Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 18:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 02:44 GMT 

Got the two disc version , there was actually a deal for it at the store I went to so I bought it before the deluxe has arrived. Don't regret a cent of that purchase, even the standard version has wonderful live tracks and just make me more excited for the deluxe. Once that comes in I'm going to give the standard one to a friend of mine and try to convince him to give this era a go.

I'm so happy they did this!

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 05:07 GMT 

tomandshell wrote:
I am really enjoying this set so far. It has me wondering—are we past the point of ever getting another simple two disc Bootleg Series release? Do you think that they’ll only deal with releases that feature deluxe six to eight disc boxes from here on out?

I’d love to get a proper Supper Club release, but now it would have to fit within the context of a larger deluxe release with a marketable narrative. Volumes 11-13 have raised the bar, and I don’t see it getting lowered again.

I think you're right there. I think they will be all be three or more disks deluxe.
It does work very well as long as the prices don't go crazy.

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 07:32 GMT 

Im listening to the deluxe edition. Quite interesting to hear the first few discs where the songs are taken from many different concert. It gives us an idea of the quality of each concert recording.

I would wish there was an interview with Jeff Rosen or who ever has been in charge of the selections. For instance why is I Believe In You from Pittsburg 1980 the chosen version for the set? Did they listen to all version of each song ? How was the selection procedure? What is it that stands out for each particular version?

Any interviews or articles about this anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 07:45 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
tomandshell wrote:
I am really enjoying this set so far. It has me wondering—are we past the point of ever getting another simple two disc Bootleg Series release? Do you think that they’ll only deal with releases that feature deluxe six to eight disc boxes from here on out?

I’d love to get a proper Supper Club release, but now it would have to fit within the context of a larger deluxe release with a marketable narrative. Volumes 11-13 have raised the bar, and I don’t see it getting lowered again.

I think you're right there. I think they will be all be three or more disks deluxe.
It does work very well as long as the prices don't go crazy.

They could release Supper Club, Red Bluff and, say, Slovenia 1999 as a set? Bootleg Series Vol 14: Never Ending Tour

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 09:13 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
They could release Supper Club, Red Bluff and, say, Slovenia 1999 as a set? Bootleg Series Vol 14: Never Ending Tour

Supper Club is going to happen. ModBob is really due for a
bootleg actually. The inside word is that Blood & Thunder (how
about that for a title?) is going to be no14 as mid 70s has been
pushed back already. I'm looking forward to no14 though :D

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 13:31 GMT 

tomandshell wrote:

The complete Supper Club sessions would be 4 discs already. Add one or two DVDs with the video version and there's the deluxe edition. Then they would select the best versions and compile into a two-disc edition (19 different songs are performed in the four presentations, maybe they would fit in a single disc, though...).

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 13:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

tomandshell wrote:
...—are we past the point of ever getting another simple two disc Bootleg Series release? Do you think that they’ll only deal with releases that feature deluxe six to eight disc boxes from here on out? ...
Volumes 11-13 have raised the bar, and I don’t see it getting lowered again.

No doubt.
As long as it’s profitable, that’s where it will continue to go.
What a treasure-trove. I’m happy to stay on the Dylan, Inc. tithing list as long as they keep delivering high quality career retrospectives about Bob.

Not sure about the Utra/Mega/Super Deluxe/Behemoth sets that this may spur, but so far, so good!

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 14:04 GMT 

Is it just me or did they add overdubs to the live material?

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 14:27 GMT 

ApocalypseKurtz wrote:

which live material are you talking about (disc 1+2, disc 5+6 or disc 7+8)?
As far as I can see the stuff on disc 1+2 is just what came out of the soundboard – that's why it's sound so clean AND lacks power and dynamics (which are found on some of the bootlegs). On the other hand: The Toronto shows sound great (but that's just what it sounded like on the bootlegs)

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 14:46 GMT 

Got my deluxe set today and am currently listening to London 1981. Haven't listened to very much from 1981 yet, so this is new for me. Ballad Of A Thin Man sounds pretty good in the incarnation, I have to say.
The booklet says those 1981 shows were recorded on 8 track tape, that's why the sound is so much better than on the soundboards from 1979/80.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 15:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Very tempted to just make the purchase now... :? :? :?

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 15:45 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

Come on gibson just do it!!!!

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 15:45 GMT 

@bobdylan 4 minutes ago

Discover rare memorabilia from the period covered in ‘Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13/1979-1981’:

http://troublenomore.bobdylan.com

pretty cool stuff

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 15:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

kuddukan wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

You're a bad man, Kuddukan. Bye bye £120...

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 16:17 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Im listening to the deluxe edition. Quite interesting to hear the first few discs where the songs are taken from many different concert. It gives us an idea of the quality of each concert recording.

I would wish there was an interview with Jeff Rosen or who ever has been in charge of the selections. For instance why is I Believe In You from Pittsburg 1980 the chosen version for the set? Did they listen to all version of each song ? How was the selection procedure? What is it that stands out for each particular version?

Any interviews or articles about this anywhere?

No interviews so far but you never know. Rosen might get interviewed in RS or something and we might get some new tidbits.

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 17:31 GMT 

Dead Man, Dead Man [Outtake] from Disc 4 makes this song enjoyable for once. Great outtake. I'm just now getting through the end of disc 4, I haven't listened to discs 5-8 yet....

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 17:34 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Big thumbs up!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 17:35 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Dead Man, Dead Man [Outtake] from Disc 4 makes this song enjoyable for once. Great outtake. I'm just now getting through the end of disc 4, I haven't listened to discs 5-8 yet....
This is one of the two tracks that won't play for me since disc 4 has glue on it... :/ Amazon says a replacement set will be here by Thursday.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 18:16 GMT 

slewan wrote:
ApocalypseKurtz wrote:

which live material are you talking about (disc 1+2, disc 5+6 or disc 7+8)?
As far as I can see the stuff on disc 1+2 is just what came out of the soundboard – that's why it's sound so clean AND lacks power and dynamics (which are found on some of the bootlegs). On the other hand: The Toronto shows sound great (but that's just what it sounded like on the bootlegs)

I've just been listening to 1 and 2 ... more background singers than i recalled from the boots...

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 18:29 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

This is Trouble-you've just given in to temptation!

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 20:10 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
tomandshell wrote:

I guess I don't understand. Why does the Supper Club need to be officially released? Why would Red Bluff or Slovenia need to released? Those are already available in excellent sound quality. Seems like a waste of a Bootleg Series entry to me. I'd rather they officially release something that isn't already available in great audio quality. Maybe I'm missing something...

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

dpam wrote:
four-armed phone wrote:
Probably that's also why The Never-Ending Tour has been neglected so far in the Bootleg series. There's no obvious "story" to it.

Very interesting point. Look at all the press, which likely drives a huge percentage of the revenue, and the "born again phase" story of this release or the great history of Basement tapes or the 'revival' of Self Portrait - without those huge angles they wouldn't get the major stories and therefore business would be much less worth the huge packaging effort. Never thought about that side of it.

Guess it's Blood on the Tracks next....

They could certainly do a more modestly packaged series of LIVE NET shows (outside the Bootleg Series) and we'd all buy them (assuming quality upgrades).

I wonder if they could package a "Reinventions" story for an NET set. Focus on older songs (60s and 70s, mostly famous songs) that sound very different in more recent performances. That would give the press enough of an angle to write about it I think, the idea that Bob is already reinventing his iconic songs in a way almost none of his peers do. Because I'm sure you're right that press does sell a lot of the sets.

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 

I have a question about the DVD -- I understand that the performances in the film are all from Buffalo and Toronto. Are the DVD extras from those two shows as well?

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 04:30 GMT 

With apologies for interrupting the discussion, but I posted this at another forum too and was hoping a kind soul could help me out with this...

Several of my discs arrived scratched in my box set (very aggravating after the wait and the cost). Dealing with customer service or an exchange will probably be a headache. I've listened though and fortunately don't think the scratches have affected the playback, but wanted to make sure in a couple of areas that jumped out... Would someone mind checking and let me know if they hear the same thing on:

Groom's Still Waiting (Disc 2, Track 14) at around the 0:23 mark: Around the last part of the word "overworked" -- sounds like a tape glitch... do others hear it?

Stand By Faith (Disc 3, Track 11) at around the 2:17 mark: Sounds like a brief tape dropout after one of the ladies says "you like what we were doing?" Just want to make sure someone else can hear it, in case it's actually a damaged disc.

Caribbean Wind (Disc 4, Track 10) at around the 5:06 mark: I hear something between "and the" and "distant ships"... this is probably a stretch, and probably some kind of instrument.

I'm being kinda paranoid, I think, as disc scratches probably don't even sound like the above, but the scratches look very noticeable and I just wanted to make sure in case I need to contact customer service. I'd appreciate if someone's able to confirm. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 05:16 GMT 

mikepierce wrote:
I have a question about the DVD -- I understand that the performances in the film are all from Buffalo and Toronto. Are the DVD extras from those two shows as well?

Interested in this as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 55  Next