Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 05:22 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 12:07 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6689
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I was listening to actor Robert Wuhl on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and he told the story of how Burt Bacharach wrote the song Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head for Bob. He sent it to Bob and he never responded. Apparently, the lines and melody are supposed to be for Bob. Do you hear it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 12:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 601
Errrr...no


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 13:15 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16693
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Hard to imagine but it's a very catchy song and will probably be stuck in my head all morning now - which I don't even mind, especially if I can imagine Dylan singing it in his New Morning voice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 15:39 GMT 

Joined: Thu July 31st, 2008, 17:59 GMT
Posts: 50
I hadn't heard that, but kind of see it working as a Dylan song considering the stuff Bob was recording around that time. It fits in the schmaltzier stuff from Self Portrait/Dylan/New Morning. It's a perfect song to sing a hacky nasal Bob Dylan vocal impression to. Give it a shot--it lifted my mood this morning! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 20:35 GMT 

Joined: Sat April 22nd, 2017, 12:50 GMT
Posts: 25
Song reminds me of my ex husband passed out on the couch through the latter half of the late eighties. " 2 liter bottle of cheap vodka and this side of the record on repeat. I've had an aversion to vinyl ever since!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 12:57 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 25th, 2007, 21:54 GMT
Posts: 1726
goodnitesteve wrote:
I was listening to actor Robert Wuhl on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and he told the story of how Burt Bacharach wrote the song Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head for Bob. He sent it to Bob and he never responded. Apparently, the lines and melody are supposed to be for Bob. Do you hear it?


Yes. Even the goofball who had the hit Dylanizes the verses a bit now that I recall it with that strange approximating technique. Very funny and nothing I would have thought of without it being claimed and explained.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 208
From what I've read and understood, the song wasn't written for Bob. It was written for the movie Butch Cassidy and presented to a few different singers including BJ Thomas, who recorded it. Bob either declined or never responded.

Every famous person gets bombarded with stuff they decline or don't respond to, so it's basically meaningless. I think "written for Bob Dylan" is just a cute little distortion that makes the story more interesting than "sent to Dylan with no response".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 1st, 2013, 08:42 GMT
Posts: 5835
Location: on a rail leading West
smoke wrote:
Hard to imagine but it's a very catchy song and will probably be stuck in my head all morning now - which I don't even mind, especially if I can imagine Dylan singing it in his New Morning voice.


I've been humming along to the love and theft voice version, and that too is glorious!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 17:19 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6689
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I wasn't trying to replicate any particular Dylan style here, but give it a listen!

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (performed by goodnitesteve, with harmonica)
https://thunderbirdcafe.bandcamp.com/tr ... rach-cover


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 18:21 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6689
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
From what Wuhl said, Bob and Burt Bacharach were the two songwriters with songs everybody wanted to record. So Burt wrote a song for Bob to get the both of best worlds, but he apparently never responded.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 02:48 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16693
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
goodnitesteve wrote:
I wasn't trying to replicate any particular Dylan style here, but give it a listen!

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (performed by goodnitesteve, with harmonica)
https://thunderbirdcafe.bandcamp.com/tr ... rach-cover



Nice!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 11:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 1481
goodnitesteve wrote:
From what Wuhl said, Bob and Burt Bacharach were the two songwriters with songs everybody wanted to record. So Burt wrote a song for Bob to get the both of best worlds, but he apparently never responded.



If a song falls on Bob Dylan's head but nobody hears it, does a bear shit in the woods?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 18:01 GMT 

Joined: Tue March 8th, 2005, 12:56 GMT
Posts: 397
http://performingsongwriter.com/raindrops-fallin-head/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 21:18 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 25th, 2007, 21:54 GMT
Posts: 1726
McG wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:
From what Wuhl said, Bob and Burt Bacharach were the two songwriters with songs everybody wanted to record. So Burt wrote a song for Bob to get the both of best worlds, but he apparently never responded.



If a song falls on Bob Dylan's head but nobody hears it, does a bear shit in the woods?


I don't think it's gonna happen


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRPzigray, McG


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group