Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 22:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 17:26 GMT 

wormington wrote:
But it´s not just about the CDs, it´s about the whole package, like I said above.
It´s about putting that box somewhere on a shelf and drooling at the look of it every time you pass (although in this case the cover is not so appealing, but still).
I´m very fetichist, I admit. Possibly a sucker too. And a very happy one right now

all cds have a booklet, you won't say you want to pay more because of this.
a 9 cd/dvd box has a bigger booklet (a book), why do you want to pay for this more than for 9 booklets?

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 17:29 GMT 

Just pre-ordered the Deluxe set off bd.com. Like others have said, the added San Diego show was a clincher for me. Very excited to explore this period of Dylan's career again, although I can totally understand why some people don't like this period. I didn't like it at first. For me the religious aspect of the music was always a barrier, but as my musical tastes expanded and I was exposed to gospel music from other artists, my opinion on the era changed. His live band back then was awesome, and I hope the sound quality is as good as the performances. Slow Train is one of my favourite lesser known Dylan tracks, so to have 6 versions is really cool. For the record, I really like the cover art. My only gripe with the set is that the concert film is on DVD and not Blu-Ray. Other than that, it looks like those of us who enjoy this period of Dylan's music are in for a treat!

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 

paid in blood wrote:
How did you react to the October 5, 1978 date for the Slow Train soundcheck. Couple months earlier than last known.
It indeed was slowwwww.

:shock: History needs to be rewritten!

I knew about Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others) being played on December 16, 1978, but this is crazy. I guess I'll listen to the fall 78 bootlegs with a different mindsets now.

Shouldn't this set be called "...1978-1981"?

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 17:42 GMT 

Berrie wrote:
I just ordered "Trouble no more" from the official Bob Dylan store. I did that without creating an account. But I did so after the order was confirmed and I received an email to confirm my order. I hope this won't cause any trouble?
Shipping costs ("trackable courier service") were quite high: € 28! (which makes a total amount of € 197.99) :shock:
Also when I was going through the ordering process, they didn't mention the exclusive San Diego cd. There wasn't an option to get the San Diego cd. Did I do something wrong? I hope I'll get the extra cd, because that's what made me buy "Trouble no more" from the official BD store.

Same with me (from Germany). I sent them an email. They will send me a personal response within 1 day.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 17:43 GMT 

I think if I get this, I might go for the 4 LP set--it seems to have the content I'm most interested in. I'm just not sure if I'd listen to it. It doesn't look like the set contains many new songs for collectors (but I am guessing some of these may be different takes/better quality than what is currently circulating). Even at the height of my Dylan fandom 20 years ago I wasn't really into this period. I'm less engaged now. I'm glad this is out there, but definitely a thinker for me.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 17:55 GMT 

Yeah, that slow train soundcheck date immediately stuck out. I thought about the cross in San Diego story and said gee...this seems to predate that in my dylan calendar mind. Ha. I think religion has always been there. It was just easier to come out with it at this point. I'm sure his backup singers played a much bigger part in dragging this out of him. Not saying the cross story is bogus but it definelty didn't start there.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't see why getting religion would stop Dylan from telling whatever story served his purposes best. Maybe he was handed that cross while working as a runaway carny in 1956, or maybe he didn't get it until Locarno 1987. His singing makes me believe he got it, though, and nothing else matters much.

Kark wrote:
Very disappointing that City Of Gold isn't on the reasonably priced 2 cd version. One of the best songs from the period.

I agree, and Thief on the Cross as well, plus Yonder Comes Sin and Caribbean Wind (assuming it's as good as ought to be, if they excluded the take we know from boots).

These are all songs that hardcore Dylan fans have been playing to the uninitiated for years, to miss the chance of spoonfeeding them to the public with great sound quality seems like a lost opportunity. Isn't one aspect of these releases to give the general public the "good stuff" that fans so often bemoan them missing out on with the official releases? I'm sure it will be a good listen, though, and given that so little live stuff from this era has been released it will probably make an impression regardless.

Nearly $20 per disc on a set like this is a high price. Not that the music isn't worth it, of course, but as others have noted it's quite pricey compared to other recent Dylan releases (which are already more than many artists big boxes). I wonder if they did some market research and found that most people buying the deluxe sets will still buy them at a higher price, and the rest will find some other way to obtain it. They aren't fools when it comes to maximizing profit. "Baby boomers have lots of cash" seems to be the motto. Unfortunately, I am neither boomer nor in possession of $175 to spend on myself.

Last edited by smoke on Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:02 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:02 GMT 

The Rolling Stone article says That the first Slow Train on the set is instrumental, so it could be that he hadn’t been struck by the spirit with the words yet... he had written the music, then had the cross experience, then wrote the words

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:03 GMT 

Vinyl or deluxe? I can't decide.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:04 GMT 

totally..agree...his singing makes me believe...and that is all that matters.

the stories...are campfire kindle

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:10 GMT 

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but something to note is "Don't Ever Take Yourself Away", a Shot Of Love outtake, was released on the Hawaii 5-0 soundtrack in 2011 and is not included in this bls.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:14 GMT 

Jal015 wrote:
Vinyl or deluxe? I can't decide.

The correct answer is both. For now I´m buying the Deluxe. But possibly at some point in the future when the prices go down the vinyl will follow

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:23 GMT 

Also, the deluxe version is about $100 cheaper on iTunes. Additionally, I have not seen anyone mention that you ALSO get Live In San Diego 1979 if you preorder the deluxe version from bobdylan.com

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:26 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
... I have not seen anyone mention that you ALSO get Live In San Diego 1979 if you preorder the deluxe version from bobdylan.com

you would have to go to the middle of page 3 of this thread to see me mention it, several hours ago, minutes before I ordered it :wink:

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 18:34 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
After I saw the initial artwork this morning I was a little bit nervous, but now after seeing the gorgeous vinyl set I'm sold. To the top of the Christmas list it goes!

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:04 GMT 

there was a mistake obviously in the track lists from amazon and the Best Classic Bands article this morning, where disc 2 track 3 reads "Gotta Serve Somebody (Live June 27, 1981)", which would make it a duplicate to disc 7 track 1

the bd.com track list from this afternoon however has for disc 2 track 3 "Gotta Serve Somebody (July 15, 1981)", which would be the version from Bad Segeberg

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:15 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
Senyor Timbaler wrote:
.... I suppose the London 81, is from 28 June. ...

definitely not, both the only 1981 appearance of "I Don't Believe You" and "Baby Blue" as the penultimate song point to June 27th, which has all the songs on discs 7 and 8, but all six London shows had "Dead Man" after "Girl from the North Country" (contrary to disc 7), so Live in London might be a mixture of the Earls Court shows ...

this would need to be corrected, as this morning I had only checked http://hisbobness.info/ at work, but meanwhile here at home I have checked the two versions on my hard drive, and the sequence for June 27th is indeed the one as on disc 7, and the text files even say:

08 - Dead Man, Dead Man --- Olof has "Ballad Of A Thin Man" here.
09 - Girl From The North Country
10 - Ballad Of A Thin Man --- Olof has "Dead Man, Dead Man" here.

Besides, the more detailed track list on http://www.bobdylan.com/news/bob-dylan- ... ovember-3/ published this afternoon also has "Live in Earl’s Court – London – June 27, 1981" for discs 7 and 8

The Live in Toronto 1980 "show" however on discs 5 and 6, with seven tracks from 18/04, another seven tracks from 19/04, and four tracks from 20/04, will get something like the "The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue" treatment from 2002.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:23 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Berrie wrote:
I just ordered "Trouble no more" from the official Bob Dylan store. I did that without creating an account. But I did so after the order was confirmed and I received an email to confirm my order. I hope this won't cause any trouble?
Shipping costs ("trackable courier service") were quite high: € 28! (which makes a total amount of € 197.99) :shock:
Also when I was going through the ordering process, they didn't mention the exclusive San Diego cd. There wasn't an option to get the San Diego cd. Did I do something wrong? I hope I'll get the extra cd, because that's what made me buy "Trouble no more" from the official BD store.

Same with me (from Germany). I sent them an email. They will send me a personal response within 1 day.

What do you mean? That you also ordered "Trouble no more" before creating an account or that it wasn't mentioned in the ordering process on bd.com that the San Diego cd was included or both?

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:30 GMT 

Berrie wrote:

What do you mean? That you also ordered "Trouble no more" before creating an account or that it wasn't mentioned in the ordering process on bd.com that the San Diego cd was included or both?

That there was no option to get San Diego (Someone wrote that there would be a promt to order it along with the regular box), but mentioned it was/is.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:32 GMT 

Is it known where the rehearsals took place?

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
I don't see why getting religion would stop Dylan from telling whatever story served his purposes best. Maybe he was handed that cross while working as a runaway carny in 1956, or maybe he didn't get it until Locarno 1987.

He was certainly wearing a cross onstage by late '78. Someone else can probably find the date it first appeared.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:37 GMT 

Not to mention Senor and the rap before its performance in Charlotte 78. He was definitely drinking the kool aid by that time.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:38 GMT 

I want this, but £150 is taking the piss.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:52 GMT 

Trouble No More is also available on PledgeMusic.com. Price for deluxe set is $125 (+ $30 for shipping to Europe)

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 19:57 GMT 

So, is there any essential stuff that in your opinion has been inexplicably left out?
I´m thinking mostly of new songs (studio outtakes), not so much live versions or alternate takes of well known songs...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next