Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 17:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: One day with Bob Dylan
PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 

This might have come up here before in some form, but if you don't mind I'd still like to know this: If you were to spend a day with Bob, what would you do? And which era would you choose? Curious to read your answers! :)

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 16:32 GMT 

I actually had a dream about this the other night... I recently had a friend die, which reminded me of my grandfather dying about 10 years ago. That and a number of other events led to a dream in which a couple of friends and I ran into current Bob and invited him to go to the movies with us. We rode in a little Winnebago, and he wouldn't go out without a hoodie covering his face and a hat over the hoodie. He hit on some younger ladies, gave us hell, and was fun loving and crotchety (obviously a stand in for my own grandfather in the dream). We ended the night by going to see IT in the movie theater, but he didn't stick around -- said he didn't like scary movies and had to get to a show anyways.

It was a weird dream, but if Bob IRL is anything like that -- a fun loving grandpa just along for the ride -- then I'd pick him.

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

In high school I had a dream that Bob Dylan was sitting across from me on the school bus. He was my guest for the day and I was wondering what I'd do with him.

If I had a day with Bob Dylan, any era, it would be spent in my studio with guitars in hand and tape rolling. Plenty of food, drink, and anything else to make things fun.

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 17:21 GMT 

TimeandTempo wrote:
I actually had a dream about this the other night... I recently had a friend die, which reminded me of my grandfather dying about 10 years ago. That and a number of other events led to a dream in which a couple of friends and I ran into current Bob and invited him to go to the movies with us. We rode in a little Winnebago, and he wouldn't go out without a hoodie covering his face and a hat over the hoodie. He hit on some younger ladies, gave us hell, and was fun loving and crotchety (obviously a stand in for my own grandfather in the dream). We ended the night by going to see IT in the movie theater, but he didn't stick around -- said he didn't like scary movies and had to get to a show anyways.

It was a weird dream, but if Bob IRL is anything like that -- a fun loving grandpa just along for the ride -- then I'd pick him.

Oh man, I wish I'd have a dream about Bob too... preferably 1965 or 1975 Bob...
This is a lovely story! And I actually think you described the Bob of your dream pretty accurately. From what I have read about fans' encounters, he loves children and sometimes picked up his grand-children after school where others described him as a very nice grandpa (the only weird thing about him being the fact that he'd never, not even in summer, wear short pants :lol: ) Fun loving? Just along for the ride? I definitely think so. And the hoodie thing - well, what shall I say...
Great you shared this! :D

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 17:22 GMT 

Quote:
If I had a day with Bob Dylan, any era, it would be spent in my studio with guitars in hand and tape rolling. Plenty of food, drink, and anything else to make things fun.

Are you a musician?

PS: That sounds very cool - you'd get to make your own personal bootlegs :wink:

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 

"the only weird thing about him being the fact that he'd never, not even in summer, wear short pants"

Are there any photos of him in shorts? Have we ever seen his knees?

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 18:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ There's some poolside pics of him, ca. 1963. Diving off a diving board, too !

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

And there's another one from around 1980 where he's sitting on a windowsill with his wool cap and only boxers on I think... he had pretty thin legs but I like the pic, he looked handsome :D

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 21:27 GMT 

Links to aforementioned legs?

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 00:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Here's one : https://www.pinterest.com/pin/317151998738846486/

There are more pics from that day, but I dunno where they are on the Information Superhighway.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 06:07 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
^ Here's one : https://www.pinterest.com/pin/317151998738846486/

There are more pics from that day, but I dunno where they are on the Information Superhighway.

There's more of these?!? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 06:24 GMT 

We would spend a lovely day together trolling ER. With snacks to keep us going.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 06:31 GMT 

McG wrote:

:lol: nice, but does Bob ever eat? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 07:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm a musician so I'd like to play with him and also do some really good drugs and maybe he could spring for one of those thousand dollar hookers for me and then we'd do a little gambling and cap the evening with a nice big breakfast...waking around 2pm, having strong coffee and a strong bowl and then we'd write a song about a character we'd met the night before, which would make a million dollars and also be acclaimed as high art, granting me access to all the best parties for life. When people asked about it I'd say I didn't remember but I really would.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 09:53 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
And there's another one from around 1980 where he's sitting on a windowsill with his wool cap and only boxers on I think... he had pretty thin legs but I like the pic, he looked handsome :D

oh the ragman wrote:
Links to aforementioned legs?

http://vandals-took-the-handle.tumblr.com/post/161728400851/daily-dylan-pic-163

That's the one I mean 8)

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 10:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

McG wrote:

I was hoping you'd help me brainwash him.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 12:18 GMT 

We are going to blast our eyeballs with massive doses of liquid LSD and visit one of those intense, high-production haunted houses where you must sign an elaborate waiver before going in. The roar and smoke of chainsaws, not revolution, will be in the air. Terrifying touches will include blood-covered-everything, a diseased urine trench that smells like the real thing, and demented clowns that never break character. In our chemically impaired state, it'll take hours for us to get through a maze of elaborately crafted rooms, each devoted to a different murderer, among them Jeffrey Dahmer, the Zodiac Killer, and Ted Bundy. If getting seriously injured by malfunctioning animatronic creatures doesn’t inspire a bad trip, then surely getting violated, groped and forced to put things in our mouths will leave us stranded on the shores of schizophrenia.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 14:40 GMT 

Bloodworm Baltimore French Fry wrote:
We are going to blast our eyeballs with massive doses of liquid LSD and visit one of those intense, high-production haunted houses where you must sign an elaborate waiver before going in. The roar and smoke of chainsaws, not revolution, will be in the air. Terrifying touches will include blood-covered-everything, a diseased urine trench that smells like the real thing, and demented clowns that never break character. In our chemically impaired state, it'll take hours for us to get through a maze of elaborately crafted rooms, each devoted to a different murderer, among them Jeffrey Dahmer, the Zodiac Killer, and Ted Bundy. If getting seriously injured by malfunctioning animatronic creatures doesn’t inspire a bad trip, then surely getting violated, groped and forced to put things in our mouths will leave us stranded on the shores of schizophrenia.

Try harder kid.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 14:45 GMT 

Current era. I would draw or paint with him all day. Have a drink or three.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 14:52 GMT 

I wouldn't have anything in common with him.
Small talk would turn into silence before we both went
off and found something else to do for the day.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 16:06 GMT 

McG wrote:

Try harder kid.

It's a badge of honor to get whacked by your flyswatter, McG.

Your posts amuse me, a rare thing considering the state the world is in, and more importantly, the state of Dylan, Inc.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 16:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

We'd go to a small arty cinema and watch some classic film noir. We'd sit next to each but not talk or exchange awkward pleasantries, we'd then leave and go our separate ways.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
We'd go to a small arty cinema and watch some classic film noir. We'd sit next to each but not talk or exchange awkward pleasantries, we'd then leave and go our separate ways.

We sat in an empty theatre and we kissed.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 17:15 GMT 

It's a badge of honor to get whacked by your flyswatter, McG.

Your posts amuse me, a rare thing considering the state the world is in, and more importantly, the state of Dylan, Inc.

I'll see you in Hell.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 17:19 GMT 

Late 1960's and we are in NYC.

We meet up for a late breakfast at a little kosher cafe on Madison Ave.

A Picasso exhibition is showing, and Bob gives me his analysis as we walk around the gallery.

It's smoked salmon bagels and coffee on a bench in Central Park in the afternoon.

We take in a night game at Yankee stadium, and end up in a dockside Irish bar drinking whisky and Guinness, discussing Steinbeck's 'The Graphs Of Wrath'.

I haven't asked him a single Dylan related question all day, and I think he appreciated that.