Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed June 20th, 2018, 09:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 63  Next
PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 14:21 GMT 

Why is it so hard to get things straight?

There is a song called "Blessed Is The Name" from Nov. 20, 1979 on Disc 2 and another on the San Diego Bonus CD called "Blessed Be The Name".

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 15:52 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:

There is a song called "Blessed Is The Name" from Nov. 20, 1979 on Disc 2 and another on the San Diego Bonus CD called "Blessed Be The Name".

Give them some slack, it's not like you paid $200 for the thing.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 15:54 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
critter wrote:

What's up with the aspect ratio?
I think it's Facebook's video player being weird. It's not like that on the DVD.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 16:17 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
FieldingMellish wrote:

What's up with the aspect ratio?
I think it's Facebook's video player being weird. It's not like that on the DVD.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:

Just a heads up: these are the same song. It's " Blessed Is The Name," as Dylan consistently sings that as the chorus. For a weirdly long time it was mixed up with an old song called "Blessed Be The Name", which you can find performed by Mississippi John Hurt.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 17:15 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
From the liner notes:

'[Ben] Keith came back for one other rehearsal that month [Sept 1980] where Dylan and band worked again on "Yonder Comes Sin", "Caribbean Wind" and "Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar", plus covers of Lowell George's "Willin'", Willie Nelson's "Sad Song and Waltzes", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", an old Irish Ballad called "Easy and Slow", a blues of unknown provenance entitled "Airplane", and Gordon Lightfoot's "I You Could Read My Mind", as well as a number of Dylan originals including "Every Grain of Sand", "Gotta Serve Somebody", "What Can I Do For You", "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking", "Let's Keep It Between Us" and "Fourth Time Around".'

When is this getting released?!?! :shock:

By the way, the band in question is basically Neil Young's Harvest-era Stray Gators plus Rolling Thunder Revue's T-Bone Burnett and David Mansfield.

Heylin talks about these sessions quite a bit in his new book, and it makes me super greedy for more. I don't think we knew about half of these covers before, but now I want them all, haha.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 17:26 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
Listening to these Toronto recordings, it strikes me that this is *the* great unreleased Dylan live album.

Keep calm and dont go ott :D

Maybe THE live gospel album, although i still think avingon sounds warmer. Toronto sounds awsome, he seems alot more laid back, more confident in singing these song than he does in 79, his phrasing and timing is spot on here. Do right to me baby is a great example.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 04:22 GMT 

Controversy around its titling aside, Blessed Is the Name (Nov. 20, 1979) utterly smokes. What a devastating lead guitar. Impassioned lead vocals. Backing vocals that go to 11. The whole deal. This is Fire and Brimstone Rock and Roll at its finest.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 10:52 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Maybe THE live gospel album, although i still think avingon sounds warmer.

Avignon is very good, but at least one of the guitars is out of tune for most of the concert, so that might be the reason why they didn't use it..

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 12:44 GMT 

.[/quote]

Keep calm and dont go ott :D

Maybe THE live gospel album, although i still think avingon sounds warmer. Toronto sounds awsome, he seems alot more laid back, more confident in singing these song than he does in 79, his phrasing and timing is spot on here. Do right to me baby is a great example.[/quote]

Maybe if they'd released the a full Toronto concert. Absolutely no need for a compilation from this stand. I'm in the camp of, while appreciative that we have anything from '79, and the sbds are preferable (to me anyway) to the audience recordings, they still aren;t great quality wise.
I love '81 and would've been happy to have as many full concerts from this year as possible. It's clear that the 8 track recordings are far superior to the '79 sbds also.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 17:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

A lotta great talk in this thread so far...and thought it my be about time to drop in 2 cents, perhaps preliminarily...in the middle of listening with virgin ears to this fantastic release.

Got mine, physically, back on Release Day, just as the Record Store opened, and then I jumped on a plane, knowing the Trouble No More Deluxe Box was safe & sound, awaiting future discovery.

So...today...was finally in a position to crack the plastic wrap, yeah!
Have listened to Disc 5 & 6, then 4 & now 3, so far. Love it!!!

General first-listen impressions, so far:

- Excellent quality...certainly way better sound-wise than expected.

- And the packaging is over-the-top, better than necessary, as well.

- Haven’t really poured over the book or read anything beyond the back cover of the box yet.

- Right at this very moment, inhaling Thief on the Cross.

- Enjoying the whole thing and even Jesus Is The One, though I am quite naïve about Christianity. Getting edu-mah-cated.

- Very happy with this and love the fact that there is no rush to put together EVEN MORE, for this incredible period in Bob Life.

- Trouble No More is certainly up there in top 20% of the best Bob Bootleg Series releases to date.

Hats off to Dylan, Inc. for this one! Definitely did NOT Make a Liar Out of You! Much appreciated!!!

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 18:12 GMT 

Is the "Genuine Bootleg Series" version of "Yonder Comes Sin" superior in audio quality to BS13...?

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 18:30 GMT 

Thief on the cross... Did or did not Neil Young steal the intro of that one for Rocking in the free world?

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 19:34 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Thief on the cross... Did or did not Neil Young steal the intro of that one for Rocking in the free world?

That would be One Hit To The Body by the Stones if anything.

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 19:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
A lotta great talk in this thread so far...and thought it my be about time to drop in 2 cents, perhaps preliminarily...in the middle of listening with virgin ears to this fantastic release.

Got mine, physically, back on Release Day, just as the Record Store opened, and then I jumped on a plane, knowing the Trouble No More Deluxe Box was safe & sound, awaiting future discovery.

So...today...was finally in a position to crack the plastic wrap, yeah!
Have listened to Disc 5 & 6, then 4 & now 3, so far. Love it!!!

General first-listen impressions, so far:

- Excellent quality...certainly way better sound-wise than expected.

- And the packaging is over-the-top, better than necessary, as well.

- Haven’t really poured over the book or read anything beyond the back cover of the box yet.

- Right at this very moment, inhaling Thief on the Cross.

- Enjoying the whole thing and even Jesus Is The One, though I am quite naïve about Christianity. Getting edu-mah-cated.

- Very happy with this and love the fact that there is no rush to put together EVEN MORE, for this incredible period in Bob Life.

- Trouble No More is certainly up there in top 20% of the best Bob Bootleg Series releases to date.

Hats off to Dylan, Inc. for this one! Definitely did NOT Make a Liar Out of You! Much appreciated!!!

Wow barefoot
great review. Thanks for posting
I preordered & waiting still ... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 19:48 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Is the "Genuine Bootleg Series" version of "Yonder Comes Sin" superior in audio quality to BS13...?

No BS13 is clearer to my ears-was listening out for that. Did you get your copy Anr?

PostPosted: Sun November 12th, 2017, 23:37 GMT 

Taking it very slow with this one. Why rush?!

So far watched the DVD, and listened to Toronto/Earls Court (yes, Im doing it back to front)
Just fantastic tbh.

Sound quality is an improvement over my boots and seeing Bob perform these songs really adds a totally new dimension. Many of us have been clamouring for video to be included in Bootleg Series releases and this is why. (Imagine TCE with 1965/1966 footage).

Very pleased that Europe '81 is getting more plaudits now. It has long been a favourite of mine (Birds Nest has been one of my favourite boots ever since I heard it).

A release to savour.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 01:04 GMT 

trouble no more - i'm saving up for that :) i've always loved those songs ... the new music is beautiful too!!

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 01:33 GMT 

Ordered the 2 volume set in mp3. Received the 8 CD set as a gift. I am so thankful I did. The Toronto show alone is essential listening, and there are too many amazing moments to list among the other discs as well. I'm actually more excited about this Bootleg Series than I have been since Tell Tale Signs. I didn't think it would happen, but Bob has swept me off my feet again.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 08:07 GMT 

Hang on! How many versions of "Gotta Serve Somebody" and one "Saved" (and it's not from Toronto)??

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 09:37 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Hang on! How many versions of "Gotta Serve Somebody" and one "Saved" (and it's not from Toronto)??

if you have San Diego in your set, you will have seven versions of "Gotta Serve Somebody", but also three versions of Saved, (Jan. 12, 1980, Nov. 28, 1979, plus the video from Buffalo on the DVD)
[the Toronto version of "Saved" would have been nice as well, and should have been included on disc 6]

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 11:28 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

I've listened to all the recordings of Saved in the deluxe edition; and not one of them is half of the version from April 20th in Toronto. It should be included as audio, or in the film, or even as a DVD extra. None of the above is just nuts - it's one of Dylan's best live recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSjM8B3ZquQ

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 12:24 GMT 

Having listened to all the discs a few times I've decided to take the back to front approach and concentrate on the Earls Court and Toronto discs first. The sound quality just makes the performances far easier to appreciate for me, then the relatively poor sounding sbds of discs 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 15:57 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

if you have San Diego in your set, you will have seven versions of "Gotta Serve Somebody", but also three versions of Saved, (Jan. 12, 1980, Nov. 28, 1979, plus the video from Buffalo on the DVD)
[the Toronto version of "Saved" would have been nice as well, and should have been included on disc 6]

Ok. 2 versions if you include San Diego. That's criminal neglience. It's such a powerhouse!

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 16:46 GMT 

Yeah, San Diego. How come noone´s talking about it? Isn´t that supposed to be the crowns jewel on this release?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 63  Next