Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 20:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 14:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's not limited, that's just marketing shtick. They won't even be pressed yet. They'll wait till the bulk of pre orders are in, then press as many CDs as is required.

mannikaltz wrote:
Just to back up my point about exploitation: Import CD has the deluxe box set for 114,60 $

That's £88 after international shipping! :D :D

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:16 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Reminds me of the Complete Album Collection "taking advantage of the system" routine where you could get a remastered Hard Rain for free with a simple email to Sony about "problems with your disc"

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:23 GMT 

THANK GOD & BOB for bringing this out in our lifetime.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:36 GMT 

man in the moon wrote:
On BD.com once you press the button to add the bonus discs to your cart you can delete the box set from the shopping cart so it just contains only the free bonus!

I've just ordered the bonus only and had to pay £2.10 for shipping. They've thanked me and confirmed my order!

Don't usually buy from this site because it's so expensive but no complaints about this! Will they honor it and if they don't will I get my £2.10 back?

I don't actually have a CD player anymore but couldn't resist this just to see if Sony come through!

Brilliantly devious!

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:38 GMT 

Hi everybody. Just a question: is the deluxe edition from Bob's official site really limited? I'm asking this because I'm not already sure if I can afford it or not :D

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

samu_93 wrote:
Hi everybody. Just a question: is the deluxe edition from Bob's official site really limited? I'm asking this because I'm not already sure if I can afford it or not :D

Of course not

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
Thanks, that was my guess but not sure. Especially after checking and there is no Blowin' in the wind on the tracklisting, which confused me.
And please, what was the wrong understanding?

I thought it was from Town Hall, but I don't think that's been released. Anyway, I know I've heard it, and the teacher thinks that the answer is to blow into the wind!

Johanna Parker wrote:
WrittenInMySoul wrote:
The cover picture is just horrible, though...

He's doing a crucifixion pose. Messiah complex much.

It has that element, but the pointing fingers give it a bizarre showbiz aspect, too, like he's doing a quick Elvis impersonation or something. Combined with the stubble and shades and oddball it actually kind of fits in a strange way. I think I like it.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:50 GMT 

It's from Carnegie 1963 and, apart from a few tracks, that is yet to see a full release yet. The physical copy is currently selling for around £40, although there are mp3s available for download. I can't justify £40 for a five or six song sampler.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 15:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm excited about the release but a series of compilations instead of a full concert? One full show would have been spectacular. Compilations tend to be contrived and artificial... I'll try to remain open minded until I hear it. Maybe they'll surprise me.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:00 GMT 

TimeandTempo wrote:
thisisjohn wrote:
I'm praying that the bonus 2-disc live set will be pretty easily available to purchase on eBay. I would really rather buy from Amazon because 1) it's cheaper; with my employee discount, I'm only paying $172.05 2) it's faster; they will get it to me ON release date, not SHIP IT on release date and 3) they won't charge me till a few days before it ships and I need the time to save up for it.

I really want that bonus live set though. I know other bonus discs like Live At Carnegie Hall 1963 and In Concert: Brandeis University 1963 are easy and cheap to find, but I think those were general pre-order bonuses, not for just one store (BobDylan.com), so there might be less of them this time.

Off topic, but where at Amazon do you work?

Just a part time in one of the Prime Now warehouses.

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
mystic garden wrote:
Dylan's sermons have been removed?! So disappointing!

I'm with Heylin in saying that removing the sermons removes some of the power in the performances. Sure, remove them on the compilation-type discs of 1 & 2, but if you're showcasing a complete show, the whole audio should really be there from beginning to end.

I think, along with some of the missing outtakes, that we at ER should try put together a 'complete box set' once it's released.

Don't know why everybody is so sure all sermons have been removed.
At that stage (as far as I have seen) we don't have durations of each track, only the tracklisting. A sermon may be hidden as an introduction to a song -which duration will be extended by 3 or 4 minutes. That was already the case on another live release with a long spoken intro about Blowin' in the wind and that English teacher wanting to understand his wrong hearing of the lyrics.
(Sorry I just cannot remember right now which release it was nor even what's the wrong word that teacher had heard).
Didn't they say they were all removed in the Rolling Stone article?

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:13 GMT 

Pre-ordered from BD.com...
a little pricey, but what the hell. We live once.

This set looks fantastic. 10CDs and one DVD of incredible music and history coming my way in November I say.

Very happy about this.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I'm excited about the release but a series of compilations instead of a full concert? One full show would have been spectacular. Compilations tend to be contrived and artificial... I'll try to remain open minded until I hear it. Maybe they'll surprise me.

looks like it's both - two discs of compiled live tracks; two discs of studio stuff; four discs comprising two full shows

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

looks like it's both - two discs of compiled live tracks; two discs of studio stuff; four discs comprising two full shows

Rather: two discs of compiled live tracks; two discs of studio stuff; two discs of compiled tracks from 3 concerts in Toronto, two discs comprising one full show in London.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:51 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:

This set looks fantastic. 10CDs and one DVD of incredible music and history coming my way in November I say.

Very happy about this.

Just my sentiment.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:53 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
Don't know why everybody is so sure all sermons have been removed.
Didn't they say they were all removed in the Rolling Stone article?

You're right :
"None of these will be included on the set. "You had to be there at the time for those things to really work," says the Dylan source. "We wanted to find something that would be a little more dynamic."

I had wrongly understood that this statement only was about the movie.

Last edited by JeffreyLeePierre on Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:55 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 16:55 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
Rimshottbob wrote:

Very happy about this.

Just my sentiment.

Mine too, mine too! Can´t wait.
I was initially a bit disappointed only because I was hoping for more studio stuff, but the experts here say that with perhaps the exception of a great song or two, the rest that has been left out is dodgy or so so, which is fine with me. I´d rather have 2 CDs with first class stuff like Tell tale signs or Another self portrait, than 3 or 4 with ups and downs that eventually won´t get played that much.
And then there´s the 8 discs live stuff... *drooling*

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 18:05 GMT 

I´m listening now to my Toronto 20th april 1980 boot. I see that for BS 13 they´ve had the good sense of including When he returns and Solid rock from this show. 2 stunning performances. If they have remastered them nicely to get a full sound... When he returns hopefully with the organ a big higher on the mix; as for Solid rock, I hope they include the rap before the song, or at least the end of it when he starts saying how the antichrist will be defeated, and him and the band and backing chorus start warming up to the song until that monster riff kicks off... Bring it on, baby!

I would pay serious money for these 2 alone together with a couple good kick arse versions of Gotta serve somebody and Slow train, which I´m sure we will get since there are many different ones in the box.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 18:06 GMT 

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
Rather: two discs of compiled live tracks; two discs of studio stuff; two discs of compiled tracks from 3 concerts in Toronto, two discs comprising one full show in London.

Ah, I didn't realize that about Toronto. Thanks for the clarification.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 18:26 GMT 

I really really hope it'll also be possible to purchase the DVD without buying the deluxe set :? Haven't been able to re-fill that Cutting Edge shaped hole in my pockets yet so this poor girl will almost certainly have to be satisfied with the 2 CD version :cry:

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 18:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
'Cover down, pray through'?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 20:26 GMT 

'Dems the breaks

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 20:34 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:

I'm glad to see they got that right. "Break Through" was always a mistake on the part of some person(s) who obviously didn't recognize this particular Christian expression. Been discussed here a number of times over the years.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 20:52 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
It's not limited, that's just marketing shtick. They won't even be pressed yet. They'll wait till the bulk of pre orders are in, then press as many CDs as is required.

This is all marketing shtick.
It reminds me of old TV commercials "LIMITED TIME OFFER! CALL NOW TO GET YOUR FREE DOUBLE-CD SET - HURRY!!! - WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! CALL NOW!!!!!!"

Basically, it's pay through the nose now, rather than feel you can wait and buy this when you can afford it, with the double-CD as the dangling carrot, or whatever you call it.
It's a horrible way for them to be selling it; it's overpriced anyway, and then this.
A real shame how they're marketing this.

"God is in Heaven and we all want what's his/but power and greed and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is"

I hate these "free" bonus discs where they milk you for whatever they can with it. It's deplorable.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 20:55 GMT 

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
littlemaggie wrote:

I'm glad to see they got that right. "Break Through" was always a mistake on the part of some person(s) who obviously didn't recognize this particular Christian expression. Been discussed here a number of times over the years.

Yeah, but I always thought 'break through' was more Dylanesque and thusly done.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 21:59 GMT 

I'd be a lot more excited about this release if the only available track thus far didn't have audio imperfections in the form of the backing vocalists (one in particular) being distorted at times. In fairness, I think the official download may be a bit clearer than the YouTube stream but still.... Even Budokan seems a lot clearer overall to my ears (based on a comparison from the remaster streaming on Spotify) and that predates it by a few years. I'm really hoping the Toronto and London shows are superior but if so, why not release a track from those show as the lead "single"?

Last edited by MrJudasPriest on Thu September 21st, 2017, 22:23 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next