Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 20th, 2018, 09:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 63  Next
PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 18:22 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Yeah, San Diego. How come noone´s talking about it? Isn´t that supposed to be the crowns jewel on this release?

To be honest, my spot diagnosis of the San Diego discs is: Meh.
To me, the audio quality seems pretty bad, not much worse than some BS13 tracks, but somehow jarring it its quality. Like it's missing some power, some oomph.
Still better than a lot of the unofficial bootlegs from the era.
But what do I know?

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 23:47 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
wormington wrote:
Yeah, San Diego. How come noone´s talking about it? Isn´t that supposed to be the crowns jewel on this release?

To be honest, my spot diagnosis of the San Diego discs is: Meh.
To me, the audio quality seems pretty bad, not much worse than some BS13 tracks, but somehow jarring it its quality. Like it's missing some power, some oomph.
Still better than a lot of the unofficial bootlegs from the era.
But what do I know?

Are you so disappointed by it that you would be willing to sell it?

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 00:59 GMT 

Is the 79 show streaming anywhere or anything? I was hoping to at least hear some of it!

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 01:01 GMT 

I cannot for the life of me understand complaints about sound quality with this release. I have a pretty decent audio system and it all sounds phenomenal. It's live music sure, but there is clear separation of instruments and everything is clear with little to no distortion.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 03:08 GMT 

toilandblood546 wrote:
I cannot for the life of me understand complaints about sound quality with this release. I have a pretty decent audio system and it all sounds phenomenal. It's live music sure, but there is clear separation of instruments and everything is clear with little to no distortion.

Agreed. I've listened to a lot of live music, and this set sounds phenomenal.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 04:27 GMT 

I think SD '79 is good but not that much of an improvement over the Millard Santa Monica tapes or even last night at the Warfield.
Still good to have it though. (Not Selling!)

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 05:52 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
Are you so disappointed by it that you would be willing to sell it?

Sorry, no. It's still collectible ;)

But continuing the line of random thoughts on the release: 'Ballad of a Thin Man'... OMG!

belleseb32 wrote:
toilandblood546 wrote:

Agreed. I've listened to a lot of live music, and this set sounds phenomenal.

You mean the main release or San Diego?

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 07:11 GMT 

Gotta Serve Somebody (Take 1 - Slow Train Coming studio outtake) [Audio]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngXC2rAjFKA

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 16:59 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

You mean the main release or San Diego?

Oh, good point. I was talking about the set generally. Haven't listened to San Diego yet.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 17:21 GMT 

As many has noticed the 79 recordings all lacks punch and spark. This is clearly because of the preamps of the mixingboard used for the tour.
If you compare the sound and color of the recordings of each year in this release you will find that all sound very similar from year to year (since it was probably the same mixing board used for each year/tour.

Toronto '80 and London '81 sound far superior to any of the other live recordings since they remixed the multitracks for these. For all other it seems these were not available so only stuff for the sound engineer to work with was the mixedowns already done on the original tapes.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
As many has noticed the 79 recordings all lacks punch and spark. This is clearly because of the preamps of the mixingboard used for the tour.
If you compare the sound and color of the recordings of each year in this release you will find that all sound very similar from year to year (since it was probably the same mixing board used for each year/tour.

Toronto '80 and London '81 sound far superior to any of the other live recordings since they remixed the multitracks for these. For all other it seems these were not available so only stuff for the sound engineer to work with was the mixedowns already done on the original tapes.

Interesting. So far I have found it to be the other way around (haven't tried Toronto yet, though). I love the first 2 discs, but Earl's Court sounds sort of flat and muddy.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 18:07 GMT 

Discs 5 & 6 are the cream of the set based on first listen. I'm glad I went for the deluxe box rather than settling, as I was initially tempted, for the two disc version. I still have to watch the DVD, hopefully over the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 18:44 GMT 

There are some offer from people on eBay: they sell the San Diego concert the Bonus CD which they get when they order from Bob´s Website.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 

DCB wrote:
Discs 5 & 6 are the cream of the set based on first listen. I'm glad I went for the deluxe box rather than settling, as I was initially tempted, for the two disc version. I still have to watch the DVD, hopefully over the weekend.

But why chose they the version of Convenant Woman where Bob messed up the first line?

And why (Disc 7) changed they the order of the songs (at least according to Olof Björner and my boot from that day)?

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 20:44 GMT 

OK, its PRETTY good. I would have chosen other selections, but I'm nitpicking at this point. Overall, Discs 1 and 2 are a good overview, although there is a notable drop off in the center of Disc 2 (the selections from the latter half of Saved, Blessed is the Name of, and Shot of of Love...) until you plow through to the beautiful Every Grain of Sand.

Slow Train Coming is a great album with great songs. The rest of the era is hit or miss. Same deal on this live set.

I didn't pay the extra $100+ for 6 more discs.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 23:45 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
But why chose they the version of Convenant Woman where Bob messed up the first line?

And why (Disc 7) changed they the order of the songs (at least according to Olof Björner and my boot from that day)?

And why the version of When He Returns from Dec 1979 over the one from Seattle (January 15, 1980), where the audience is hanging on Bob's every word and the guitar playing is much better? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 01:46 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:

It's genuinely mystifying why this was picked over "Saved" from the same show, as others have noted. It's still a good version after that flub, of course, but just kind of baffling why "Saved" was not included (unless there were recording issues, of course).

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 08:37 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
DCB wrote:

I've been asking myself the same question. If they wanted to produce some sort of "best of" from this era, why did they include this messed up version? Or did they want to show that even Bob dylan sometimes makes mistakes (as if we didn't know that)?

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 11:22 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
h.egbert wrote:

It's genuinely mystifying why this was picked over "Saved" from the same show, as others have noted. It's still a good version after that flub, of course, but just kind of baffling why "Saved" was not included (unless there were recording issues, of course).

I've got a recording of Saved taken directly from the soundtrack of the remastered Toronto gig that used to be on YouTube. Very mild distortion at the beginning, but leagues ahead of some live stuff they've already released; it sounds pretty much as good as the rest does. I wonder if they're preparing a sneaky Toronto standalone release; including this, to make us all buy it again.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:59 GMT 

This is the problem with dylan live compilations, we have so much already (bootlegs), and we all have our favourites, at the start of the thread i questioned the fact we are all reliant on one or two"sony producers" to choose their favourite tracks.

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 05:44 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
This is the problem with dylan live compilations, we have so much already (bootlegs), and we all have our favourites, at the start of the thread i questioned the fact we are all reliant on one or two"sony producers" to choose their favourite tracks.

I admit I was griping about something like that with the 1981 show from this set. Personally, I think the performances were better towards the end of the year. Had they chosen to improve upon the already amazing New Orleans show I personally would have been ecstatic. But as someone else pointed out in this thread, we do already have a great bootleg of the concert (though I think it'll be officially released one day). Additionally, you could argue that the '81 shows are the least important part of the "gospel trilogy", and that the Earls Court are important and well known/loved shows. I warmed up to this show rather quickly though.

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 17:19 GMT 

You Changed My Life just isn't very good, is it?

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:

No.
It's not.

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 17:54 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:

No.
It's not.

Seconded. It´s a nice, feel good song, I believe dedicated to his then girlfriend, but by no means one of the highlights of the era

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 21:08 GMT 

Why on earth did "Ye Shall Be Changed" need to be included? I can't think of any plausible reason it would be included in this set. I mean, it's an okay song, but it was already released so what's the deal? Surely there was another unreleased song that could've taken its place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 63  Next