Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 21:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 10:45 GMT 

Has anyone had the experience of suddenly hearing a Bob song when least expected?

I was on holiday in the summer in Spain sitting in the hotel lobby. The usual muzak was playing, but out of nowhere 'I Feel a Change Coming On' came over the speakers. I was stunned, mostly because I didn't expect it but also because it just brought home to me how far away from the normal music you incidentally hear everyday it was. It's not a partcular favourite of mine, but for 5 minutes or so I sat with a mug little smile on my face.

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 11:03 GMT 

The Co-op supermarket chain regularly plays Dylan. It never seems quite right hearing You Ain't Going Nowhere when looking for the shelf where they keep the Marmite.

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 11:06 GMT 

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
The Co-op supermarket chain regularly plays Dylan. It never seems quite right hearing You Ain't Going Nowhere when looking for the shelf where they keep the Marmite.

I wish they played it at my local co-op (they don't), it might then excuse the extortionate prices and the poor quality of the food!

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 16:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was reading a book yesterday. The T.V. was on some show I've never seen before.
Near the end, "Make You Feel My Love" started playing. Not my favorite Dylan song,
but I was not expecting it, so it was nice.

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 16:51 GMT 

one sunny sunday, there was the summer party of a home for the elderly and i had to sit at the info desk for the foundation i work for (it´s about preserving historical documents). in fact i had to sit the whole afternoon in front of a huge poster saying "we are younger than you think. we are deserving more protection than you think. [...] we are more modern than you think [...] we are more interesting than you think" and had to listen to really boring and strange yodeling music they played for the senior citizens as well as some mainstream elevator music hits. not to mention that the atmosphere was really stiff and slightly awful and time passed very slowly... until suddenly they played "lay lady lay". it totally made my day :D

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 17:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

An experience from nearly two years ago...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45528&p=714269&hilit=christmas+in+the+heart#p714269

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 17:28 GMT 

Before a Roger Waters show I attended, they played a whole half an hour of Dylan. Great way to wait.

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 18:04 GMT 

I was listening (not very attentively) to a BBC radio news item on 'horizon scanning' (trying to forecast the future in the financial world) when a couple of lines from 'Beyond the Horizon' were slotted in. Very witty, I thought, someone's a fan here.

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 18:07 GMT 

Visited McDonalds in Madrid twice in 7 months. Both times heard dreamin' of you!

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 18:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_TjcY0EDWk

was playing at a cafe once

PostPosted: Sun October 30th, 2011, 18:26 GMT 

I was in a Kmart, and Sweetheart Like You came on. I was shocked....not only because it was Dylan, but also because of which song it was!

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 06:13 GMT 

night before last i was layin in bed clicking the remote at the tv and went to a movie i thought id watch. It wasnt on though, but in its place was *Im not There*.......... an immensely pleasant surprise to watch.
8) Cant say i liked the film tho. I found it too intent on focussing on the negative aspects of his career. The shit parts, the stupid journalist questions, the expectations of the fan base /media on his personal and professional life. For once, i would like to see a movie of him that celebrates all the good things hes done for us all. Besides, i hate bad impersonations. They are as bad as good impersonations. Jmho.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 09:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

NCIS rerun the other day had "Things Have Changed" was not expecting this :)

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 09:55 GMT 

A couple of years ago I was backpacking in India and was walking along the beach in Goa when I suddenly heard a Dylan song. I can't remember which, but if I remember correctly it was definitely a bootleg.

I pick up my head and find a hut called Dylan's Cafe - where they serve fresh coffee and play Dylan all the time. Even in India you can find Dylan fans :)

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 11:07 GMT 

If you look in the right places, you'll find that India has a considerable Dylan fan-base. Its funny how China got concerts but we didn't :(

@jimgray: Can you PM me exactly where this Dylan's Cafe is?

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 12:42 GMT 

It did happen to me lately. We went to new restaurant & they were playing "Just Like A Woman" in the background when we walked in. Nice surprise, since I rarely hear his music on radio or something.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 12:44 GMT 

The first thing that comes to mind is the season finale of The Walking Dead (a show I follow casually) from last year. The entire ending sequence was scored with "Tomorrow Is A Long Time." Much to my bemusement, it was actually quite effective.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 12:52 GMT 

nocoolname wrote:
If you look in the right places, you'll find that India has a considerable Dylan fan-base. Its funny how China got concerts but we didn't :(

@jimgray: Can you PM me exactly where this Dylan's Cafe is?

I think it was in Palolem.

Here is their website:
http://dylanscoffee.com/location.html

Very cool relaxed place.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 13:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm always surprised when I hear Dylan on the radio.. It's a rare thing. Most of the time, when it does occur, it's always "Like A Rolling Stone" but I'm still surprised..

Recently, though, I walked down the street and a car at a stop sign had "Hurricane" blasting.. It was some old guy who I always thought was strange. Knowing that he likes Dylan makes me wanna like him...

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 18:57 GMT 

delvis_crasho wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is the season finale of The Walking Dead (a show I follow casually) from last year. The entire ending sequence was scored with "Tomorrow Is A Long Time." Much to my bemusement, it was actually quite effective.

Just to add to this, Not Dark Yet was used very effectively on the closing credits on the first episode of the 2nd series of the much-missed HBO western swearathon Deadwood.

Whoever was chosing the music for this series definitely knew his/her stuff. Over the 3 series the end credits were a joy. It included a plethora of old blues (Bukka White, Lightnin Hopkins, Willie Dixon etc), country legends (Bob Willis, June Carter, Townes Van Zandt) and some more recent gems (Dylan, Lyle lovett, Springsteen). That was a great show, pity they never bothered to finish it off.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 19:06 GMT 

lmogan wrote:
delvis_crasho wrote:

Just to add to this, Not Dark Yet was used very effectively on the closing credits on the first episode of the 2nd series of the much-missed HBO western swearathon Deadwood.

Whoever was chosing the music for this series definitely knew his/her stuff. Over the 3 series the end credits were a joy. It included a plethora of old blues (Bukka White, Lightnin Hopkins, Willie Dixon etc), country legends (Bob Willis, June Carter, Townes Van Zandt) and some more recent gems (Dylan, Lyle lovett, Springsteen). That was a great show, pity they never bothered to finish it off.

Ah! I love Deadwood. And I'm so sad that it ended after 3 seasons. Such a great show. And the credit music was always a blast. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 20:17 GMT 

About 8 years ago, I was in Barcelona for the summer. I was sitting on the outdoor steps a church in a plaza when a couple of French girls came by, sat down close to me, and started a conversation amongst themselves. One was absolutely stunning, with a beauty from a different time. I ended up chit-chatting with them for a few minutes before they went on their way. As I got up to go off myself, I started humming "speaking to a French girl who says she knows me well..." and then Stuck Inside of Mobile was in my head.

I walked for about 10 minutes down into the Barrio Gotico, the old cobbled winding neighborhood of the city, and stopped into one of their little sandwich bars to get a beer. As I stepped inside, I couldn't believe my ears. What was coming from the bar's speakers was a Spanish pop-flamenco version of "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again." The whole thing tickled my spirit and warmed my heart. And made me believe that there was some kind of beautiful, whimsical, and ultimately, meaningful engagement between our pitiful meanderings in this world and the Universe at large.

Here's the Spanish pop-flamenco Mobile btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeyq1ETrkQ

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 20:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

I am usually surprised when I hear Dylan anywhere except my own home.

I walked into a Five Guys recently and Like A Rolling Stone was blasting. It was rainy and I just didn't expect it.

Other times include Like a Rolling Stone, Rainy Day Women, and Positively 4th Street at work, which I'm surprised the little easy listening station had the guts to play.

Some honorable mentions are:

The time I was in Woodstock and the stores were just opening up on a hot August day and some guy was blasting Simple Twist of Fate out of his store and it was the warmest feeling I had in a while.

Another was the time I went to the Green Dragon flea market in Pennsylvania and some guy off in the distance was playing Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts as the market was closing for the day.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 20:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Last year, I was at a small concert by Steve Forbert. Waiting for the concert to start, they played "World Gone Wrong" over the PA system. I'd forgotten how good it sounded. I enjoyed it almost as much as the concert. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2011, 22:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

yeah like live today via iPhone broadcast...wicked freakin cool hahahaha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next