Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 19:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 21:59 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:
.... the double-CD as the dangling carrot, or whatever you call it. It's a horrible way for them to be selling it ...
I hate these "free" bonus discs where they milk you for whatever they can with it. It's deplorable.

often I would order (mostly books) at amazon.co.uk, they ship for free to Ireland when the amount is above £25, so with their current price for BS13 it would be £175.99 = 200 EURO (without the hated dangling carrot double-CD as "free" bonus), which is more than the €169.99 EURO plus €28.00 EURO shipping I have paid yesterday via bd.com (including the LIVE IN SAN DIEGO NOVEMBER 28, 1979 - 2CD set)

so what they are saying at present with their offer is, if someone wants to purchase this release and order it with us instead of them, we are not only less expensive, but also give them the show from 1979 for free

Last edited by notdarkyet on Thu September 21st, 2017, 22:07 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 22:00 GMT 

effort wrote:
The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
I'm glad to see they got that right. "Break Through" was always a mistake on the part of some person(s) who obviously didn't recognize this particular Christian expression. Been discussed here a number of times over the years.

Yeah, but I always thought 'break through' was more Dylanesque and thusly done.

I interpreted it as meaning a break through from unbelief to belief. I also assumed that the bootleggers knew what they were talking about!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 00:00 GMT 

In regard to the cover image there is a video on the homepage ( last link yesterday) with a great version of 'It ain't me babe', at the conclusion Dylan briefly raises his hands in a very similar gesture, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 00:11 GMT 

effort wrote:
I'm glad to see they got that right. "Break Through" was always a mistake on the part of some person(s) who obviously didn't recognize this particular Christian expression. Been discussed here a number of times over the years.

Yeah, but I always thought 'break through' was more Dylanesque and thusly done.
Mickvet wrote:
I interpreted it as meaning a break through from unbelief to belief. I also assumed that the bootleggers knew what they were talking about!

hanging in the balance of
the reality of man
a perfect finished plan

cover down
pray through
break through

it's both
it's ok
it's a folk song

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 00:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

man in the moon wrote:
On BD.com once you press the button to add the bonus discs to your cart you can delete the box set from the shopping cart so it just contains only the free bonus!

I've just ordered the bonus only and had to pay £2.10 for shipping. They've thanked me and confirmed my order!

Don't usually buy from this site because it's so expensive but no complaints about this! Will they honor it and if they don't will I get my £2.10 back?

I don't actually have a CD player anymore but couldn't resist this just to see if Sony come through!

They must've fixed it.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 01:16 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
I'd be a lot more excited about this release if the only available track thus far didn't have audio imperfections in the form of the backing vocalists (one in particular) being distorted at times. In fairness, I think the official download may be a bit clearer than the YouTube stream but still.... Even Budokan seems a lot clearer overall to my ears (based on a comparison from the remaster streaming on Spotify) and that predates it by a few years. I'm really hoping the Toronto and London shows are superior but if so, why not release a track from those show as the lead "single"?

Yes, that is one of the reasons I am waiting on purchasing the deluxe set. It's not worth spending that kind of money to get the 2cd freebie if the sound quality on the previously uncirculating material has problems. Will probably buy the deluxe set after confirming from the initial reviews that the new material is in good sound, and then hope that they release the bonus 1979 show as a standalone later.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 01:32 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
I really really hope it'll also be possible to purchase the DVD without buying the deluxe set :? Haven't been able to re-fill that Cutting Edge shaped hole in my pockets yet so this poor girl will almost certainly have to be satisfied with the 2 CD version :cry:
I'm hoping they release a standalone blu-ray, maybe with more bonus full performances.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 01:51 GMT 

The San Diego concert is very tempting, of course. Yet with the 8CD 1DVD box at $80 with free shipping from Amazon and the official "pre-order" price of $100 and $14 (?) shipping, that bonus concert would cost around $34. Money was better spent on sweet seats for the Chicago show. Don't you dare miss it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 02:00 GMT 

With regard to the purchase, I'm going with a buy of the Amazon MP3s and, eventually, an LP version along with a CD copy of the San Diego set if I can find someone selling it. I like the Deluxe Edition, but $180 is too much for me, particularly when I don't particularly care about the artifacts - all I want is the music. That said, I don't think they'll ever release a Bootleg Series entry that interests me more; I was sure they'd never release the gospel content due to the limited commercial appeal, but as a Christian I tend to find this period of Dylan's music particularly inspirational. I'm really, really pumped about November 3!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 03:17 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Does anybody know ANYTHING about:
Making a Liar Out of Me ????

It's a great title.

It's a sequel/answer song to "Ain't Gonna Go to Hell For Anybody".

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 03:29 GMT 

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
mystic garden wrote:
Dylan's sermons have been removed?! So disappointing!

I'm with Heylin in saying that removing the sermons removes some of the power in the performances. Sure, remove them on the compilation-type discs of 1 & 2, but if you're showcasing a complete show, the whole audio should really be there from beginning to end.

I think, along with some of the missing outtakes, that we at ER should try put together a 'complete box set' once it's released.

Don't know why everybody is so sure all sermons have been removed.
At that stage (as far as I have seen) we don't have durations of each track, only the tracklisting. A sermon may be hidden as an introduction to a song -which duration will be extended by 3 or 4 minutes. That was already the case on another live release with a long spoken intro about Blowin' in the wind and that English teacher wanting to understand his wrong hearing of the lyrics.
(Sorry I just cannot remember right now which release it was nor even what's the wrong word that teacher had heard).

Heylin's comment seems to indicate they have been removed, and he generally knows what's going on. I wonder if they'll be removed from the San Diego '79 show? I am guessing this is Dylan rewriting his history a bit, maybe embarrassed by the vehemence with which he embraced the gospel in his early fervor. Personally, though I am an Atheist, I have always enjoyed those sermons, and cherish my tiny book "Saved!"

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 03:44 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:
It's not limited, that's just marketing shtick. They won't even be pressed yet. They'll wait till the bulk of pre orders are in, then press as many CDs as is required.

This is all marketing shtick.
It reminds me of old TV commercials "LIMITED TIME OFFER! CALL NOW TO GET YOUR FREE DOUBLE-CD SET - HURRY!!! - WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! CALL NOW!!!!!!"

Basically, it's pay through the nose now, rather than feel you can wait and buy this when you can afford it, with the double-CD as the dangling carrot, or whatever you call it.
It's a horrible way for them to be selling it; it's overpriced anyway, and then this.
A real shame how they're marketing this.

"God is in Heaven and we all want what's his/but power and greed and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is"

I hate these "free" bonus discs where they milk you for whatever they can with it. It's deplorable.

Totally agree. It's unnecessarily divisive, too. If you're gonna offer extra discs, offer them to everyone, just at a relatively higher price. It's like buying a train fair in the UK: there are a 100 different ways of booking a ticket in order to get a "bargain"--I would rather one price for all, a price that is fair and reasonable, and you don't have to worry about you might be missing out on something or being ripped off etc.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 05:17 GMT 

So, let me get this right: Do I have to pay 200 dollars(!) in order to get the DVD?!?

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 05:54 GMT 

The prices are what they are, pay up or let it go by. In 12 months time they may have reduced. Dinner for two and a bottle of wine in a decent eatery can cost $100 here in Melbourne, all done and dusted in a couple of hours. The pleasure derived from BS 13 might last a little longer than that. Seems like something for nothing is everyone's plan.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 06:10 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
'Cover down, pray through'?

It's almost as bad as when people sing ''there's a woman on my left and she's drinking champagne''
The woman is most certainly on his lap.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 06:30 GMT 

they both exist,
people sing both,

it doesn't really matter
if you think it's right or bad

Last edited by juststepintothearena on Fri September 22nd, 2017, 06:59 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 06:39 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
The prices are what they are, pay up or let it go by. In 12 months time they may have reduced. Dinner for two and a bottle of wine in a decent eatery can cost $100 here in Melbourne, all done and dusted in a couple of hours. The pleasure derived from BS 13 might last a little longer than that. Seems like something for nothing is everyone's plan.

It's not a completely unreasonable price, but it does present a problem as 200$ is a lot to ask your partner so spring for for a christmas present.
But, let's be honest, I'll probably end up buying it myself long before that.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 07:02 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:

Don't I know it Hucky, I'm a Melbournite too. A quiet weekend will allow me the deluxe edition plus leftover change for another seperate record or two.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 07:06 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:

Inside the museums, there are travesties that we are told are modern 'art' and which are valued by so-called experts at untold millions of dollars, even though they are really not worth the cost of the varied materials that they are made from.

We are privileged to be able to obtain, if we wish, what Dylan is offering, true art indeed, for what is a very modest price. The saying about 'knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing' comes to mind.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 07:31 GMT 

bowsher wrote:
A few thoughts:

- Live 2CD set includes 2 versions apiece of Gotta Serve Someboday, Slow Train and Solid Rock - that's disappointing given the wealth of material that could have been substituted (I Will Love Him, Let's Keep it Between Us etc)

Just goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time. The fact that there's live stuff from 1979 and other tracks from Slow Train Coming means the difference for me between buying the 2CD set or ending up with nothing at all. I loved the album Slow train Coming but was not so keen on Shot Of Love or Saved so seeing those great songs from Slow Train being included makes all the difference to me. As I said on the Tour Rumours I'd be quite happy to see him ditch the American Songbook stuff and replace it with Gotta Serve Someboday, Slow Train, Solid Rock, etc - what a sensation that would be to see in the set lists!

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 09:37 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
as a Christian I tend to find this period of Dylan's music particularly inspirational.

As a Christian I was disconcerted, shocked and repelled by this kind of of religiousness. For me an unenlightened sort of spirituality showed up in his sermons and self-righteous and self-satisfied songs especially on Saved. Thanks God: Slow Train had some really great songs, that could be interpreted as odes to God but not only to God (and in lots of later shows it was obvious that the adressees of some songs could be a woman or the audience or the man himself). And thanks God again that this period ended with Shot of Love, where I could find again some really fantastic songs like Every Grain of Sand.
Of course it was not Bob but others, who made me say goodbye to organised Christianity about 1980.
But Bob presented in these times on stage all those attitudes that I disapproved all my life. So he had his part in my religious developement - not a good part.
As said above I came back to Bob with Shot of Love, but not to any sort of organised spiritual life.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 10:06 GMT 

[/quote]
I thought it was from Town Hall, but I don't think that's been released. Anyway, I know I've heard it, and the teacher thinks that the answer is to blow into the wind!
[/quote]

The teacher rap is from the 1963 Town Hall concert. You can hear it on the great CD Stolen Moments. You only need to hear it once though, enough is enough. I suspect if these rants were left on they would very rapidly become tiresome even to those of a mind to listen.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 11:25 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Huck27 wrote:

It's not a completely unreasonable price, but it does present a problem as 200$ is a lot to ask your partner so spring for for a christmas present.
But, let's be honest, I'll probably end up buying it myself long before that.

It will be interesting to see how well the deluxe edition sells. I thought Sony had settled on a formula for their deluxe BS editions with Basement Tapes Complete and the 6CD Cutting Edge -- i.e. 6CDs, one or two books with notes and photos, and a price point in the $100 - 120 range. The 9/11 disc Trouble No More seems a bit bloated and expensive to me, and I have a feeling that, as you say, it won't do as well among Christmas shoppers looking for something for the Dylan fan on their list. As a more than casual Dylan fan myself, I think I would be much more inclined to pick this up immediately if they had trimmed 1/3 of the discs and 1/3 off the price.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 11:56 GMT 

The teacher rap is from the 1963 Town Hall concert. You can hear it on the great CD Stolen Moments. You only need to hear it once though, enough is enough. I suspect if these rants were left on they would very rapidly become tiresome even to those of a mind to listen.[/quote]

Agreed. I also collect the Springsteen Archive releases and they include all his raps, as well as audience noise between encores etc and they really don't bear repeated listening and most often result in the track they precede, or are included in, getting skipped. Ideally I would have liked the raps for completist reasons, but as a separate track to the actual song. At the same time most of them are so barmy, not to say offensive, that there's no way they would have been sanctioned for release.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 12:26 GMT 

Now if Sony had included the Tempe, Arizona show (11/26), I would have pre-ordered in a hurry!
Fan/heckler: Rock-n-roll!"
Bob: "You rock-n-roll all your way down to the pit."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 58  Next