Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 14:35 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 10:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

It does seem that lots of Dylan fans are collectors, and $ony know it.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 10:06 GMT 

I have heard the 3rd disc but also didnt pay for it. How much was the 3cd set? 200 euros or something ridiculous like that? Would be great if they release the 3rd separately, though if they haven't already I guess they never will

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 11:26 GMT 

The collection I play the most. Great to listen to, start to finish, on along car trip. Red river shore seems to come from
the depths of the soul. Also found the box set book good. If you ain't got it, get it !

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 15:37 GMT 

I don't know whether the 3 CD set is still available. I also have the single disc version that is also a rarity these days, but I only paid £3 for it!

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 15:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

Winter Lude wrote:
I have not been able to bond with MT...

Im very surprised by this, I thought you really liked Modern Times.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 16:01 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It does seem that lots of Dylan fans are collectors, and $ony know it.

Yup, summed up very nicely - $ony know (how to milk) it.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 16:12 GMT 

I bought the 3CD set and it wasn't cheap.
Sony will never decrease the prices because unlike Biograph
and Bootleg Series V1-3 they claim that the subsequent releases
don't sell in large enough numbers so the cost of manufacturing
these special bootlegs is high to them, this is rubbish,
i run a small modest music label in the UK and we can afford
to do runs of CDs that sell a lot less than the Dylan Bootleg
series do, and we can still make a profit doing it.
Although it has to be said, most independent music stores
across the UK want vinyl now more so than CD's, but that
demand is only for a younger generation who never experienced
Vinyl, i love Vinyl, but it does have its limitations when compared
to CD and costs a LOT more to manufacture

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
To clarify, I did get the 3rd disc, shortly after the initial release, I just didn't pay for it - I would gladly have done so had it not been such a glaring example of corporate greed. I'm really not into collecting variations of artwork on a legitimate release, one copy is enough - it is about the music, for me.

Me too, it's about the music, I don't need or want giant boxes with a big book etc in it, it just takes up more space, it's not worth the money that I don't have to spend, etc. It was (and is now, of course) FAR too expensive, complete corporate greed - this could have been available packaged in some manner like Triplicate is for the same amount of money that that goes for.

I got the third disc via mp3 and am satisfied with having it that way.

Off-topic: I wish there was a single disc release of the 1969 Isle Of Wight show, as I have the standard version of Another Self-Portrait and won't spend that money on the 4 CD huge box set, but the mp3s, it being live, have gaps if I buy it that way and burn it, and that sucks.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 23:53 GMT 

That cold irons bound on the third disk is the greatest live performance of any song ever. It's absolute fire and brimstone. A snarling vocal with demented phrasing and the band are bonkers good.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 05:26 GMT 

If we all got together and petitioned Sony to release the third CD of TTS on it's own without any thrills at a standard price would they listen. It would stop the circulation of rogue copies and pirating? It could be marketed as The Bootleg Series Volume 8/3.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 05:36 GMT 

Disk 3 is great, love Duncan & Brady, Most of the Time, Ring them Bells and Mary and the Soldier. The latter sounds awkward at first but it has become a favourite.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 05:36 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:
To clarify, I did get the 3rd disc, shortly after the initial release, I just didn't pay for it - I would gladly have done so had it not been such a glaring example of corporate greed. I'm really not into collecting variations of artwork on a legitimate release, one copy is enough - it is about the music, for me.

Me too, it's about the music, I don't need or want giant boxes with a big book etc in it, it just takes up more space, it's not worth the money that I don't have to spend, etc. It was (and is now, of course) FAR too expensive, complete corporate greed - this could have been available packaged in some manner like Triplicate is for the same amount of money that that goes for.

I got the third disc via mp3 and am satisfied with having it that way.

Off-topic: I wish there was a single disc release of the 1969 Isle Of Wight show, as I have the standard version of Another Self-Portrait and won't spend that money on the 4 CD huge box set, but the mp3s, it being live, have gaps if I buy it that way and burn it, and that sucks.

Me too, but i am a sucker for a well packaged extortion, Sony have me sussed out.
I had to get the Japanese imports too, had to have them.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 09:57 GMT 

By far, my favourite Bootleg vol.. I would say the first disc is the most played Dylan CD I have.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 13:21 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
If we all got together and petitioned Sony to release the third CD of TTS on it's own without any thrills at a standard price would they listen. It would stop the circulation of rogue copies and pirating? It could be marketed as The Bootleg Series Volume 8/3.

That's an excellent idea. Even if they released it in digital format, which they briefly did some years back on GooglePlay and iTunes-this would cost them feckall.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 17:23 GMT 

When I want to turn people on to Mod Bob, I suggest the 2-CD version of TTS over everything else -- even if Oh Mercy and Modern Times are my favorite individual releases from the period and with Wold Gone Wrong being always being in the back of my mind as a favorite, too.

And, I do have the 3-CD set, having picked it up for $50 used about 6 or so years after I bought the 2-CD version. So glad I have the third CD.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 17:38 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:

That's an excellent idea. Even if they released it in digital format, which they briefly did some years back on GooglePlay and iTunes-this would cost them feckall.

I suppose the chiefs who run this board or Isis should petition them (Sony) on our behalf. They may take more notice from the chiefs rather than individual warblings from a range of posters.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 17:54 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

I suppose the chiefs who run this board or Isis should petition them (Sony) on our behalf. They may take more notice from the chiefs rather than individual warblings from a range of posters.

Yes, they would be our official representatives. I cannot see why your idea would not make sense, even commercially. It is obvious that the people who have not paid the extortionate price for this disc by now are never going to do so. Nevertheless, a very high proportion would be guaranteed to pay a sane price, and quite a generous sane price, for this one disc. Winners all round.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 19:45 GMT 

I play disc one very frequently, and my wife (casual Dylan listener) absolutely loves it, probably her favourite Dylan album. It was only yesterday that she realised that it was actually a compilation of 'rejects'. She was utterly stunned.

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 00:20 GMT 

Got all three discs worth through iTunes for a tenner a few years ago!

Easily my favourite BS release - so much variation, so many brilliant recordings and songs - the fact that three different versions of the same song can feel so individual and perfect in their own way astounds me! I could easily listen to all four Mississippis in a row and not get fed up

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 10:53 GMT 

For me, nothing can ever top Vols I to III, that was such a revelation at the time, the scope was so wide, and it has stood the test of time. But there are certainly days when I am convinced that Tell Tale Signs is the greatest BS release since that first salvo; even just Disc 1 of the set, played right through, is stunning.

Like many, I balked at the 'deluxe' price gouging so I just bought the 2 Disc edition and downloaded Disc 3.

Of everything released since the (critical) renaissance started in 97 with TOOM, for me the top 3 would be (in this order):

1. "Love and Theft" - an absolute masterpiece, exceeding and even eclipsing TOOM.
2. Tell Tale Signs - better, by far, than any of his recent albums, including Tempest.
3. The Cutting Edge - seems to have been somewhat undervalued, amid all the recent Dylan product, but it's a very major release which deserves an entire book written around it.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 

The prize for me is Mississippi and you as well as the 3rd disc Most of the time and Can't wait (some of the time).
(Crossing the Green mountain already in hand.)

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 21:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Tell Tale Signs is one that I go back to frequently, even with the extra Mississippi’s. Each one has their own greatness. Version 2 and 3 are my favorites. Red River Shore is fantastic as well. Version 2 of that used to be my favorite but Version 1 crept back into my life. I hope more of the Bromberg sessions come out as well. Born in Time and Can’t Wait anyone?

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 22:34 GMT 

I love, love, love Tell Tale Signs. I play it a lot. I often wonder about who put it together... it is so close to perfection. But who came up with the concept? Who pulled the tracks and put them in this order? Was it Rosen? Was it Bob himself? Somehow that doesn't seem likely. Maybe Rosen.

It's easily the best crafted Dylan compilation since Greatest Hits II - and according to Scaduto, Dylan himself put that one together.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 23:23 GMT 

Never get tired of this one. I listen to it every other week, I just love it. Bob at his best.

PostPosted: Mon September 25th, 2017, 00:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Made me wonder today, why Tomorrow is a Long Time from the 1970’s never appeared on anything thus far?