Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 07:10 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 05:37 GMT 

Does anyone know the version of "Pressing On" on the bonus San Diego set includes the rare 3rd verse?

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 06:09 GMT 

No, it doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 09:40 GMT 

:lol: Pantomine season indeed.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 11:56 GMT 

I've only got the 2-disc version so far (Couldn't wait for the box to arrive so I finally found a CD shop in the Toronto suburbs)- it's a magnificent set so far. The highlights so far may be What Can I Do For You on Disc 1, and Pressing On for Disc 2, but each disc is chock-full of sweet surprises. His voice is remarkable on this set. Can't wait for the rest to arrive!

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 13:58 GMT 

I have to say I'm underwhelmed.

Maybe now I realize why the gospel era boots were never in heavy rotation, aside from 1981 (mostly for the non-gospel songs).

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 14:23 GMT 

ApocalypseKurtz wrote:
I have to say I'm underwhelmed.

Maybe now I realize why the gospel era boots were never in heavy rotation, aside from 1981 (mostly for the non-gospel songs).

Blasphemy!!!

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 16:17 GMT 

I'm still surviving on the youtube-videos, but does anyone know who is playing the killer solo at "When You Gonna Wake Up" (Drammenshallen)?

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 16:51 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I'm still surviving on the youtube-videos, but does anyone know who is playing the killer solo at "When You Gonna Wake Up" (Drammenshallen)?

Is that the version from July 9, 1981? The book says Fred Tackett is playing a "rocking guitar solo"

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 16:57 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

Is that the version from July 9, 1981? The book says Fred Tackett is playing a "rocking guitar solo"

That's it! Sort of blew my mind to hear a friggin' solo in there :lol:
I forgot there was a book aswell... What's it like?

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 

Does anyone know what happened to "Gotta Serve Somebody" from disc 2? My HD download says it's from June 27 1981, London. Which means that it's the same as on disc 7. When the box set was announced, the track listing said it came from a July date.

One of my favorite tracks so far is Pressing On from Toronto 1980. Just great! But so far I've only listened to Disc 3 & Live in London in full. There's still more to discover.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 17:26 GMT 

depp91 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to "Gotta Serve Somebody" from disc 2? My HD download says it's from June 27 1981, London. Which means that it's the same as on disc 7. When the box set was announced, the track listing said it came from a July date.

One of my favorite tracks so far is Pressing On from Toronto 1980. Just great! But so far I've only listened to Disc 3 & Live in London in full. There's still more to discover.

I don't have my books here with me, but D2-T3 is labeled on mine as July 15th, 1981.

Last edited by kuddukan on Tue November 7th, 2017, 17:35 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
That's it! Sort of blew my mind to hear a friggin' solo in there :lol:
It's nice; there's little write ups for all the tracks on disc 1-4. The photo book has an essay by someone who hated the Gospel years since 1979, but in preparation for listening to this release, finally sat through all three albums and then the full BS13 and has now converted to a Gospel fan.
depp91 wrote:

The book says: Gotta Serve Somebody (Bad Segeberg, Germany - July 15, 1981)

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:30 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
How do you find the Earls Court concert overall?
Many of us are quite familiar with the '81 tour. Some of these points are general regarding the tour..
-Bob&co stepped up their game with arrangements; the SLC material sounds edgier; Serve Somebody and Wake Up both rock a lot harder than previously.
-Dylan's approach to his vocal was higher register and a lot of syncopation. You can hear some reggae
influences (particularly Marley who had just died a month before) in both the arrangements & vocals.
Fact is though that the vocals here & there are pretty thin & reedy, partly because of how they are recorded.
-I feel the New Orleans November concert is probably on par. I think they did right to put London out instead, considering that many people have great boots of New Orleans.

Agree with some points here, particularly the higher register and reggae influences in Dylan's vocals, and the harder edged playing of the band. Personally, I think the '81 summer tour was the best Dylan had sung since the Rolling Thunder Revue. It's also one of the few times I agree with Heylin when he says that the vocal acrobatics of that tour blew out Dylan's vocals. This why I'm surprised people prefer the Fall tour, which doesn't come close to the Summer tour in my opinion. There are negatives; songs like Ballad of A Thin Man, Girl From The North Country, Forever Young and a few others from the sixties could probably have used a rest at this point. For me the Earls Court release is the highlight of the set.

The Earls Court discs were the only ones that I was interested in! It was my 1st Dylan show and although I have a boot from then it was fantastic to hear it sounding this good. I was surprised that they omitted the gospel intro songs sung by the backing vocals it it really set up the atmosphere for the show..... what are we getting tonight type of thing !! Remember there wasn' any way (to me at least) of reading of setlists etc prior to a show.... the feeling all around me at the gig was we'd HEARD of the gospel shows.....were we going to get one?...... thankfully no

Last edited by johnh on Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:32 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:31 GMT 

depp91 wrote:

I'm so looking forward to hearing that in full. The itunes clip sounds tremendous, and it already awesom in the circulating boot so it can only get better!

thisisjohn wrote:
It's nice; there's little write ups for all the tracks on disc 1-4. The photo book has an essay by someone who hated the Gospel years since 1979, but in preparation for listening to this release, finally sat through all three albums and then the full BS13 and has now converted to a Gospel fan.

Wasn't it Penn Jilette who wrote some, or all, of the book? Or am I off?

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:45 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Wasn't it Penn Jilette who wrote some, or all, of the book? Or am I off?
Yes, that's who wrote the essay in the photo book. The photo book also has a "producers would like to thank" section by Ben Rollins. The liner notes book has an introduction by Ben Rollins, an essay from Amanda Petrusich, and the track by track by Rob Bowman.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 20:34 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
That's it! Sort of blew my mind to hear a friggin' solo in there
depp91 wrote:

The book says: Gotta Serve Somebody (Bad Segeberg, Germany - July 15, 1981)
That's really strange. The 7digital website also claims it's from London and so does searchingforagem.com. I'll have to do a side by side comparison tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 22:04 GMT 

Some sort of earlyish impressions: Discs 1+2: Dylan's singing maybe committed in the '79/'80 shows but it also shows a lot of the weaknesses of the '78 tour; quite thin, nasally, whiney at times. The band's playing is also quite tentative, as may be expected. I don't hear the 'stunning' performances others do. The summer '81 recordings are a clear highlight for me. Dylan is in fantastic vocal form, and the band's playing is much more intense. It has nothing to do with the reintegration of the 60's material, for me anyway.
Discs 3+4: The rehearsals, although interesting to hear don't really stand up to repeated listens. I really like the Slow Train/Saved/Shot of Love outtakes/ alternate versions and it's great to have these, even if it does seem like Dylan made the right choices for the album, at least in the case of Slow Train and Saved. 'Yonder Comes Sin', is a great song; 'Making A Liar' is not.
Discs 5+6: Why not just release a complete Toronto recording? Apart from the fact that it leaves the door open for more full concert releases down the line.
Discs 7+8: Fantastic recording of a fantastic concert.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 22:10 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
'Yonder Comes Sin', is a great song; 'Making A Liar' is not.

I do think Yonder is far superior. Everytime I hear 'standing on the chair, standing on the table'
I have to smile.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 22:18 GMT 

Some excellent lyrics in there, certainly. Even more so than Infidels, Shot of Love had enough great material, or enough potentially great material to be a far stronger album than the one that was released.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 23:10 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
Discs 5+6: Why not just release a complete Toronto recording? Apart from the fact that it leaves the door open for more full concert releases down the line.

My reading of it is that Discs 5+6 include a reconstruction/extension of what they had originally intended to release in 1980, namely a live album compiled from the best of the Toronto shows.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 06:27 GMT 

That was only one disc though, and barely 45 minutes. At least what circulated was.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 06:44 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
but it also shows a lot of the weaknesses of the '78 tour; quite thin, nasally, whiney at times.

Rubbish. The vocals in '78 were pretty much consistently brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 09:11 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
bobfan wrote:

My reading of it is that Discs 5+6 include a reconstruction/extension of what they had originally intended to release in 1980, namely a live album compiled from the best of the Toronto shows.

And yet omitting Saved from the 20th (not on the CDs or in the film) simply beggars belief. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSjM8B3ZquQ

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 14:10 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
bobfan wrote:
but it also shows a lot of the weaknesses of the '78 tour; quite thin, nasally, whiney at times.

I like the '78 style of singing but by the tour's end Dylan's voice is shot, in my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 14:24 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
bobfan wrote:

Mostly rubbish. When Bob concentrated and sang quietly (some of The Times, Blowin in the Wind, and others) or played his one acoustic song (Gates of Eden) he sounded good. But the toured is marked by Bob's screaming yelping howl, like a dog in hea.

Conversely 1979-1981 has shown more restraint and attentive singing, especially 1979.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 55  Next