Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 16:40 GMT 

EvanMarshall wrote:
I guess there's never been a test case but I'd be very surprised if an official Sony release of these tracks in the future would be considered public domain. For circulating tracks, then they certainly go public domain after 50 years but for tracks that no one even knew existed I suspect that an official Sony release would establish copyright for what has now been increased to seventy years. That's how their lawyers are looking at it I would guess. If it wasn't the case then they would be scrambling to release them.

But that's not what the EU Copyright Directive says -- it says that if a recording is not released or made publicly available by 50 years after the DATE of recording, it automatically enters the Public Domain. Any release of an unissued recording AFTER 50 years is PD no matter who releases it or how. Only recordings released within 50 years are granted the 70-year copyright.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 16:43 GMT 

I feel the time might be right to utter the holy words, can i have a pm please :lol:

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 19:41 GMT 

Are there people on the board who actually have this currently? Color me skeptical.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 20:23 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
I feel the time might be right to utter the holy words, can i have a pm please :lol:

Yeah, if people are telling the truth, then I'm going to have to kindly ask for a PM also.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 21:35 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
Are there people on the board who actually have this currently?

No.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 21:36 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
eltedioso wrote:
Are there people on the board who actually have this currently?

No.

So people are bluffing then? Right, that's what I figured.
...Or ARE they?!

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 22:27 GMT 

Thank you for the kind pm from those who shall remain unknown :)

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 22:32 GMT 

I'm going to need a PM as well. Thank you in advance! ;)

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 23:06 GMT 

I might as well mention that I also don't want anyone to know about my copy of the JWH outtakes that haven't been PM'd to me.

(Please and thank you) 8)

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 23:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

You people are vicious to my hopes!

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 23:33 GMT 

Hmmm, i might have to ask for a pm as well :D

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 23:57 GMT 

Sean Murdock wrote:
EvanMarshall wrote:
I guess there's never been a test case but I'd be very surprised if an official Sony release of these tracks in the future would be considered public domain. For circulating tracks, then they certainly go public domain after 50 years but for tracks that no one even knew existed I suspect that an official Sony release would establish copyright for what has now been increased to seventy years. That's how their lawyers are looking at it I would guess. If it wasn't the case then they would be scrambling to release them.

But that's not what the EU Copyright Directive says -- it says that if a recording is not released or made publicly available by 50 years after the DATE of recording, it automatically enters the Public Domain. Any release of an unissued recording AFTER 50 years is PD no matter who releases it or how. Only recordings released within 50 years are granted the 70-year copyright.

You might very well be right but it would seem that Dylan's people see it another way. Sony have been very proactive about releasing this stuff in the past so it would seem very unusual of them to just let JWH-era recordings go public domain. This is a company which has released every single note in the studio or on stage for 65/66 - a total of 54 CDs with the equivalent of another 11 as a download which included some concerts in real diabolical quality from 65. The company that put out the equivale of 65 CDs for 65/66 wouldn't let the 67 material go PD unless they felt they were on a strong legal footing. I'll admit though that a reading of the current law seems to be against them.

Isn't it curious though that the Beatles and the Stones have just ignored the whole copyright extension thing?

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 23:58 GMT 

I'm having trouble grasping why Sony would allow the copyright to lapse on JWH outtakes--unless (a) Dylan, for some reason, never wants these outtakes to see the light of day; (b) Sony, for some reason, does not own the master tapes (this might have something to do with the breakup with Grossman, or perhaps explain why they have yet to show up on any Bootleg Series title); (c) based on studies of previous EU grey-market titles, they've calculated that the amount of revenue that they would stand to lose to EU bootleggers is minimal; (d) they have been advised that previous "Copyright Extension/50th Anniversary) titles somehow failed to extend the copyrights as intended; or (e) they have it on good authority that the EU laws are set to change.

That's just spitballing, however. It makes no practical sense for Sony to allow these recordings to lose even partial international copyright protection--if it can be prevented by another small "50th Anniversary" release. (And has Sony ever spent any money at all marketing/promoting these sets? If memory serves, the 1962-64 titles were each very quietly dropped in December with little to no formal announcement.)

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 00:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

A lotta speculating going on.

The simple answer is:
Of course there'll be a 1967 Copyright drop!
And it'll quietly come out of nowhere after Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 00:43 GMT 

I would like a PM as well haha

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 00:49 GMT 

Interested in a PM as well :wink:

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 04:45 GMT 

Well I feel foolish for doubting those who are obviously more well-connected than I am!

I would love a PM if anyone is feeling generous.

Sorry to doubt the word of Dylan fans of good faith.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 04:47 GMT 

I’m interested as well. Please send a PM!

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 04:58 GMT 

I can't see anyway out other than to release them.
However, Sony have a good legal team, i'm sure they know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 05:54 GMT 

I'd like to request a PM too if any of you neighbours are carryin' somethin'

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

JWH is my fave, so I'll add myself to the PM begging list!

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 09:17 GMT 

I'd be very grateful for a PM. :)

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 09:22 GMT 

Oh cmon ER, its obvious its a joke from page 2, please get out of my inbox you unwashed wantons! :D
(cant blame anyone for trying)

I really hope we get the jwh copyright set, i wonder if the drifter always escapes.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 09:25 GMT 

Dan33185 wrote:
Interested in a PM as well :wink:

Yea il swap you it for that tulsa archives video dan :)

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 10:11 GMT 

EvanMarshall wrote:
You might very well be right but it would seem that Dylan's people see it another way. Sony have been very proactive about releasing this stuff in the past so it would seem very unusual of them to just let JWH-era recordings go public domain. This is a company which has released every single note in the studio or on stage for 65/66 - a total of 54 CDs with the equivalent of another 11 as a download which included some concerts in real diabolical quality from 65. The company that put out the equivale of 65 CDs for 65/66 wouldn't let the 67 material go PD unless they felt they were on a strong legal footing. I'll admit though that a reading of the current law seems to be against them.

Isn't it curious though that the Beatles and the Stones have just ignored the whole copyright extension thing?

Hmm, if Sony feels they're on strong legal footing, then why did they release the previous copyright extension sets?

The Cutting Edge 18-disc set and the 1965/66 concerts set would have been fun projects in their own right. A release of every note recorded to tape and all the live recordings they could muster were bound to generate attention no matter what, and likely an exiting asignment for those involved. So even if EU law had not extended the copyright on that stuff, I guess it's very possible that Sony would have release that particular material anyway (otherwise they would have been just as limited as the first copyright volumes).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next