Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 10:33 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 16:00 GMT 

So Behind the Shades Revisited was released in 2003, have any major biographies emerged or been revised that cover from 2003 to a little closer to present day? I'm looking for one that covers the Masked and Anonymous production in particular. Any suggestions for biographical materials that cover this period would be appreciated?

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 17:18 GMT 

Good question. I think there may be a gap in the ridiculously crowded market of Dylan books to more comprehensively examine this era. The majority of texts I've read fall into the trap of only treating the very recent past in cursory, post script fashion as they run out of either space, deadline time or both.

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 17:20 GMT 

Lee Marshall's "Never Ending Star" is good in this regard in that it's largely focussed with the NET. But even it was published in 2007. I'm working on a book myself that uses Masked and Anonymous as en entrypoint to both that rich period of Dylan's career and Dylan on film in general.

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 17:21 GMT 

This one looks potentially interesting but the price on Amazon was crazy.

http://www.upress.state.ms.us/books/2073

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 17:24 GMT 

Denny wrote:
Lee Marshall's "Never Ending Star" is good in this regard in that it's largely focussed with the NET. But even it was published in 2007. I'm working on a book myself that uses Masked and Anonymous as en entrypoint to both that rich period of Dylan's career and Dylan on film in general.

Good luck with the book but if M&A is your entry point, does that mean you're skipping L&T and the wonderful live year that was 2000, not to mention the Fall 01 tour immediately post 9/11? Would seem a shame to not pay attention to those rich pickings...

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 18:40 GMT 

Masked isn't the linear entry point. I'll devote a long chapter to the band from that era, other chapters seek to place Dylan in his historical context at the time of Masked, so I plan to address that entire period. A couple influences on me are Light Come Shining and Like a Complete Unknown.

And yeah that book is insanely expensive, even on Kindle. I may ask my local library to order it. 'Let [TPL[ pay the bill.'

And I just noticed a couple Dylan bios like Down the Tracks and one other got revisions in 2011 so I'm checking them out to see if there's any good post-millenium content.

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 18:54 GMT 

Good stuff- the late Ian Bell's book (can't recall the title offhand) goes up to Tempest and isn't bad but I've been crying out for a book that covers all the areas you're talking about in forensic detail if possible.

You can count on me to purchase your finished product.

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 20:47 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Good stuff- the late Ian Bell's book (can't recall the title offhand) goes up to Tempest and isn't bad but I've been crying out for a book that covers all the areas you're talking about in forensic detail if possible.

You can count on me to purchase your finished product.

Time Out of Mind: The Lives of Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 20:53 GMT 

That's the one, couldn't remember the title- ta.

Think Things Have Changed was recorded in 99 but am pretty certain it wasn't released until 2000 so not sure if that could qualify it for inclusion? It certainly feels like a 21st century track and is mighty important, both in terms of the songs intrinsic quality and as it really marks the start of the Jack Frost production era which has dominated his studio approach over the last 17 years.

PostPosted: Sun October 1st, 2017, 21:22 GMT 

I tend to think of 97 as the starting point of the 'post-millenial' period we're discussing. It's when TOOM came out, and when Larry joined the band. To go any further you have to start looking at the covers albums and even Oh Mercy, Bromberg, etc. And you can't go any later or you leave out TOOM.

PostPosted: Mon October 2nd, 2017, 07:52 GMT 

Spot on. Larry arriving was a big moment in the genesis of the band that would fuel a wonderful NET period. And it would be hard to ignore TOOM, even simply on the basis he's still playing tracks regularly from it 20 years later. Those songs have really stood the test of time, particularly in a live setting.

PostPosted: Tue October 3rd, 2017, 19:07 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
'One More Night' by Andrew Muir is excellent.

It focuses mostly on the NET, but I would thoroughly recommend it.

Mr M can be found around these parts from time to time too, he was kind enough to sign my copy. :o

PostPosted: Tue October 3rd, 2017, 19:17 GMT 

Cool, I'll check out One More Night. The Ian Bell book is good so far as well.