Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 05:49 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cohen & Bob circa: 85
PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 04:10 GMT 

Bob learned hallelujah after hanging with Cohen. Was it after a show or did they hang out for a few days? I've heard both stories, perhaps both are true?

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 15:07 GMT 

Apparently, Bob and Leonard met in a café in Paris after one of Bobs concerts there (in 1984, if I remember correctly). From what I've read, Hallelujah was one of the topics discussed then.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 16:24 GMT 

Quote:
Here there is an ironic and warm “feeling.” I wanted to get into this tradition of the composers who said “Hallelujah,” but with no precisely religious point of view. And then I realize there is a “Hallelujah” more general that we speak to the world, to life… It's a rather joyous song. I like very much the last verse. I remember singin' it to Bob Dylan after his last concert in Paris. The morning after, I was having coffee with him and we traded lyrics. Dylan especially liked this last verse, "And even though it all went wrong, I stand before the Lord of song with nothing on my lips but Hallelujah.

http://www.leonardcohen-prologues.com/hallelujah.htm

Quote:
“He said, ‘I like this song you wrote called Hallelujah.’ In fact, he started doing it in concert. He said, ‘How long did that take you to write?’ And I said, ‘Oh, the best part of two years.’ He said, ‘Two years?’ Kinda shocked. And then we started talking about a song of his called I And I from Infidels. I said, ‘How long did you take to write that.’ He said, ‘Ohh, 15 minutes.’ I almost fell off my chair. Bob just laughed.”
~Leonard Cohen (quoted in Telegraph 41, p. 30)

Quote:
Bob Dylan first performed Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ on July 8, 1988 at the Forum de
Montréal in Canada. Montréal is Cohen’s home town and it is possible that he attended the show.
Dylan’s second and final performance, on his “Interstate 88” tour, was on August 4, 1988, at the
final night of a three show residency at the Greek Theatre, Hollywood.

Dylan and Leonard Cohen first met sometime in the late ’60s and have remained friends ever
since, meeting whenever the opportunity arises. One such occasion was after a concert in Paris,
probably Dylan’s October 7, 1987 show at P.O.P.B. Bercy. The two songwriters spent some
considerable time talking shop, over coffee, in a café somewhere in the 14th Arrondissment of
Paris. Dylan told Cohen that he especially liked the ending to his then new song ‘Hallelujah’.

http://alldylan.com/bob-dylans-two-live-versions-of-leonard-cohens-hallelujah-audio/

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 21:30 GMT 

Strange, but despite their long friendship I don't believe there are any photos of Bob and Leonard together. Am I wrong?