Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 23rd, 2018, 06:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 14:47 GMT 

According to the Neil Young biography “Shakey” by Jimmy McDonough (2002), Dylan plays piano on the song “Danger Bird” released on Neil Young’s 1975 album “Zuma”:
"Dylan, who lived around the corner from Briggs, shuffled in and joined the Zuma sessions, first on piano, then guitar. "He didn't talk, just nodded," said Sampedro. "He was dressed in Sears clothes—I didn't know it was Bob Dylan." ("I didn't know he was so short," mused Ralph.) The action-packed lineup fizzled when the Horse inevitably fell apart. "We did a bunch of his songs, never got one right all the way through," said Poncho. "Neil told me later Dylan said, 'Your band has a good beat, but they can't play,' and Neil replied, 'Yeah, but think about it, Bob—you could play with them.' " [Sampedro recalls Dylan leading the ragtag group in songs from Blood on the Tracks. He also remembers Dylan tapping the keys on a version of Young's "Danger Bird."] The mind looks. Said Sampedro of Dylan, "he was quiet—more inward than Neil, if that's possible"
Could somebody with knowledge about Neil Young’s recording sessions out there confirm this?

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 16:00 GMT 

Is he supposedly on the released track? If so, would be easy to validate.

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 16:20 GMT 

Ask over at the Neil forum

Trashed wheat or whatever its called.

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 17:18 GMT 

People realized some time ago, that if they add any kind of Bob Dylan story, it will boost their sales an extra 10%.

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 18:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't see any indication that he plays on Zuma, just that he played the song one day.

I read that book a couple years ago, and really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 19:10 GMT 

Brickbat wrote:
According to the Neil Young biography “Shakey” by Jimmy McDonough (2002), Dylan plays piano on the song “Danger Bird” released on Neil Young’s 1975 album “Zuma”:

So, this is saying that he played piano on Danger Bird released on Zuma. No one is credited with playing piano on the album on Wikipedia's credits https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuma_(album) or on the copy of my cd. Can anyone hear piano on the song? This would help in confirming this. I am listening to it now and it is really tough to tell.

Also, nothing on Bjorner about this recording session

http://www.bjorner.com/DSN02710%201974% ... ssions.htm
http://www.bjorner.com/DSN02780%201975% ... ssions.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 20:06 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I read that book a couple years ago, and really enjoyed it.

It is a phenomenal book, I think I've read it three times. If Dylan played on the recorded version we would have heard about it elsewhere (assuming for some reason he didn't want to be credited). To me it just sounds like they were jamming (not recording) and Dylan played the piano part for a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 22nd, 2017, 08:40 GMT 

The quoted passage says he played on "a version of" the song; that doesn't seem to suggest it was the take released on the final album, at least not necessarily.

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 02:39 GMT 

When the archives first came out, there was a way for you to email the archivist and ask them a question. I asked about this topic and here is the response I just got.
Quote:
Hello!

Thank you so much for your email! Sorry for the delayed reply. Sometimes it’s hard to find my computer in all of this unreleased content.

That is a great question! I have made a note of it and will have to get back to you.
There are a few ways I might follow up:
Here, over email, with more details;
You may find the information you are looking for on the site in the near to distant future (most likely); or
If it's and interesting story, you may find a note from Neil himself about this on the site someday.
Keep coming back. The site is going to evolve and we have SO much to add. It’s emails like this that will be driving the future content of NYA, so thanks for reaching out.

-The Archivist
(writing from the vault)

I would be really interested to one day get the answer, I hope I atleast got this on Neil's teams' radar

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 03:33 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
When the archives first came out, there was a way for you to email the archivist and ask them a question. I asked about this topic and here is the response I just got.
Quote:
Hello!

Thank you so much for your email! Sorry for the delayed reply. Sometimes it’s hard to find my computer in all of this unreleased content.

That is a great question! I have made a note of it and will have to get back to you.
There are a few ways I might follow up:
Here, over email, with more details;
You may find the information you are looking for on the site in the near to distant future (most likely); or
If it's and interesting story, you may find a note from Neil himself about this on the site someday.
Keep coming back. The site is going to evolve and we have SO much to add. It’s emails like this that will be driving the future content of NYA, so thanks for reaching out.

-The Archivist
(writing from the vault)

I would be really interested to one day get the answer

Allow me. There is no piano on the released version of Danger Bird from the album Zuma. I urge you to listen for yourself. As for the reply from The Archivist, well, I suppose he's qualified. Just don't ask him to actually listen to Danger Bird.

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 07:05 GMT 

I like the sense of humour this Archivist shows in his reply. :lol:
Anyway, I don't hear any piano on Danger Bird. No piano player is credited for any song on Zuma in the liner notes of the album.
Maybe Bob did play on one take of this song on one of the recording sessions, we'll probably never know. But there's no Bob Dylan on the finished Zuma album.

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 07:17 GMT 

Zuma might be Neil’s drunken nickname for Bob. Hey Zimmerman! Zimmer! Zuma!

PostPosted: Sat January 13th, 2018, 23:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
...there's no Bob Dylan on the finished Zuma album.

I am in agreement and would love to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 06:50 GMT 

I think the released version definitely does not have one but I am more curious about unreleased version

PostPosted: Tue January 16th, 2018, 04:41 GMT 

I suppose it's hard for many music lovers to notice the difference between Frank Sampedro's distorted electric guitar and a piano.

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 00:22 GMT 

From Neil Young Archives website :

https://www.neilyoungarchives.com/#/inf ... &_k=16oosl

No mention of Bob, although tantalisingly the studio is listed as "House, Point Dune, CA' with a recording date of 3rd June 1975. - as it states in the first post that Bob lived near David Briggs, I guess the 'house' belongs to Briggs.

Saying that, 6 of the 9 songs on Zuma seems to have been cut there, all with Crazy Horse -

The others :

Cortez The Killer - 22/5/75
Dont Cry No Tears - 1/6/75
Barstool Blues - 3/6/75
Stupid Girl - 8/6/75
Drive Back - 22/6/75

Bob would have been in Corsica during most (or maybe all?) of this period, and almost certainly when the released take of 'Danger Bird' was recorded.

There's nothing in the band members' quotes in the first post that suggests or implies that Bob plays on the released version. I'm unaware of any outtakes from these sessions that are in circulation

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 03:31 GMT 

^ Some of us are way ahead of you on this one. Our ears work. Thanks.