Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 13:03 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 10:39 GMT 

Its actually quite refreshing to hear someone write about music that way, you dont get that much hERe, which is surprising. Anyone can take what they want from lyrics but the music, written or played is very little discussed.

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:51 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Its actually quite refreshing to hear someone write about music that way, you dont get that much hERe, which is surprising. Anyone can take what they want from lyrics but the music, written or played is very little discussed.

yes. this.
spot on.

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 13:07 GMT 

Here a list of the songs/frequency on Trouble No More.
L stands for Live (So L7 means Live on disk 7)
S stands for Studio
T stands for Trouble No More, the film
The numbers stand for the disk, from 1-11
55 songs altogether
22 studio recordings
20 new songs/covers not released on Slow Train, Saved or Shot of Love

Abraham, Martin and John (T)
Ain’t Gonna Go To Hell (L2,L4,L5,T)
Ain’t No Man Righteous (L2,S3)
Are You Ready? (L2,L6,T)
Ballad Of A Thin Man (L7)
Blessed Is The Name (L2,L11)
Blowing’ In The Wind (L8)
Caribbean Wind (L2,S4)
City Of Gold (L3)
Covenant Woman (L1,S3,L5,L10)
Cover Down, Pray Through (L4,L5,T)
Dead Man, Dead Man (L2,S4,L7)
Do Right To Me (L1,S3,L6,L11)
Every Grain Of Sand (L2,S4,T)
Forever Young (L8)
Girl From The North Country (L7)
Gonna Change My Way (L1,S3,L11)
Gotta Serve Somebody (L1,L2,S3,S4,L5,L7,L10)
Help Me Understand (S3)
I Believe in You (L1,L5,L7,L10)
I Don’t Believe You (L7)
In The Garden (L1,L6,L8,L11)
In The Summertime (L2)
It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (L8)
I Will Love Him (L3)
Jesus Is The One (L3)
Jesus Met The Woman At The Well (T)
Just Like A Woman (L8)
Knocking’ On Heaven’s Door (L8)
Lenny Bruce (L8)
Let’s Begin (L8)
Like A Rolling Stone (L7)
Maggie’s Farm (L7)
Making A Liar Out Of Me (S4)
Man Gave Names (L1,L5,L7,L10)
Mr Tambourine Man (L8)
Precious Angel (L1,L5,T)
Pressing On (L2,S3,L6,T,L11)
Rise Again (S4)
Saved (L1,T,L11)
Saving Grace (L2,L6,L11)
Shot Of Love (L2,S4,T
Slow Train (L1,L2,S3,S4,L6,L8,T,L10)
Solid Rock (L1,L2,L6,L8,T,L11)
Stand By Faith (S3)
The Groom’s Still Waiting (L2,S4)
Thief On The Cross (L3)
Trouble In Mind (S3)
Watered-Down Love (L2,S4,L8)
What Can I Do For You? (L1,L6,T,L11)
When He Returns (L1,S3,L5,T,L10)
When You Gonna Wake Up (L1,L5,L8,L10)
Ye Shall Be Changed (S3)
You Changed My Life (S4)
Yonder Comes Sin (S4)

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 17:23 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Just goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time. The fact that there's live stuff from 1979 and other tracks from Slow Train Coming means the difference for me between buying the 2CD set or ending up with nothing at all. I loved the album Slow train Coming but was not so keen on Shot Of Love or Saved so seeing those great songs from Slow Train being included makes all the difference to me. As I said on the Tour Rumours I'd be quite happy to see him ditch the American Songbook stuff and replace it with Gotta Serve Someboday, Slow Train, Solid Rock, etc - what a sensation that would be to see in the set lists!

Well that didn't happen, not a hint of BS No 13 from the first four set-lists. I suppose I was hoping against hope!

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 17:56 GMT 

...and they even called the latest Pool game - 'Remembering The Gospel Years - U.S. Fall Tour', what a let down!

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 

Imagine hoping he'd do some of the Jebus songs live! Too funny.

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 23:13 GMT 

You might be an old fan, living in the past,
You may be stuck in the seventies, and fading fast,
You might live in Belgravia, or Petty Coat Lane,
You might be be banned, posting hERe, under another name..

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 02:01 GMT 

Let's not also forget that Jerry Wexler, the genius behind Atlantic Records, produced both Slow Train Coming and Saved. He knew good music and was Jewish. He didnt care a damn about Christianity but knew great music.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 03:42 GMT 

toilandblood546 wrote:
Let's not also forget that Jerry Wexler, the genius behind Atlantic Records, produced both Slow Train Coming and Saved. He knew good music and was Jewish. He didnt care a damn about Christianity but knew great music.

Please. He was getting paid handsomely and got the opportunity to work with a legend. Any producer would have taken the gig.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 04:13 GMT 

If I post something negative, and negative again, and then maybe negative again . . . does that mean that I can become part of Kool and his Gang?

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 07:19 GMT 

The forum should be renamed to Expecting Pain, at this point.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 07:27 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
Isn't the real problem with Dylan's 'Born Again' period the fact that it's horrible to experience - the sight and sound of a coke-emptied intellect declaiming the views of his brainwashers is distressing to witness.

For me, there is no joy to be derived from another person's madness.

Well, I rather like Van Gogh. Perhaps I should stop. Or perhaps you could just lighten up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 08:04 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
If I post something negative, and negative again, and then maybe negative again . . . does that mean that I can become part of Kool and his Gang?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 08:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

Even the swap meets around here are getting pretty corrupt.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 16:34 GMT 

Foggy said it!

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 05:03 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
...and they even called the latest Pool game - 'Remembering The Gospel Years - U.S. Fall Tour', what a let down!

Yes indeed. Especially with two nights in Salt Lake City and with Mavis Staples joining the tour there, was hoping for a bit of direct gospel (rather than the allusions on, say, Time Out of Mind). The two shows were fine but the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 06:15 GMT 

I'd expect a promo video spot just about this time, especially considering that there's a film in the package.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 07:51 GMT 

If he played any of the gospel material people would then be complaining that the songs were in a different key to the original or were arranged differently either way there would be some moaning on here. I think even if its not your cup of tea when he performs the "sinatra" stuff hes putting his heart and soul into it his sincerity isnt faked.

I do think that taking this detour helped him find some enthusiasm for his own songs the two shows I saw last year were outstanding even if I missed the harmonica a little, he was on fire.

Its easy to compare the American Songbook stuff with the gospel stuff because back then nobody wanted him to perform this type of material, yet now people cannot wait to hear this bootleg series. Another Self Portrait was the same.

Personally Id rather listen to 100 outakes from the last five albums than anything bar Brownsville Girl that was left off Knocked out loaded, Down in the groove or Empire Burlesque, If the next Dylan album was a covers album Id be quite happy with that if he moved to tackling a different artist or genre of music. Hes written enough songs for us not to expect anything more.

Of course like any fan Id be excited if we got another album of original material, but if it were of the standard of say Under the red sky id rather he stuck to covers.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

In the end I couldn't resist and bought the Deluxe Edition at Bob's official store... Let's hope the packaging will be great.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 12:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Desolation Row wrote:
If he played any of the gospel material people would then be complaining that the songs were in a different key to the original or were arranged differently either way there would be some moaning on here.

Ya, but that's just the basic statistical Bell Curve. There will always be moaners here & there that seem to make a lot more noise than the majority (the middle of the curve). Hell, I'm one of the whiners about the American Standard era and I realize I'm in the minority. Whiners sound louder than they really are. Who cares about the whiners?

Desolation Row wrote:
I think even if its not your cup of tea when he performs the "sinatra" stuff hes putting his heart and soul into it his sincerity isnt faked.

Agreed.

Desolation Row wrote:
I do think that taking this detour helped him find some enthusiasm for his own songs the two shows I saw last year were outstanding even if I missed the harmonica a little, he was on fire.

Agreed.

Desolation Row wrote:
Its easy to compare the American Songbook stuff with the gospel stuff

Really?

Desolation Row wrote:
because back then nobody wanted him to perform this type of material,

But the Standards were generally received pretty well, no?
The Gospel stuff confused the audience enough to to instantly regurgitate in a visceral way, if I recall correctly.
Or just sit in stunned silence and say nothing.

Desolation Row wrote:
yet now people cannot wait to hear this bootleg series.

Some people, yes. I'm definitely psyched for this one.

Desolation Row wrote:
Another Self Portrait was the same.

Another Self Portrait was such a pleasant surprise to primarily buy as a completist and then actually really enjoy it.
Bravo Dylan, Inc. on that one!

Desolation Row wrote:
Personally Id rather listen to 100 outakes from the last five albums than anything bar Brownsville Girl that was left off Knocked out loaded, Down in the groove or Empire Burlesque, If the next Dylan album was a covers album Id be quite happy with that if he moved to tackling a different artist or genre of music.

I respectfully disagree and have a different opinion, which is fine.

Desolation Row wrote:
He's written enough songs for us not to expect anything more.

The key to Dylan is to have no expectations! Meanwhile, it's sometimes difficult to have the discipline not to, at least for me.
Case in point for me: American Standards series.
And yes, the dude's done amazing things and poured his soul out to us in writings.
Hard to expect more.
That's why tidbits like Making a Liar Out of Me are so refreshing and exciting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5FQhbirrc

Desolation Row wrote:
Of course like any fan Id be excited if we got another album of original material, but if it were of the standard of say Under the red sky id rather he stuck to covers.

I respectfully disagree and have a different opinion, which is fine.
I'd take originals over covers any day.

Thanks for listening Desolation.
Seems like I hardly ever take more than 2 seconds to respond these days.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 16:12 GMT 

The american standards were not generally well recieved not on this site anyway. Theres been more posts on here laying into him for the last three albums than for anything he recorded in the 80s.

Even Before Shadows there was criticism of recent original material because much of it was blues based and sometimes he borrowed lines from old songs , so at least he did do something different in the path he took.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 17:56 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
The american standards were not generally well recieved not on this site anyway. Theres been more posts on here laying into him for the last three albums than for anything he recorded in the 80s.

Even Before Shadows there was criticism of recent original material because much of it was blues based and sometimes he borrowed lines from old songs , so at least he did do something different in the path he took.

The American standards were well received. I saw maybe one negative review among all the praise, and it was very widely reviewed. It wasn't hailed as some definitive masterpiece, but as a respectable addition to
the cannon, all things considered. ER is a small corner of the Dylan market.

As far as the 80s, everyone agrees that it wasn't very good, but ExpectingRain started in 2004, about 20 years after Dylan's 80s slump. So understandably people are a bit more tempered about it. If this forum were alive in the 1980s, it would have been a very different story I think.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 18:13 GMT 

Is it anything to do with the stage dylans at in his carrer? When in the 80s, blob was a major star, he still had alot to do to become a "legend"? Now he seems to be there, a living legend, folk are more inclined to accept a change in his musical output. Its just a theory.

I wasnt around in the 80s but i get alot of enjoyment out of the recordings from that era. I dont "get" the latest albums, but they have been well recieved.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 19:41 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Is it anything to do with the stage dylans at in his carrer? When in the 80s, blob was a major star, he still had alot to do to become a "legend"? Now he seems to be there, a living legend, folk are more inclined to accept a change in his musical output. Its just a theory.

I wasnt around in the 80s but i get alot of enjoyment out of the recordings from that era. I dont "get" the latest albums, but they have been well recieved.

I saw Dylan first in 1984 in Europe. Both the 1978 and the 1981 tour skipped a number of countries, so
the whole press was 'living legend, living legend, grab your chance to see him'. He'd been a star for already 20 years, which in the 1980s was as good as it got really. I think by the late 70s the label started to be applied to Bob, and by the 80s it was everywhere. He'd been through 5 quite defined artistic periods, and was looked upon by the youth as ancient. I still remember the headline after the concert: 'Lukewarm reunion with a living legend'.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 08:59 GMT 

They just put up a new preview track on Youtube, a Warfield 'Slow Train'! Sounds pretty crisp to me. Also has a (short) spoken intro, nice to know that they haven't excised all of banter even if the sermons won't be on this release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=s ... pp=desktop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 55  Next