Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 09:26 GMT 

Slow train soundcheck 1978 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXHFJWcDuPw

One has to wonder how much material they have in this level of soundquality. Must be a lot I would guess :-S

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 10:41 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:

One has to wonder how much material they have in this level of soundquality. Must be a lot I would guess :-S

In a negative or positive way? I’m asking this because I can’t say if the quality of this track is either great or just average. And I’m not sure if I’m going to buy the deluxe edition (200€ in total) or just the standard one. The songs quality is the real discrimination to me... Because I love the material, as everything Bob has ever done.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 12:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not great sound quality, and not that interesting a performance. Is this box really worth £150? (Given that we have most of the best stuff in soundboard quality anyway?)

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 13:54 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

Not great sound quality, and not that interesting a performance. Is this box really worth £150? (Given that we have most of the best stuff in soundboard quality anyway?)

It's revelatory. I've got some gripes about the choices made for this set (such as why there isn't more studio material), but the decision to include pre-Slow Train Coming material like this was brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 13:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

mojofilter wrote:
It's revelatory. I've got some gripes about the choices made for this set (such as why there isn't more studio material), but the decision to include pre-Slow Train Coming material like this was brilliant.

Oh shit :shock: I never read the date! I thought it was 1979. This is revelatory!

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 14:24 GMT 

A pre take of Slow Train before Slow Train. IIRC, Bob did this a couple times during the world tour [playing material before it’s release]

Lyrics need some work. A lot of work to win a Grammy.

Capital Centre
Largo, Maryland
5 October 1978

1. My Back Pages
2. I’m Ready (Willie Dixon)
3. Is Your Love In Vain?
4. Shelter From The Storm
5. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
6. Tangled Up In Blue
7. Ballad Of A Thin Man
8. Maggie's Farm
9. I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
10. Like A Rolling Stone
11. I Shall Be Released
12. Going, Going, Gone
13. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)
14. It Ain't Me, Babe
15. Am I Your Stepchild?
16. One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below)
17. Blowin' In The Wind
18. Girl From The North Country
19. Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
20. Masters Of War
21. Just Like A Woman
22. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
23. All Along The Watchtower
24. All I Really Want To Do
25. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
26. Forever Young
27. Changing Of The Guards
28. The Times They Are A-Changin'

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 14:27 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
1. My Back Pages
2. I’m Ready (Willie Dixon)
3. Is Your Love In Vain?
4. Shelter From The Storm
5. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
6. Tangled Up In Blue
7. Ballad Of A Thin Man
8. Maggie's Farm
9. I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
10. Like A Rolling Stone
11. I Shall Be Released
12. Going, Going, Gone
13. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)
14. It Ain't Me, Babe
15. Am I Your Stepchild?
16. One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below)
17. Blowin' In The Wind
18. Girl From The North Country
19. Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
20. Masters Of War
21. Just Like A Woman
22. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
23. All Along The Watchtower
24. All I Really Want To Do
25. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
26. Forever Young
27. Changing Of The Guards
28. The Times They Are A-Changin'

Wow!
What a setlist!

Has he finally dumped all that Sinatra crap?

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 14:31 GMT 

The set list was Sara’s doing. What did he name the tour? The world tour came about to pay for Bob’s 40 million dollar divorce.

I’d pay 3 figures to see a show like this today :)

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 15:08 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:

My first show was later that month at the Chicago Stadium. My ticket cost $8.50. Nearly identical set list, although we got "To Ramona." Such a night! Looking forward to the October 27th concert here in the Windy City.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 15:21 GMT 

samu_93 wrote:

In a negative or positive way? I’m asking this because I can’t say if the quality of this track is either great or just average. And I’m not sure if I’m going to buy the deluxe edition (200€ in total) or just the standard one. The songs quality is the real discrimination to me... Because I love the material, as everything Bob has ever done.

Meant positively actually. Sound is great considering its a soundcheck for a random tour date on a tour 39 years ago!!! If they got shows and soundchecks in this quality for all dates - having access to it would be amazing!!

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 16:31 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
The set list was Sara’s doing. What did he name the tour? The world tour came about to pay for Bob’s 40 million dollar divorce.

I saw him a few days earlier at MSG. Glad to know my money helped him out of a jam (I guess).

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 16:45 GMT 

This early version of Slow Train is not yet a religious/political song here, IMO.
More like a generic blues with dummy lyrics in the verses, but the chorus is already done.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 17:06 GMT 

twistedpin wrote:
This early version of Slow Train is not yet a religious/political song here, IMO.
More like a generic blues with dummy lyrics in the verses, but the chorus is already done.

Yes that's what I was thinking too, sounds just like a first draft blues tune. Even Slow Train Coming
the song is only gospel in the context of the album. There's little overt christian content in there,
which is easy to forget. Just the 'are they lost or found' line and fools 'trying to manipulate Satan'
and 'non believers talking in the name of religion'. Otherwise it's politics and social commentary.
Do Right To Me Baby btw was also written in 1978.
Verse 2 here actually reminds me of Cover Down, Pray Through musically. I love it, heard about this
soundcheck years ago, such a treat to hear it!! Dylan sounds pretty excited about his new tune.
We can expect at least one more before Nov 3rd.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 19:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

This release and Bootleg Series 8 are the only two that the Deluxe release with all the bells and whistles has had any appeal to me. The more I look at it, the more I want everything on this one. I haven't bothered with any since Tell Tale Signs so part of me says use some of the money I saved and get this... you deserve it.

The voices in my head are usually right...

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 19:47 GMT 

I've waited for this to become part of the Bootleg Series for so many years but I'm crying in my soup because there's just no way I can afford £146 for the CD/DVD set. Shame 'cause this really was the one for me. have to start doing the lottery.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 02:52 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
This release and Bootleg Series 8 are the only two that the Deluxe release with all the bells and whistles has had any appeal to me. The more I look at it, the more I want everything on this one. I haven't bothered with any since Tell Tale Signs so part of me says use some of the money I saved and get this... you deserve it.

The voices in my head are usually right...

This is the attitude I took with Big Blue, and I don't regret it one bit. These bootleg series releases are the one big ticket item I purchase just for myself each year, and I went for the deluxe/collectors edition for the last three.

This release however is not as interesting to me as I am not as big a fan of gospel era Bob, and the clips they have released so far have not impressed me enough to make the expense seem worthwhile. If they had reduced the scope of the set to get the cost down to the US $100 range I would have picked it up immediately. As it is, it just seems like too much from an era that I have limited interest in, and I expect the two disc set will be enough for me.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 03:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

The material on the studio discs makes the deluxe purchase necessary for me, at some point anyway. Which seems a little devious on Dylan Inc.'s part since they surely understand that fact very well. I'm damn glad to have it available at all, though. Right now, more than anything, I need to scrap some cash together to get to his Chicago show in a few weeks...What a great problem for a Dylan fan to have!

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 04:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

twistedpin wrote:

I agree, yet a Slow Train Coming almost has to be a religious event (unless one is simply running late), just as he said to Stud Terkel something about how Hard Rain wasn't about nuclear fallout but some of kind of end that just had to happen. He said later that he believed in the songs. Maybe his own songs led him somewhere.

Or maybe it was just a catchy phrase that he repurposed after conversion.

At any rate, it's an interesting early version but not something I'll listen to that often. The sound wasn't spectacular but good enough to make one drool at the thought of large swaths of his touring career documented like this.

I can't wait to see the movie, I hope it plays the art house circuit so some of us Chicago hicks can see it.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 11:01 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I agree, yet a Slow Train Coming almost has to be a religious event (unless one is simply running late), just as he said to Stud Terkel something about how Hard Rain wasn't about nuclear fallout but some of kind of end that just had to happen. He said later that he believed in the songs. Maybe his own songs led him somewhere.
Or maybe it was just a catchy phrase that he repurposed after conversion.

I think we feel that in retrospect, but train symbolism is all over blues & rock 'n roll.
The golden gate quartet had a Gospel Train in the 30s but not many people know that one.
It's mainly Tharpe's 'This Train' and 'People Get Ready', which Bob was bound to be
familiar with, that puts them on the gospel map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0gVkz1E84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKEbnS1eBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxVExh1ULI

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 13:40 GMT 

I'll skip this one, I'm not a fan of the Christian doctrines, I get preached to enough.
Being agnostic I'll have to wait, haven't bought any Bob since Tempest.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 18:26 GMT 

Floorbird wrote:
I'll skip this one, I'm not a fan of the Christian doctrines, I get preached to enough.
Being agnostic I'll have to wait, haven't bought any Bob since Tempest.

I completely understand this point of view. I spent way too many forced hours in church as a kid, and accidentally landing on the modern Christian radio station (do these exist in Europe?) for even 5 seconds makes me groan and roll my eyes. For some reason it’s different with Bob Dylan for me. I very much enjoy this period, especially live ROIO (thanks Les Kokay). I don’t splurge often but I’ve preordered from the official website and am looking forward to it, San Diego most of all.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 18:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Got my ticket to see the film on Sunday in NYC. See y’all there.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 21:57 GMT 

Wow, the new preview track is very cool! I'm impressed that they were taping soundchecks at this level of quality, and the historical significance of an effectively pre-Christian version of the song (while still largely but not entirely pre-lyrical) is fascinating. Can't wait for the whole package!

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 02:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

If I remember correctly, Do Right to Me, Baby was played prior to the release of Slow Train Coming. For a long time I've said (and posted hERe) that Changing of the Guard, the final song on Street - Legal was a signal that a major shift was coming and then his Christian albums came out and for a year or so he refused to play any of his previous material.

This was planned in advance and he pulled it off. His faith struggles and conversion appear to be over a period of time rather than a sudden, single, transformative event. And I still think there was a woman involved.

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 03:03 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
If I remember correctly, Do Right to Me, Baby was played prior to the release of Slow Train Coming. For a long time I've said (and posted hERe) that Changing of the Guard, the final song on Street - Legal was a signal that a major shift was coming and then his Christian albums came out and for a year or so he refused to play any of his previous material.

This was planned in advance and he pulled it off. His faith struggles and conversion appear to be over a period of time rather than a sudden, single, transformative event. And I still think there was a woman involved.

His faith struggles may indeed have been over a period of time, and the imagery on Street-Legal does anticipate his conversion in some intriguing ways--not only "Changing of the Guards" (which is the first song on the album, not the last), but "Señor" and, weirdly, "New Pony." But I don't see any reason to doubt that the conversion itself was quite sudden. He himself dated it to November 19, in Tucson, when he experienced a vision of Christ, two days after someone had thrown a cross on stage. You can be skeptical about visions, but the timing at least makes sense. It was only sometime after that date that topless waitress in "Tangled Up in Blue" starts quoting the Bible instead of a thirteenth-century Italian poet. And it wasn't until the last show of the tour, on December 16, that he performed "Do Right to Me Baby." When he rehearsed "Slow Train Coming," destined for his first Christian album, in October, it wasn't yet a Christian song. When he performed "Do Right to Me Baby," which would also turn up on that album, it was in pretty much its final, Christian form. Without any more evidence to go on, I'd believe the man when he says his conversion happened between those dates.

I think it's understood that there was a woman involved, considering that's pretty much what he says in song after song: "Precious Angel," "Covenant Woman," "In the Summertime," for example.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 58  Next