Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 16:48 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wilburys chronology
PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 22:44 GMT 

I have often wondered about "Like a Ship" and "Maxine" - were these recorded at the same sessions as Traveling Wilburys Volume One? In the most recent release, "The Collection," they are tagged onto the end of Volume One, but they don't seem to quite belong there.

My impression is that there were three general sessions for the TW - the Volume One session, the "Nobody's Child"/"Runaway" session, and the Volume 3 session. Is this correct, though? One online resource states that "Like a Ship" and "Maxine" were recorded at the "Nobody's Child"/"Runaway" session.

What's the best resource for recording information for the Wilburys?

Post subject: Re: Wilburys chronology
PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 22:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bjorner's site lists Like A Ship and Maxine as being recorded during the Volume One sessions. It also only lists two sessions, one for each album.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 11:28 GMT 

Steverino wrote:
I have often wondered about "Like a Ship" and "Maxine" - were these recorded at the same sessions as Traveling Wilburys Volume One? In the most recent release, "The Collection," they are tagged onto the end of Volume One, but they don't seem to quite belong there.

My impression is that there were three general sessions for the TW - the Volume One session, the "Nobody's Child"/"Runaway" session, and the Volume 3 session. Is this correct, though? One online resource states that "Like a Ship" and "Maxine" were recorded at the "Nobody's Child"/"Runaway" session.

What's the best resource for recording information for the Wilburys?

Since both "Like A Ship" and "Maxine" are part of the work tape with early versions of the "Vol. 3" songs, I always assumed they were recorded at the "Vol. 3" sessions.

On the "Vol. 3" work tape both "Like A Ship" and "Maxine" share sound and recording characteristics with the other songs, so they are clearly part of that batch of songs. Also there is no sign whatsoever of Roy Orbison being on those two songs, which would be another indication that they come from the "Vol. 3" sessions.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 20:42 GMT 

I just dug out one of my (many) Heylin books. He puts "Like a Ship" and "Maxine" with the Volume Three recordings - "Nobody's Child" and "Runaway," too. I'm not sure if that's entirely correct.

Olof says that Volume One was created at Dave Stewart's Studios in Los Angeles, California from about May 7-17, 1988 - and this included "Like a Ship" and "Maxine." He says "Nobody's Child" and "Runaway" were recorded at the session for Volume Three in Los Angeles in April, 1990.

Is Olof ever wrong?

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 23:26 GMT 

There is a web deticated to Jeff Lynne songs. This web says that there are two unreleased demos from the Vol 1 sessions:

"Winged Victory" Performed by the 5 original Wilburys. "Roy offered to those wanting to know who wrote the songs on Vol. 1 [sic] was his statement that the lead singer on each cut wrote that particular song. While Bob Dylan had four songs, Roy had only one, because his solo, Winged Victory, based upon William Blake's The Sick Rose, was thrown out"
Ellis Amburn (1990 Dark Star: The Roy Orbison Story)

"I'm in the mood for love" performed only by Jeff and Bob. :?: "[Bob Dylan and I] did a demo once of him singing I’m In The Mood For Love in his garage. There was a little 24-track in the corner. We did Handle With Care there, too."
Jeff Lynne (April 2016 - Uncut magazine)

This web also puts Maxine and Like a ship inside the Vol 3 sessions. The source in this case is Clinton Heylin.
"According to Jeff Lynne, the [Vol. 3] sessions lasted about three weeks. They came up wth 14 songs, three of which do not make Volume Three-- Del Shannon's Runaway, George Harrison's Maxine, and Dylan's Like A Ship."

http://www.jefflynnesongs.com

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 02:09 GMT 

Does anyone have know any info about the order that they were recorded in? From my little research, it seems like all I know for sure is that Handle With Care was the first song recorded

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 11:55 GMT 

Now I desperately want to hear Winged Victory!!!

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 12:17 GMT 

More so in the mood for love! Hes in the mood, hes in the mood :)