Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 18:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: The discography thread?
PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 16:22 GMT 
Senior Moderator

What do you guys think of it?
I've been trying to add to as releases come out.
But I find it a little "unorganized" and it's hard to add anything to it.

So do we need it? Do you find it useful, or do you browse through his catalogue elsewhere?

I really think it's good to have that thread as a reference.
The track numbers I find uneccasary, and I'd rather have smaller sections/posts listing releases from 60's, 70's.. and so on.
Then have a tally on how many realeased songs in his collection.

What I had in mind is, something more like the Tour/Setlist thread I've been making.
But not a post for every album, but rather every decade.

So what do you say? Should it stay as is or should I refinish the whole thing?

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 16:29 GMT 

I don't really find it necessary with other websites around.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 16:41 GMT 

A lot of work went into that, it would be a shame to see it deleted.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 17:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

This is one of the first Dylan sites I found when I first started listening, and I perused that thread and found it very useful.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 19:00 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
A lot of work went into that, it would be a shame to see it deleted.

Well I think the worst that would happen would it would be unstickied.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 23:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

interesting idea Doggy (y)

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 08:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

SirDogg wrote:
What do you guys think of it?
I've been trying to add to as releases come out.
But I find it a little "unorganized" and it's hard to add anything to it.

So do we need it? Do you find it useful, or do you browse through his catalogue elsewhere?

I really think it's good to have that thread as a reference.
The track numbers I find uneccasary, and I'd rather have smaller sections/posts listing releases from 60's, 70's.. and so on.
Then have a tally on how many realeased songs in his collection.

What I had in mind is, something more like the Tour/Setlist thread I've been making.
But not a post for every album, but rather every decade.

I'd welcome adopting smaller sections but if we chose to do it by decade then a really important facet of the new design, would have to take into account that the releases in the Bootleg Series that span two or more decades BS2, 3 7 8 10 would still end up organised by release date. Or do we have multiple entries in those cases?

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 08:22 GMT 

I find the discography quite useful, thanks to those who are responsible for it. Of course it's somehow unorganised, but I don't know how it could be improved. Studio albums, collaborations, singles etc... a lot of different stuff.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 08:47 GMT 
Senior Moderator

leavinclaud wrote:
I'd welcome adopting smaller sections but if we chose to do it by decade then a really important facet of the new design, would have to take into account that the releases in the Bootleg Series that span two or more decades BS2, 3 7 8 10 would still end up organised by release date. Or do we have multiple entries in those cases?

I was thinking about categorising the Bootleg Series by the release dates as it is in the original thread.
Or a section by their own.

I just thought a simpler listing would be easier to maintain.
But if it's better the way it is now, I will try and continue to update it.

After I've added a new release, I have to put the correct number on each track.
Then update the album name under each track in the song listings.
The Anniversary collections are a lot of work to add.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 12:45 GMT 
Senior Moderator

And another thing, a post is only allowed to have 60,000 characters.
So this doesn't allow me to add anything to the posts containing the song listing.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 16:52 GMT 

Go with what's easier for you.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 18:28 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Maybe I'll make a new one, and see if it gets any better.
With the old one still being available till then, it will never be deleted anyways,
if the new one doesn't look better, the old one will stay.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 19:10 GMT 

If I'm not mistaken all this is already available and actively maintained at Fraser's SearchForAGem.com site.

There should absolutely be a sticky with links to the several excellent discographical web sites, but the mods seem to be clueless.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 19:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks for putting your time and mental energy into this. I didn't realise that 60,000 was the limit. It's a valuable resource but how soon will the 60,000 be used up in the current Album chronology? So with the 117?? not previously entered BS11 tracks it may soon be at full capacity already. Like you said at the beginning smaller sections needed.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 03:01 GMT 
Senior Moderator

lowgen wrote:
If I'm not mistaken all this is already available and actively maintained at Fraser's SearchForAGem.com site.

There should absolutely be a sticky with links to the several excellent discographical web sites, but the mods seem to be clueless.

Well.. thanks.
I know there's good sites to look up on his discography, maybe I'll make links in my new update.
But I think we need a little discography-thread here as referance and a quick and easy way to look up his stuff. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 02:14 GMT 

I know I'm three years late to this discussion, and I could have sworn I've consulted the discography within the past few months, but it apparently seems to now be either off limits and/or deleted?

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 05:25 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I removed it because it was hard to keep it going. There is a maximum of 60,000 characters to one post.
When the limit is reached I either had to make another post and move large sections further down or split them up.

I didn't think anyone used it anymore, and his discography is so largely documented elsewhere.
But if you want I can put it back, and let it stay there. And maybe someday I'll update it.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 07:14 GMT 

I used the discography from time to time. I always found it very useful with its different categories.
But with all those different releases flooding in in the last couple of years (BS, copyright sets, Sinatra stuff...) I can understand that it became very hard to keep it going. Of course all the information could be found elsewhere, too. And if it now needed to be broken up into different post, I think it's the best decision to give it up.

Anyway, I'd like to thank everybody who contributed to this discography over the years. Your work is gretaly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 07:34 GMT 

I think it's very useful and I have referred to it quite regularly in the past. It's a good reference guide for someone who has not got Dylan's full output but want to find out where certain tracks are contained. This is particularly useful if you only have the basic 2CD sets of The Bootleg Series and need to find out what the Deluxe collections contain. I know you can find all the info elsewhere but if you're visiting this site anyway it's nice to have it all under one roof.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 08:17 GMT 

I also used it time to time- it was very useful for me to find out what's not on his original albums.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 12:43 GMT 

I understand. Let me just say this:

I tended to refer to this discography, not every day, but on occasion, because--first and foremost--it was accurate. While I'm certainly sympathetic as to the extent which the sheer volume of official Dylan releases has ballooned in recent years, I liked the page because one could do a quick, comprehensive text search, and because it made a point of including all of the odds and ends (download-only, promo-only, vinyl only, VHS-only, etc.)

I've essentially compiled my own offshoot of the Dylan discography, and the "Expecting Rain" list was always one of my major sources. (I'm sure I have an earlier version copied and pasted to a Word doc somewhere, but I'd have to hunt for it.)

I guess the reason that I sought it out last night is because I noticed a conflict between Alan Fraser's page and Olof's page: Apparently "Hero Blues" was first released as an I-tunes download back in the early 'aughts before showing up on the 1963 "Copyright Extension" set. Most sources (including "Searching For A Gem") state that I-tunes released the 4/12/63 Town Hall version, but all I could find over at "Still On The Road" was a (probably erroneous) attribution to 10/26/63 (Carnegie Hall) in the "Yearly Chronicles" section, even though Olaf's setlist for the 10/26/63 show does not include "Hero Blues", and the 4/12/63 entry fails to mention the I-tunes release.

(And I'm not pointing this out to say "gotcha" to either of those fine websites, because finding such discrepencies is as difficult as keeping track of all this information. Nobody's perfect.)

I know, I know, all of this makes me a freak, but that's just it--as Dylan's discography exponentially expands, particularly his 1960's output, the more I find myself relying on corroborating online sources, and that discography was a great one. Maybe I should have been more actively saying "thank you" for it over the years, because again, I found it quite valuable.

Anyway, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 16:35 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I've put it back, but it's my updated version of it.
The original thread was started by jfcanada, who's entitled to a huge thank you for all the work!
I used his list to base the new one on, and tried to put it in different sections and posts (because of the 60,000 limit)

The one I made isn't updated after Bootleg Series 12 I think.
And the A-Z song list haven't been since before that.
If I get time one day, I'll make an effort to update it.

edit: If anyone wish to or have time to update the discography or make a new one they're welcome to!

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 02:18 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
I've put it back, but it's my updated version of it.
The original thread was started by jfcanada, who's entitled to a huge thank you for all the work!
I used his list to base the new one on, and tried to put it in different sections and posts (because of the 60,000 limit)

The one I made isn't updated after Bootleg Series 12 I think.
And the A-Z song list haven't been since before that.
If I get time one day, I'll make an effort to update it.

edit: If anyone wish to or have time to update the discography or make a new one they're welcome to!

Thank you very much. Like I said, I don't know if there will ever be a perfect Dylan discography, and since I've never really been aware of exactly who put together this discography, I never knew who to contact about it.