Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu July 19th, 2018, 08:09 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 63  Next
PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 12:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

kaleidosc0pe wrote:
Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.ca price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

interesting..

That's nothin' new, they've been doing that for years

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 13:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

I can be without Property of Jesus which is omitted (maybe not even played live?) but Heart of mine is also missing, wasn't that one done quite well on stage in the summer '81?
I don't like the fall version.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 13:04 GMT 

amazon uk and Germany have lowered their price drastically: Uk 121 GBP, Germany 131,99 Euros (i.e. the same price as jpc)

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 13:41 GMT 

effort wrote:
I can be without Property of Jesus which is omitted (maybe not even played live?) but Heart of mine is also missing, wasn't that one done quite well on stage in the summer '81?

I hope when they do a 1980s set they start with the secular outtakes and rarities they skipped over on Trouble no More. So instead of jumping right in with Infidels we'll get Let's Keep it Between Us live and Shot of Love outtakes like Angelina and Heart of Mine.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 15:36 GMT 

Another way to order it:

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/bob-dylan

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 15:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dan33185 wrote:

£94. Now we're talking! I've used pledge music in the past and not had any problems.

EDIT: It's $28 for shipping, which brings the cost up to £114. :(

Last edited by gibsona07 on Wed September 27th, 2017, 15:44 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 15:42 GMT 

effort wrote:

They also haven't included "Let's Keep It Between Us", both non-religious songs. I guess that's the thinking.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 15:50 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
I don’t think anybody is implying that Dylan is “on a cross” in the cover image, (though, to adopt the vernacular he was “crucified” for his choices by a substantial portion of his fans and critics alike during this period) just that the arms outstretched pose has undeniably held significance in most Western Christian art for the last couple of millennia. Whether the picture shows Dylan as crassly and judgementally “finger pointing” at the eternally damned or the saved (like the hand of God on the eponymous album) is an entirely different matter, and one observation doesn't necessarily rule out the other.

On another matter, it’s great to see times never change, and everybody is involved in the wonderful ER tradition of greeting the news of a new BS release by a) moaning about the price, b) disliking the cover art & c) ordering the thing and speculating when it will arrive.

Again, it's language choices. Pedantic perhaps, but there's a touch of the hyperbole comparing a popular recording artist who has received some criticism from fans and the music press for the direction his music has taken, to Christ being crucified on the cross. In terms of interpretation Dylan's arms could just as easily be perceived as being outstretched; a gesture you'll see at many churches during prayers, as pointing. My main point was that I don't feel the design was intended to represent a cross, an interpretation that I have read here, but I could well be wrong. In any case, typography aside (which is pretty rubbish) I don't think it's a bad cover. I also feel it was a fairly reasonable price, but I don't begrudge anyone criticising any of those factors; it is a discussion group after all. We may be consumers but, to take the religious imagery another step, that doesn't mean we have to fall down on knees and worship at the altar of Dylan inc every time they bless us with a new release.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 15:55 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:

£94. Now we're talking! I've used pledge music in the past and not had any problems.

The best price for UK folks seems to be the importcds.com site. US$121 including shipping to the UK. Works out at about £90 I think.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 16:05 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
kaleidosc0pe wrote:
Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.ca price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

interesting..

That's nothin' new, they've been doing that for years

and ? because it's not new it's not interesting ? Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 16:21 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:

Why is the price so low on this website ?
Amazon Canada = 227.40 CAD$ (free shipping)
Pledge Music = 125.98 $ + 30.77 shipping = 156.75 USD (194 $ canadian dollars)

Am I missing something ? I am afraid I'll have to pay for customs clearance & import fees.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 16:49 GMT 

I just realized - a bit slow on the uptake - that Heylin is coming with another book, this one with the "Trouble No More" title. Was Heylin involved with this bootleg or is he just cashing in?

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 16:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

kaleidosc0pe wrote:

Why is the price so low on this website ?
Amazon Canada = 227.40 CAD$ (free shipping)
Pledge Music = 125.98 $ + 30.77 shipping = 156.75 USD (194 $ canadian dollars)

Am I missing something ? I am afraid I'll have to pay for customs clearance & import fees.

It's all legit. Pledge are a proper retailer and they are officially affiliated with Bob and Sony. I don't know why it's lower, and i'm fairly sure you won't have to pay additional import fees (but don't take my word for it!).

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 17:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Voice With Restraint wrote:
effort wrote:

They also haven't included "Let's Keep It Between Us", both non-religious songs. I guess that's the thinking.

OK, but Shot of love (the song), Lenny Bruce and maybe Groom aren't exactly religious either.

The song selection looks as an attempt to offer the SOL songs live - Trouble and and Property of Jesus weren't done live, I believe, but Heart of mine was.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Just my observation but Trouble No More is a fantastic title for this Bootleg Series release. Been a very long time since I looked forward to a release as much as I'm looking forward to this one.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:13 GMT 

effort wrote:
Voice With Restraint wrote:

OK, but Shot of love (the song), Lenny Bruce and maybe Groom aren't exactly religious either.

The song selection looks as an attempt to offer the SOL songs live - Trouble and and Property of Jesus weren't done live, I believe, but Heart of mine was.

SoL (=shot of Christ) and Groom (Church=Bride) are very religious. Hard to make that case for Bruce, all the same.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:16 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I just realized - a bit slow on the uptake - that Heylin is coming with another book, this one with the "Trouble No More" title. Was Heylin involved with this bootleg or is he just cashing in?

Heylin may be 'cashing in', but his contribution to the literature about Dylan earns him the right, in my opinion. He may have some very rigid and definite opinions, but he's always well briefed and interesting.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mickvet wrote:
effort wrote:

SoL (=shot of Christ) and Groom (Church=Bride) are very religious. Hard to make that case for Bruce, all the same.

Right, what was I drinking?

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:47 GMT 

They really should have included at least one sermon.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:53 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Just my observation but Trouble No More is a fantastic title for this Bootleg Series release. Been a very long time since I looked forward to a release as much as I'm looking forward to this one.

at first I thought it was a bad title of a book about Dylan. Because "Trouble no more" can't exist in his art. When I realized what it was, I read the title and saw the CD-cover as irony with love.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:54 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

Heylin may be 'cashing in', but his contribution to the literature about Dylan earns him the right, in my opinion. He may have some very rigid and definite opinions, but he's always well briefed and interesting.

I never meant to cast any aspersions on Heylin (I'm the president and custodian in the Clinton Heylin fanclub - we meet every second thursday of the month) just curious if he had a hand in the bootleg, or if he worked in tandem with Columbia/Sony. I still haven't read his previous book (I will, I will) but cant wait for this one.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 19:44 GMT 

Kle wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

at first I thought it was a bad title of a book about Dylan. Because "Trouble no more" can't exist in his art. When I realized what it was, I read the title and saw the CD-cover as irony with love.

I don't see no irony – "Trouble No More" is a common phrase in blues songs etc. – "one day there'll gonna be trouble no more". I guess this promise is what the title refers to

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 19:59 GMT 

Thank you. I saw it from the beginning as a response to "Trouble in Mind". That's why it seemed cheap to me.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 20:09 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I never meant to cast any aspersions on Heylin (I'm the president and custodian in the Clinton Heylin fanclub - we meet every second thursday of the month) just curious if he had a hand in the bootleg, or if he worked in tandem with Columbia/Sony. I still haven't read his previous book (I will, I will) but cant wait for this one.

He was certainly given a degree of inside information about the contents of the album.
He knew before anyone that no 13 was about the gospel years, and I think a good deal
of buzz around the bootleg started due to the book announcement. How this all played
out between the different parties is not known.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 21:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Winter Lude wrote:
They really should have included at least one sermon.

I would have liked to see a couple included. Bob was on fire during this era, as much or more than any point in his career and he refused to be denied or to back down. The sermons may not reflect what he believes today but they are a great snapshot of the late '70s evangelical apocalypticism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 63  Next