Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 11:16 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 10:51 GMT 

bowsher wrote:
A few thoughts:

- Live 2CD set includes 2 versions apiece of Gotta Serve Someboday, Slow Train and Solid Rock - that's disappointing given the wealth of material that could have been substituted (I Will Love Him, Let's Keep it Between Us etc)
- The studio selection is pretty paltry but it must be assumed they'll be illuminating, and of course in excellent quality
- The Oslo clip on YouTube kicks the bootleg into the tall grass - excellent sound
- Nice to see two (nearly) complete shows, but repeating the Toronto show that already circulates is a touch ungenerous to fans who will have been waiting for Buffalo for so long
- There are still some key tracks missing, such as the aforementioned Let's Keep It Between Us and the re-write of Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody, but we must assume therefore the fall 1980 shows are in less-than-optimal sound quality

It is a set less likely to appeal to the wider public than any previous Bootleg Series, so while I admire the chutzpah of producing such a niche set in the first place, it is a touch disheartening that Sony didn't address the issues above and make it a set for people that they assume already have some boots and a working knowledge of the era.

While the teaser When You Gonna Wake Up is in generally very nice sound, there is one concern - the backing singers vocals seem to be distorted to my ears which is a worry because got to be a fair chance it's amongst the best sq they have if they are using it as a promo.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 10:57 GMT 

Love it.

Pleased to see that are '79 live tracks included. That was when the light burned brightest and I was troubled it would be overlooked due to a lack of professionally recorded shows. Troubled no more.

Am I right to glean that it is 8 audio CDs and a DVD? EDIT: I understand that the DVD is the 1-hour documentary.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 11:19 GMT 

I was really hoping to have three versions or so of Carribean Wind in order to see it's evolution much like they did for Mississippi on Tell Tale Signs

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 11:27 GMT 

Looks like a strange lot thrown together. Are the live tracks soundboard? Or are sony using bootlegs again.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 11:35 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Looks like a strange lot thrown together. Are the live tracks soundboard? Or are sony using bootlegs again.

I suppose the London 81, is from 28 June. This show was recorded by Dylan crew. I don't know if this soundboard was in the hands of someone, the boots in circulation, two different sources, both are audience recordings.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 11:52 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
Am I right to glean that it is 8 audio CDs and a DVD? EDIT: I understand that the DVD is the 1-hour documentary.

Is this realy so, is it plus DVD ???

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 11:53 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
.... I suppose the London 81, is from 28 June. ...

definitely not, both the only 1981 appearance of "I Don't Believe You" and "Baby Blue" as the penultimate song point to June 27th, which has all the songs on discs 7 and 8, but all six London shows had "Dead Man" after "Girl from the North Country" (contrary to disc 7), so Live in London might be a mixture of the Earls Court shows

I also have noticed that the whole set contains "only" four tracks from Nov-Dec 1980, and "only" four tracks from Oct-Nov 1981

The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar (Live Nov. 13, 1980)
Caribbean Wind (Live Nov. 12, 1980)
City of Gold (Live Nov. 22, 1980)
Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Live Dec. 2, 1980)

Solid Rock (Live Oct. 23, 1981)
In the Summertime (Live Oct. 21, 1981)
Every Grain of Sand (Live Nov. 21, 1981)
Thief on the Cross (Live Nov. 10, 1981)

some more interesting stats:
41 out of 102 tracks on this set are from 1981
6 of the 8 discs of this set begin with "Slow Train"
the other 2 discs begin with 2 of the 6 versions of "Gotta Serve Somebody" included here

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 11:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

MrJudasPriest wrote:
bowsher wrote:
A few thoughts:

- Live 2CD set includes 2 versions apiece of Gotta Serve Someboday, Slow Train and Solid Rock - that's disappointing given the wealth of material that could have been substituted (I Will Love Him, Let's Keep it Between Us etc)
- The studio selection is pretty paltry but it must be assumed they'll be illuminating, and of course in excellent quality
- The Oslo clip on YouTube kicks the bootleg into the tall grass - excellent sound
- Nice to see two (nearly) complete shows, but repeating the Toronto show that already circulates is a touch ungenerous to fans who will have been waiting for Buffalo for so long
- There are still some key tracks missing, such as the aforementioned Let's Keep It Between Us and the re-write of Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody, but we must assume therefore the fall 1980 shows are in less-than-optimal sound quality

It is a set less likely to appeal to the wider public than any previous Bootleg Series, so while I admire the chutzpah of producing such a niche set in the first place, it is a touch disheartening that Sony didn't address the issues above and make it a set for people that they assume already have some boots and a working knowledge of the era.

While the teaser When You Gonna Wake Up is in generally very nice sound, there is one concern - the backing singers vocals seem to be distorted to my ears which is a worry because got to be a fair chance it's amongst the best sq they have if they are using it as a promo.

I hear that too. Once the band kicks in, the sound gets less clear. An album like Budokan has a fuller sound.

I'm surprised Heart of Mine, which is a concert clip from that era is not being featured, but I guess that's ok biograph.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:04 GMT 

BOB DYLAN - TROUBLE NO MORE: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 13 / 1979-1981 - DELUXE EDITION

TYPE OF MEDIA Video

APPROVED RUNNING TIME 87m 14s

RELEASE DATE 02/11/2017

BBFCINSIGHT brief references to violence

GENRE(S) Music, Performance

DIRECTOR(S) Jeniffer Lebeau,Ron Kantor

CAST INCLUDES Bob Dylan

CUT This work was passed uncut.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:20 GMT 

NEP wrote:

f***!
Is that a part of a sermon or a few lines in the lyrics :lol:

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:22 GMT 

Quote:
10 Caribbean Wind (Rehearsal with pedal steel)

Any ideas on this? Must be an uncirculated version, right?

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:25 GMT 

So is that the same documentary premiering at NYFF next week? Seems strange they'd go to the trouble of making a film and then only release it as part of an expensive limited edition boxset.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:35 GMT 

Maybe this documentary will be released seperatly out of the box !?

I´ll defenitly buy the deluxe box.

In about 5 weeks it´s mine.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:37 GMT 

I reckon it must be extended documentary. 87 mins...the run time at film festival is 60mins.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:43 GMT 

Loved it, this is the first Bootleg Series I'm actually interested in buying the Deluxe Edition. Unlike most of the people here, I have almost no interest in studio material. The two-cd compilation plus the two complete shows are pretty much what I wanted, can't ask for more. Hope to see the links for the physical releases asap!

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:43 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
... the whole set contains "only" four tracks from Nov-Dec 1980, and "only" four tracks from Oct-Nov 1981 ...

on the other hand 39 out of 102 tracks on this set are live performances from Nov.79 to May.80

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 12:48 GMT 

Sorry, i don't understand, can you order the 8 cd for £ 47.99 or this is the price Only for mp3s?

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:04 GMT 

gizeta wrote:
Sorry, i don't understand, can you order the 8 cd for £ 47.99 or this is the price Only for mp3s?

That price is for downloads not the CDs

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:06 GMT 

I'm afraid that's the mp3 price... would have been too good to be true :(

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:16 GMT 

bowsher wrote:
- There are still some key tracks missing, such as the aforementioned Let's Keep It Between Us

I'm really surprised/disappointed this one isn't on there. I love this song. The live version (I'm not sure on the date, it's a soundboard though--does anyone know the date ?) I have is incredible. A studio version must exist, right?

Plenty to like on this set though, just wish there were more studio outtakes.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:21 GMT 

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
NEP wrote:

f***!
Is that a part of a sermon or a few lines in the lyrics :lol:

He did get a bit book of revelations on us didn't he.
And some Leviticus thrown in for good measure.
Apparently when Allen Ginsburg told Dylan that god was a loving god,
he said ''yeah, and he's also a god of judgement too''

There's a lot of mad types raving on youtube that the second
coming of jesus is due on the 23rd of this month.
Dispute him not actually having the all important location
as prophesied to return to yet.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 

Jennifer lebeau is the director for this and the film festival documentary so im guessing its one and the same.

Call me greedy but since the big bootlegs, cutting edge and copyright releases, the thought of letting anyone pick out theyr own favourites for release, even more so with live performances, turns me off. But its all we are getting and im glad of the bootleg series in general.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
gizeta wrote:

That price is for downloads not the CDs

Thank You

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:33 GMT 

slimharpo wrote:
bowsher wrote:
- There are still some key tracks missing, such as the aforementioned Let's Keep It Between Us

I'm really surprised/disappointed this one isn't on there. I love this song. The live version (I'm not sure on the date, it's a soundboard though--does anyone know the date ?) I have is incredible. A studio version must exist, right?

Plenty to like on this set though, just wish there were more studio outtakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMGEVvCVHs

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 13:37 GMT 

I noticed most of the Shot Of Love sessions that circulate are not on this release. Also, the singles from that time plus odds and ends are not on it as well (Trouble In Mind, Take 7; Don't Ever Take Yourself Away; Let It Be Me; The Groom from the Bloomfield Box). I hope the outtakes and rehearsals are worth it. Because with just the tracklist I'm a bit disappointed since we already have a load of live performances from those years (all of them maybe?).

Also, if the dvd is just the documentary, that's a real shame since I was hoping for the buffalo show to surface in good quality (or at least an upgrade of the Toronto show). Maybe they consider it wasn't necessary anymore with the video bootleg Elite Series vol 40?

I'll still buy it, but I expected more. Also, as others stated, the cover is the worst of the bootleg series so far (and The Cutting Edge one was already a low-point). Don't they have better pictures from that time?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next