Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 14:55 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 12:36 GMT 

I've ordered the deluxe edition from badlands.co.uk, my Dylan supplier of choice since they sent me "Love & Theft" three days before that fateful release day. The deluxe edition gets me everything, right? I'm a little confused by all these hidden, secret, exclusive bonus things.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 12:44 GMT 

tyke wrote:
Quote:
I thought it was from Town Hall, but I don't think that's been released. Anyway, I know I've heard it, and the teacher thinks that the answer is to blow into the wind!

The teacher rap is from the 1963 Town Hall concert. You can hear it on the great CD Stolen Moments. You only need to hear it once though, enough is enough. I suspect if these rants were left on they would very rapidly become tiresome even to those of a mind to listen.

Right, I got it from a downloaded "Unravelled Tales" (that one: https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/ ... rn-encore/ )
Just listened to it again. The teacher did not directly speak to Dylan, it's a story "a friend of mine told me" Dylan says.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 12:51 GMT 

(About the sermon)
josemesa wrote:
Heylin's comment seems to indicate they have been removed, and he generally knows what's going on. I wonder if they'll be removed from the San Diego '79 show? I am guessing this is Dylan rewriting his history a bit, maybe embarrassed by the vehemence with which he embraced the gospel in his early fervor. Personally, though I am an Atheist, I have always enjoyed those sermons, and cherish my tiny book "Saved!"

The same kind of idea just popped up in my mind: possibly Dylan is no longer willing to take responsibility for that kind of speaches. Plus/Or the fact that Sony probably do not want to risk any controversy again -that's bad for sales figures...

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 13:48 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
I've ordered the deluxe edition from badlands.co.uk, my Dylan supplier of choice since they sent me "Love & Theft" three days before that fateful release day. The deluxe edition gets me everything, right? I'm a little confused by all these hidden, secret, exclusive bonus things.

There's only one "hidden, secret, bonus thing". An extra 2-CD set with a 1979 concert if you buy the box on BD's official site.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 13:48 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:

Howdy, SN! I believe you wont get the bonus 1979 San Diego gig, as this is only supposed to be included in orders done through bobdylan.com. but Im also confused now so who knows?

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

DCB wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
[quote="Huck27"]The prices are what they are, pay up or let it go by. In 12 months time they may have reduced. Dinner for two and a bottle of wine in a decent eatery can cost $100 here in Melbourne, all done and dusted in a couple of hours. The pleasure derived from BS 13 might last a little longer than that. Seems like something for nothing is everyone's plan.

It's not a completely unreasonable price, but it does present a problem as 200$ is a lot to ask your partner so spring for for a christmas present.
But, let's be honest, I'll probably end up buying it myself long before that.

It will be interesting to see how well the deluxe edition sells. I thought Sony had settled on a formula for their deluxe BS editions with Basement Tapes Complete and the 6CD Cutting Edge -- i.e. 6CDs, one or two books with notes and photos, and a price point in the $100 - 120 range. The 9/11 disc Trouble No More seems a bit bloated and expensive to me, and I have a feeling that, as you say, it won't do as well among Christmas shoppers looking for something for the Dylan fan on their list. As a more than casual Dylan fan myself, I think I would be much more inclined to pick this up immediately if they had trimmed 1/3 of the discs and 1/3 off the price.[/quote]Exactly this. I've pretty much decided not to get this box .- but I would definitely have bought (say) a 4CD version at a sensible price, with all the missing studio material and a sample of good live performances. As it is, I'll have to settle for the 2CD.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 14:54 GMT 

I've played the '80 Toronto sbd recording, and Avignon '81 sbd, a lot but never spent any time with the '79 gigs because the audience recordings just didn't have good enough sound quality for me. To get professional recordings from this run that have never circulated is really something to look forward to.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 15:48 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
man in the moon wrote:
On BD.com once you press the button to add the bonus discs to your cart you can delete the box set from the shopping cart so it just contains only the free bonus!

I've just ordered the bonus only and had to pay £2.10 for shipping. They've thanked me and confirmed my order!

Don't usually buy from this site because it's so expensive but no complaints about this! Will they honor it and if they don't will I get my £2.10 back?

I don't actually have a CD player anymore but couldn't resist this just to see if Sony come through!

They must've fixed it.

It doesn't look like they did and that's not the only bug in there. Still, since that's been posted here, I assume they'll be notified and will review the orders in order to filter out abusers.

Bugs notwithstanding, this "new" vendor they partner with seems to offer a much better service than those Delivery Agent guys that handled the sale of BS12. But then again, that's also a pretty low bar.

As for the whole price discussion, I agree that this box is overpriced. On the other hand, it's already available at lower prices from other sources and it will probably be available at even lower prices within the next 6-12 months. For those who can't afford it, these sets will always be way too expensive, no matter how "reasonable" the price is. It sucks, but at least we're not talking about any basic necessities here. Like many others, Sony will charge whatever they think they can get away with. If there was no demand in sight, the price would come down.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:03 GMT 

San Diego '79 a 2-CD set is included with Trouble No More if you order from bobdylan.com.

There were two concerts at Golden Hall, San Diego, November 27 and November 28.

Which one is this?

I was at both shows. November 27 was a high-conflict encounter with most of the audience storming out gradually during the concert. By the encore, Dylan played to perhaps two-hundred people. It did not change his performance any: he was brilliant above and beyond the call of gospel duty.

November 28 was another high-conflict encounter but not as severe and this time most of the audience stayed. Dylan poured his heart out. I don't know which of the two performances is best. Maybe the second one. But they were both killer concerts.

His raps were amazing at both shows. I love his raps, especially the one about Iran.
The volume was earth-shaking. He hasn't played that loud in a long, long time.

So, which concert is this?
If anyone can snag the cover art or more info on it do post the news here.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:14 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:
San Diego '79 a 2-CD set is included with Trouble No More if you order from bobdylan.com.

Which one is this?

I was at both shows. November 27 was a high-conflict encounter with most of the audience storming out gradually during the concert. By the encore, Dylan played to perhaps two-hundred people. It did not change his performance any: he was brilliant above and beyond the call of gospel duty.

November 28 was another high-conflict encounter but not as severe and this time most of the audience stayed. Dylan poured his heart out. I don't know which of the two performances is best. Maybe the second one. But they were both killer concerts.

His raps were amazing at both shows. I love his raps, especially the one about Iran.

Richard, great post! So great to have inside info of someone who attended.
I just checked and it´s 28th nov. Even more excited about it now after your comments!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:16 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:

Which one is this?

Richard, I remember you enthusing several times here about the San Diego concerts. That is the reason why, when I saw the offer on BobDylan.com, I immediately snapped it up. With today's description, I don't care which show comes out, I'm even more looking forward to it. Maybe it'll be an amalgam of the two. Thanks for your heads-ups. Only for you I wouldn't have known San Diego even existed.

Edit: Thanks, wormington, now we know it's the marginally better of the two concerts. Better still.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:24 GMT 

so, do I understand right that this San Diego show has never circulated before?

Oh, and Richard, here´s a link to the artwork. The tracklist was available somewhere, but I can´t find it now

https://bob-dylan-us.myshopify.com/

Last edited by wormington on Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:28 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:28 GMT 

I suppose both shows were recorded by Dylan's crew. :?: There is some song of the 27th inside BS13. And the full show of the 28th inside the bonus CD. The circulating boots with the audience recording of the 27th had a very poor sound. The sound from the 28th is better but it is an incomplete recording.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

wormington wrote:
so, do I understand right that this San Diego show has never circulated before?

I'm not sure. I have most concerts from 1979, but hadn't even known of the San Diego ones until I read Richard talking about them. I then looked for them in the usual places (here, Dime, ELL and so on), but couldn't find any trace.

Edit: I seem to be second to the draw all the time today! It seems there were circulating shows, but with major faults. Hopefully, no faults with the Sony recording.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:32 GMT 

I have both San Diego recordings. Both are in circulation for many years. 27th is a complete recording (very poor sound). 28th better sound than 27th but it is an incomplete recording.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:34 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
I suppose both shows were recorded by Dylan's crew. :?: There is some song of the 27th inside BS13. And the full show of the 28th inside the bonus CD. The circulating boots with the audience recording of the 27th had a very poor sound. The sound from the 28th is better but it is an incomplete recording.

mmmh. OK, thanks. Hopefully this will be a good discovery for all fans, then

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:55 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
I have both San Diego recordings. Both are in circulation for many years. 27th is a complete recording (very poor sound). 28th better sound than 27th but it is an incomplete recording.

Obviously, the shows circulating weren't ideal, but were they good enough for you to form an opinion of the concerts, or at least one of them? Thanks in advance (and for the other info, too).

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 16:58 GMT 

I don´t think I´ve ever heard any 1979 shows, and I know they are very well regarded. Are there any good quality (and I mean REALLY good quality, I have no patience for so-so quality with muffled sound) shows? soundboard, or top notch audience tapes

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:05 GMT 

For example.

Bob Dylan
Civic Auditorium
Santa Monica, CA
November 18, 1979
Mike Millard first gen via JEMS "Slow train" Fantastic sound. You don't need a soundboard. :D :arrow: https://instaud.io/1ek1

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:14 GMT 

Nice one, Senyor! That rocked pretty hard even through the shitty speakers of my laptop. Oh, boy, Slow train is really one of those songs that are taken to another dimension live.
For now, I will wait for the BS release, but if after that I´m hungry for more I´ll come back to this. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:17 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
The teacher rap is from the 1963 Town Hall concert. You can hear it on the great CD Stolen Moments. You only need to hear it once though, enough is enough. I suspect if these rants were left on they would very rapidly become tiresome even to those of a mind to listen.

Where can I get this?

Last edited by Jal015 on Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:18 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:18 GMT 

Okay, so it's the 28th. Good. I'm happy with the 28th.

Senyor Timbaler wrote:

That's my fault. I taped both shows from the second row underneath the tower of speakers. My tapes are incomplete and sound like crap. Only for the most complete completists. Security guards stood five feet in front me both nights. It was impossible to conceal a microphone or change tape sides without being spotted. My wife at the time covered for me but mistakes were made trying not to caught. There was too much stage light in seating area under the stage. The security guards could see us. They were too damn close and would not move. Dylan was guarded like the president on the gospel tour. I'd have made better tapes if I'd been sitting further away. But I'm glad I was up close. Those two concerts have remained significant events in my life.

The second night, a gentleman sitting next to me, who saw that I was taping, started to chat. He had a British accent and said he was in the music business and that he had done the same thing the first night, putting a Nagra tape recorder under his chair. He moved closer to the center of the stage for the encore and I was unable to get to him for his contact info, or we'd have a better audience tape of the first night, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:25 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Senyor Timbaler wrote:

Obviously, the shows circulating weren't ideal, but were they good enough for you to form an opinion of the concerts, or at least one of them? Thanks in advance (and for the other info, too).

I'm not able to say one wich one of them is the better in terms performance. What I can say is that the 27th it is hard to listen, at least for me, just because the audio is quite poor (at least my copy of this boot). So I guess the tracks included in BS13 from 27th (What can i do for you and Solid Rock) they must be recorded by the Dylan's crew. In this case it is impossible that they are selling to us the same old bootlegs that we already have.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:27 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:
Okay, so it's the 28th. Good. I'm happy with the 28th.

Senyor Timbaler wrote:

That's my fault. I taped both shows from the second row underneath the tower of speakers. My tapes are incomplete and sound like crap. Only for the most complete completists. Security guards stood five feet in front me both nights. It was impossible to conceal a microphone or change tape sides without being spotted. My wife at the time covered for me but mistakes were made trying not to caught. There was too much stage light in seating area under the stage. The security guards could see us. They were too damn close and would not move. Dylan was guarded like the president on the gospel tour. I'd have made better tapes if I'd been sitting further away. But I'm glad I was up close. Those two concerts have remained significant events in my life.

The second night, a gentleman sitting next to me, who saw that I was taping, started to chat. He had a British accent and said he was in the music business and that he had done the same thing the first night, putting a Nagra tape recorder under his chair. He moved closer to the center of the stage for the encore and I was unable to get to him for his contact info, or we'd have a better audience tape of the first night, I'm sure.

Are you the taper? Thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

Alouette wrote:
album cover looks great

You tripping? It looks like a rushed low budget amateur bootleg CD insert, and Bob looks a sight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 27  Next