:46 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 403
I finished it a couple of weeks ago. It's worth a read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 02:20 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 29th, 2015, 23:08 GMT
Posts: 581
I quite enjoyed it. Yes, it focuses on people on the fringes, but aren't we all on the fringe in one way or another? I don't know anyone that loves Empire Burlesque as much as I do... maybe I shoulda been in the book!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], charlesdarwin, gibsona07, halledylan


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group