Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 08:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:37 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:
For some people this music will be free, one way or another.

More importantly, can someone pm me with the title of the book that collected all of Dylan's sermons from this era? I can't remember the title.

I could only afford the six cd Cutting Edge, but I got the rest eventually...

The six was the sweet spot. There wasn't that much more to get on the full release. But what they should have done was make the standard release of Cutting Edge a 5 CD set (get rid of the superfluous disc of LARS) at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:41 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:
Okay, so it's the 28th. Good. I'm happy with the 28th.

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
I suppose both shows were recorded by Dylan's crew. :?: There is some song of the 27th inside BS13. And the full show of the 28th inside the bonus CD. The circulating boots with the audience recording of the 27th had a very poor sound. The sound from the 28th is better but it is an incomplete recording.

That's my fault. I taped both shows from the second row underneath the tower of speakers. My tapes are incomplete and sound like crap. Only for the most complete completists. Security guards stood five feet in front me both nights. It was impossible to conceal a microphone or change tape sides without being spotted. My wife at the time covered for me but mistakes were made trying not to caught. There was too much stage light in seating area under the stage. The security guards could see us. They were too damn close and would not move. Dylan was guarded like the president on the gospel tour. I'd have made better tapes if I'd been sitting further away. But I'm glad I was up close. Those two concerts have remained significant events in my life.

The second night, a gentleman sitting next to me, who saw that I was taping, started to chat. He had a British accent and said he was in the music business and that he had done the same thing the first night, putting a Nagra tape recorder under his chair. He moved closer to the center of the stage for the encore and I was unable to get to him for his contact info, or we'd have a better audience tape of the first night, I'm sure.

Given the hostility you describe, it is understandable that the security was so intense. This wasn't long before John Lennon was murdered by a disgruntled 'fan', so, in retrospect, they were right to be careful. Of course, all you were trying to do was share a great show, perhaps at a cost to your own immediate enjoyment, so thank you very much for that. You were also restricted by the limitations of 1970's technology, I'm sure. Everything is more effective and more concealable nowadays.

We all owe a great debt to people like yourself who have, over the years, gone to such great trouble to record and share this great music without any thought of profiting from it. I, for one, take it for granted.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Although initially disappointed with compilations I think this has the potential to be the best or second best of the Bootleg Series. Everything about it screams, "MUST HAVE!!!"

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:47 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
Alouette wrote:
album cover looks great

You tripping? It looks like a rushed low budget amateur bootleg CD insert, and Bob looks a sight.

I like it. It's an innocent, joyful pose. There is no pretense or cynicism to it. It would have been effortless to choose a more 'sophisticated' or 'wiser-looking' pose. The very fact that he is described as looking 'a sight' or, in the case of another poster, like an intellectually-challenged (to use the politically correct garbage) child speaks volumes for the humility involved in choosing that image.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:56 GMT 

Does anyone know: If I order the deluxe from bobdylan.com, will the dvd be region 1?

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:59 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Alouette wrote:
album cover looks great

You tripping? It looks like a rushed low budget amateur bootleg CD insert, and Bob looks a sight.

I like it. It's an innocent, joyful pose. There is no pretense or cynicism to it. It would have been effortless to choose a more 'sophisticated' or 'wiser-looking' pose. The very fact that he is described as looking 'a sight' or, in the case of another poster, like an intellectually-challenged (to use the politically correct garbage) child speaks volumes for the humility involved in choosing that image.

What absolute twaddle! The photo is bad, Bob looks bad in it, but in any case I was talking about the overall cover design, not just the photo. It sucks!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:01 GMT 

The "pose" is most likely from performing Ballad of a Thin Man. Dylan would point like this at regular, rhythmic moments throughout the song.
That this particular photo seems to mirror a crucifixion pose is, I guess, serendipitous.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:02 GMT 

The photo is fine. Not worth arguing about.

Perhaps someone in the know will explain to you the significance of his posture and the hand gestures.

Senyor Timbaler wrote:

Are you the taper? Thanks anyway!

You're welcome anyhow.

Trust me, if the Dylan organization is going to release their board tape, you don't need my audience tape.

All the 1979 concerts were taped at the mixing board and videotaped from far off at the back of the auditorium. I remember discussing this at length with Paul Williams. He was talking to the Dylan organization to get passes and travel on the bus. He told me all the shows were being recorded at the mixing board. He heard it from them. We both saw a camcorder mounted on a tripod at the back of the auditoriums and talked about those. So all the concerts were taped and videotaped.

Bootleg Series 13 Trouble No More is not a good representation of the gospel years nor of the gospel tours. I don't agree with how the content is selected and organized. There should be more emphasis on 1979 concerts, which stands apart from the 1980 and 1981 shows for many reasons. That should be a box-set all to itself. But I will be glad to get it, in any case.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:04 GMT 

Since this set covers his Christian period, the album cover is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:09 GMT 

Jal015 wrote:
bobfan wrote:
The teacher rap is from the 1963 Town Hall concert. You can hear it on the great CD Stolen Moments. You only need to hear it once though, enough is enough. I suspect if these rants were left on they would very rapidly become tiresome even to those of a mind to listen.

Where can I get this?

http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-u07.html
Apparently, that's Carnegie Hall, not Town Hall.

I guess it's pretty hard to find now. And I don't know if there's a link to share it on ER, as some of the songs have been officiallyy released.

Good luck.

(At least, you can read it here: http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... 2#p1163500 )

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:09 GMT 

vegma wrote:

Yeah, I get that it may be argued to be thematically apt; but aesthetically, it's gash.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:13 GMT 

Is it absolutely sure that most of the tracks from discs 3 and 4 are studio recordings? Checking the dates on each track, most of them appear to be taken from concerts as well. I believe that only the ones marked "outtakes" are without a doubt studio versions. Just to exemplify with some titles mentioned here:

Jesus Is the One (Unreleased song – Jul. 17, 1981) - Bob was in Lorelei, Germany on that date, and song appears on setlist
Thief on the Cross (Unreleased song – Nov. 10, 1981) - New Orleans, LA, same
Cover Down, Pray Through (Unreleased song – May 1, 1980) - Buffalo NY, same
Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Unreleased song – Dec. 2, 1980) - Salem, OR, same

On the other hand, Yonder Comes Sin and Rise Again, just to mention two, are also labeled "Unreleased Song" and come from non-touring dates.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:14 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
vegma wrote:

Yeah, I get that it may be argued to be thematically apt; but aesthetically, it's gash.

Exactly my point!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:15 GMT 

four-armed phone wrote:
Is it absolutely sure that most of the tracks from discs 3 and 4 are studio recordings? Checking the dates on each track, most of them appear to be taken from concerts as well. I believe that only the ones marked "outtakes" are without a doubt studio versions. Just to exemplify with some titles mentioned here:

Jesus Is the One (Unreleased song – Jul. 17, 1981) - Bob was in Lorelei, Germany on that date, and song appears on setlist
Thief on the Cross (Unreleased song – Nov. 10, 1981) - New Orleans, LA, same
Cover Down, Pray Through (Unreleased song – May 1, 1980) - Buffalo NY, same
Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Unreleased song – Dec. 2, 1980) - Salem, OR, same

On the other hand, Yonder Comes Sin and Rise Again, just to mention two, are also labeled "Unreleased Song" and come from non-touring dates.

I think the first four songs were never recorded in a studio.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:26 GMT 

Great to hear first hand from richard w, thank you for posting that, i also echo mickvets kind words on your recording exploits.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 18:44 GMT 

[quote="Richard--W"]Bootleg Series 13 Trouble No More is not a good representation of the gospel years nor of the gospel tours. I don't agree with how the content is selected and organized. There should be more emphasis on 1979 concerts, which stands apart from the 1980 and 1981 shows for many reasons. That should be a box-set all to itself. But I will be glad to get it, in any case.[/quote]

I'm not a big bootleg dweller, the threshold usually being the poor sound.

Still, I understand the trajectory here, spontaneity (that I look for) gave way gradually.

81 always seemed tired to me (and then was my first Dylan concert, wrong format - large arena) but also 80 sounded somewhat subdued.

Let's hear it for 79

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 19:09 GMT 

effort wrote:
Richard--W wrote:
Bootleg Series 13 Trouble No More is not a good representation of the gospel years nor of the gospel tours. I don't agree with how the content is selected and organized. There should be more emphasis on 1979 concerts, which stands apart from the 1980 and 1981 shows for many reasons. That should be a box-set all to itself. But I will be glad to get it, in any case.[/quote]

I'm not a big bootleg dweller, the threshold usually being the poor sound.

Still, I understand the trajectory here, spontaneity (that I look for) gave way gradually.

81 always seemed tired to me (and then was my first Dylan concert, wrong format - large arena) but also 80 sounded somewhat subdued.

Let's hear it for 79

I agree with this. This makes San Diego essential. It's a pity it's release is so restricted and that more of the '79 shows haven't been released.

At the same time, I am very grateful for all that is on this set. Whatever about the limitations of '80/'81, I am delighted to get these concerts, too.

I wonder will Sony later consider a release of the '79 shows in the manner of the '66 release?

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 19:15 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
man in the moon wrote:
On BD.com once you press the button to add the bonus discs to your cart you can delete the box set from the shopping cart so it just contains only the free bonus!

I've just ordered the bonus only and had to pay £2.10 for shipping. They've thanked me and confirmed my order!

Don't usually buy from this site because it's so expensive but no complaints about this! Will they honor it and if they don't will I get my £2.10 back?

I don't actually have a CD player anymore but couldn't resist this just to see if Sony come through!

They must've fixed it.

Just did it, it's not "fixed" yet. Maybe this is intended as a gift for the Expecting Rain community? We can hope... but I expect they'll politely refund our money and tell us to buy the deluxe set or lump it.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 20:37 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Does anyone know: If I order the deluxe from bobdylan.com, will the dvd be region 1?

That's a bloody good question. I never thought about it when I ordered it. I can only hope that as they ship word wide, it will be region free. If not I will just have to use software to make a region free copy myself.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 21:05 GMT 

Not enough outtakes of "Caribbean Wind," but I suppose I can pay $175 for the one live performance of "Caribbean Wind" and the one studio outtake of "Caribbean Wind."

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 21:31 GMT 

I'm in limbo with this. I can't find anything redeeming about it.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 21:49 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Richard--W wrote:
The photo is fine. Not worth arguing about.

Perhaps someone in the know will explain to you the significance of his posture and the hand gestures.

I already did, 5 pages back.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91567&start=175#p1775560

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 21:57 GMT 

Very nice, charlesdarwin. The entire congregation at the Vineyard Christian Fellowship, or whatever it was called, where Dylan went to church during his born-again experience, will raise up their arms with an extended finger to touch each other's hand not unlike that famous fresco by Michelangelo where one hand reaches for another as mimicked on the cover of SAVED.

chobbers2 wrote:
I'm in limbo with this. I can't find anything redeeming about it.

The contents of the box-set is a redemption.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 22:03 GMT 

Seriously though, why does this look like trash? I don't understand. Seems to be the new trend with BS releases...

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 22:14 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
I've played the '80 Toronto sbd recording, and Avignon '81 sbd, a lot but never spent any time with the '79 gigs because the audience recordings just didn't have good enough sound quality for me. To get professional recordings from this run that have never circulated is really something to look forward to.

What 1979 shows have you heard?
Santa Monica 79.11.18 is as good as any 1980 recording.
There are different sources of it i think, but the one i uploaded
to the Rare Recordings page is an 'A' for sound.
I love the 1980 shows you mentioned, but Santa Monica
is certainly as good as those two shows for sound quality.
It's a shame you need such a pristine near release quality bootleg,
i hope that's not stopped you listening to recordings that aren't
near official quality, there's so many shows rated B and B+ on
LB that are amazing shows. Most of which will never see an official
release.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 58  Next