Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 15:39 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

I was listening to Tell Tale Signs again today, and every time I listen to it, I am stunned at how good it is. So I was wondering, is it just me?. What are your thoughts on it

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

Easily for me, the best the "series" has offered.

I find far more truth and wisdom in the sound of his voice, delivery and band arrangements, in NET years anyway...but this release has it all. Great vocals...live performances...outtakes etc.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

A good argument could be made for Official Bootleg Series 1 - 3 being the best and I propbably wouldn't bother arguing it long but it's the only one so far that comes close to Tell Tale Signs. The much anticipated- soon to be released gospel material may be on this level too but I don't really see anything unreleased that will come close... barring total surprise from the mid-80s. For all we know there are a dozen more songs like Blind Willie McTell from the 80s he never released because he didn't finish them or feel they fit in with the other things he was releasing.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 

motherwell wrote:
every time I listen to it, I am stunned at how good it is.

Same here. I love everything hes done since TOOM, but tell tale signs is my favourite release of this era

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 18:03 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
A good argument could be made for Official Bootleg Series 1 - 3 being the best and I propbably wouldn't bother arguing it long but it's the only one so far that comes close to Tell Tale Signs.

I thought Another Self Portrait had a lot of great stuff on it too, comparable to the amount on Tell Tale Signs.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 18:12 GMT 

Easily the one I put on most often (until BS11). One of my favorite Dylan things to do is put on the slowed-down, haunting version of Can't Wait (Disc 3, Track 11) when it's real quiet and I'm driving late at night.

You ever feel just like your brain's been bolted to the wall?
That you're drowning in your thoughtlessness, and cut off from it all?
I don't know, maybe for you it's not that late
But as for me, I don't know how much longer I can wait

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 

I enjoy it more than all of the music that came out after the time period that it represents.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 19:04 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
I enjoy it more than all of the music that came out after the time period that it represents.

Apart from wall-to-wall Sinatra, that amounts to less than the 3cd version contains. Are you damning it with faint praise or just expressing dissatisfaction with the excess of Sinatraness (something which I can quite understand, although I love Tempest)?

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 19:38 GMT 

I remember when I started to be a fan and I bought all the Bootleg Series CDs and Tell Tale Signs was one of my favourite and it still is.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 20:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Good. Bigly good. Yuge. It's so good you'll get tired of it's goodness.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 20:49 GMT 

A terrific compilation. Many of the individual gems within, too numerous to mention, merit extensive scrutiny

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 22:05 GMT 

Lot of good stuff, especially the Oxnard TOOM material, which leaves you wondering what might have been...

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 23:05 GMT 

Tell Tell Signs is astoundingly good.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 00:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

Did anyone actually buy that 3rd disc?

I agree that, as a whole, it is a fantastic addition to the available works, but I didn't pay hard cash for it at that price - I did buy the 66 box.

Dylan is a gift that keeps giving, even if you don't like, or can't stomach, some releases, it doesn't diminish the rest, and TTS is a treasure.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 00:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Cold Irons Bound wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
A good argument could be made for Official Bootleg Series 1 - 3 being the best and I propbably wouldn't bother arguing it long but it's the only one so far that comes close to Tell Tale Signs.

I thought Another Self Portrait had a lot of great stuff on it too, comparable to the amount on Tell Tale Signs.

Two EXCELLENT posts.
Maybe throw the Rolling Thunder bootleg series in there too!

Really looking forward to this next one as well.
Yes, Gospel promises to be right up there!

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 02:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:

I agree that, as a whole, it is a fantastic addition to the available works, but I didn't pay hard cash for it at that price - I did buy the 66 box.

Dylan is a gift that keeps giving, even if you don't like, or can't stomach, some releases, it doesn't diminish the rest, and TTS is a treasure.

The 3rd disc is worth it if just for the Can't Wait alone (I quite like Disc 3's Mississippi too)

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 03:40 GMT 

It's simply amazing, one of the best from the Bootleg Series. I only have the 2 disc version but there's an incredible amount of material on them. I love how it explores his "comeback" period, the studio albums from Oh Mercy to Modern Times are fantastic but TTS shows that there's even more out there that's just as good. Been listening to Tell Ol' Bill, Someday Baby and Marchin to the City a lot lately.

For anyone with the 3rd disc, what's that version's "Most of the Time" like? I heard the alternate accoustic take on disc one but I'm interested to know what this other take is like.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 05:09 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Winter Lude wrote:

Apart from wall-to-wall Sinatra, that amounts to less than the 3cd version contains. Are you damning it with faint praise or just expressing dissatisfaction with the excess of Sinatraness (something which I can quite understand, although I love Tempest)?

I have not been able to bond with MT, TTL, Tempest, Christmas, or any of the Sinatra stuff. I'll listen to any part of Tell tale signs and thoroughly enjoy it. I just don't like the songs on those albums and I don't like they way they sound.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 07:26 GMT 

I think it is definitely the best of the Bootleg Series since Volumes 1 - 3, especially now that Volume 4 is included in the Live 1966 box set! I only have a copy of Disc 3 and think there is a solid case for Sony to release it as a stand alone disc at normal price to enable those of us who only bought the 2CD format to complete the set! To answer the question 'Tell Tale signs...Just how good is it?' I would say it's extremely good.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 07:47 GMT 

I have the 3 CDs box set (bought it still sealed for 50 Euro ), like the others which came in a box set.

Great stuff, I like it very much.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 08:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

slimtimslide wrote:

Yes, but only after the price fell to less than a third of what they originally demanded.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 09:12 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:

Yes. And the 2 disc set. And the single CD as well. You never know these days what variations there will be among the different versions (cf: BS11 and BS12 artwork variations).

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 09:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

To clarify, I did get the 3rd disc, shortly after the initial release, I just didn't pay for it - I would gladly have done so had it not been such a glaring example of corporate greed. I'm really not into collecting variations of artwork on a legitimate release, one copy is enough - it is about the music, for me.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 09:25 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

I have not been able to bond with MT, TTL, Tempest, Christmas, or any of the Sinatra stuff. I'll listen to any part of Tell tale signs and thoroughly enjoy it. I just don't like the songs on those albums and I don't like they way they sound.

There's some MT material on TTS-do you think it sounds better, different mix, perhaps (I have a very poor ear for these things), or just maybe better versions?

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 09:29 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
To clarify, I did get the 3rd disc, shortly after the initial release, I just didn't pay for it - I would gladly have done so had it not been such a glaring example of corporate greed. I'm really not into collecting variations of artwork on a legitimate release, one copy is enough - it is about the music, for me.

There was briefly available an mp3 download of the 3cd version on GooglePlay, which I was lucky enough to catch. I don't know why they took it down, but it's absence leaves people a choice of having their pockets picked or using 'alternative methods'. I can't understand the mentality.