Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 05:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 12:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was listening to actor Robert Wuhl on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and he told the story of how Burt Bacharach wrote the song Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head for Bob. He sent it to Bob and he never responded. Apparently, the lines and melody are supposed to be for Bob. Do you hear it?

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 12:14 GMT 

Errrr...no

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 13:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hard to imagine but it's a very catchy song and will probably be stuck in my head all morning now - which I don't even mind, especially if I can imagine Dylan singing it in his New Morning voice.

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 15:39 GMT 

I hadn't heard that, but kind of see it working as a Dylan song considering the stuff Bob was recording around that time. It fits in the schmaltzier stuff from Self Portrait/Dylan/New Morning. It's a perfect song to sing a hacky nasal Bob Dylan vocal impression to. Give it a shot--it lifted my mood this morning! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 20:35 GMT 

Song reminds me of my ex husband passed out on the couch through the latter half of the late eighties. " 2 liter bottle of cheap vodka and this side of the record on repeat. I've had an aversion to vinyl ever since!

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 12:57 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I was listening to actor Robert Wuhl on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and he told the story of how Burt Bacharach wrote the song Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head for Bob. He sent it to Bob and he never responded. Apparently, the lines and melody are supposed to be for Bob. Do you hear it?

Yes. Even the goofball who had the hit Dylanizes the verses a bit now that I recall it with that strange approximating technique. Very funny and nothing I would have thought of without it being claimed and explained.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

From what I've read and understood, the song wasn't written for Bob. It was written for the movie Butch Cassidy and presented to a few different singers including BJ Thomas, who recorded it. Bob either declined or never responded.

Every famous person gets bombarded with stuff they decline or don't respond to, so it's basically meaningless. I think "written for Bob Dylan" is just a cute little distortion that makes the story more interesting than "sent to Dylan with no response".

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
Hard to imagine but it's a very catchy song and will probably be stuck in my head all morning now - which I don't even mind, especially if I can imagine Dylan singing it in his New Morning voice.

I've been humming along to the love and theft voice version, and that too is glorious!

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 17:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wasn't trying to replicate any particular Dylan style here, but give it a listen!

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (performed by goodnitesteve, with harmonica)
https://thunderbirdcafe.bandcamp.com/tr ... rach-cover

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 18:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

From what Wuhl said, Bob and Burt Bacharach were the two songwriters with songs everybody wanted to record. So Burt wrote a song for Bob to get the both of best worlds, but he apparently never responded.

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 02:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

goodnitesteve wrote:
I wasn't trying to replicate any particular Dylan style here, but give it a listen!

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (performed by goodnitesteve, with harmonica)
https://thunderbirdcafe.bandcamp.com/tr ... rach-cover

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 11:00 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
From what Wuhl said, Bob and Burt Bacharach were the two songwriters with songs everybody wanted to record. So Burt wrote a song for Bob to get the both of best worlds, but he apparently never responded.

If a song falls on Bob Dylan's head but nobody hears it, does a bear shit in the woods?

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 18:01 GMT 

http://performingsongwriter.com/raindrops-fallin-head/

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 21:18 GMT 

McG wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

If a song falls on Bob Dylan's head but nobody hears it, does a bear shit in the woods?

I don't think it's gonna happen